+ Reply to Thread

Default Why do IT salespeople insist on talking on the phone?

Quite often when I can't buy something online in the traditional way (add to cart, type in credit card, etc), I'll have to email a vendor. For some reason, they don't want to give quotes via email and insist that I call them. I feel like they're stuck in the 1980's or something.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    GXPN, GPEN, GCIH, GPYC, CISSP, C|EH, CCNA, MCSE:S, MCSA, MCP, A+/N+/S+/L+/P+
    We're all stuck dealing with the wake created by people that can be manipulated by whispering sweet nothings into their ear. Sales people know that a decent enough chunk of people will buy more stuff if they can get some phone time. Ever wondered why cold calls and telemarketing are still a thing?

Make them play by your rules.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearBeavis View Post
    For some reason, they don't want to give quotes via email and insist that I call them.
    It is because on the phone they can hear your tone, your interest and adapt their pitch for best effect - using their skills of manipulating peoples perceptions to make the sale. Email etc is impersonal and cold and terrible for making a sale - epecially if it isn't something you want to buy.

With this technique they can also persuade you to consider a warranty and other extras you never planned on buying in the first place.

It is how these people make their living - accept it, learn how to say no and the world is a happy place once more.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    -->
    If a salesperson is going to make me waste time on the phone, then I want a free lunch in return.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE Sec, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+
    Or sometimes it can be to prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot by using oversized or undersized equipment or in a way that is against best practice (i.e. " Oh gee this ASA 5505 has a gig port and the newest code supports BGP. I'm going to use this as my edge router and connect it to my gig circuit" <- this stuff happens a TON).
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Security+, Network+, Linux+, Linux Essentials
    I’m leaning towards so they can convince you to say yes when you’ve decided to say no.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks