+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Security, CCNA Wireless
    #1

    Default Cisco, Palo Alto, Dell, etc... - Bugs in network hardware

    90% of my daily work is with Cisco hardware, with the other 10% being a mix of HP / Aruba switching and a few other big names on the firewall side.

    My question is whether or not manufacturers outside of Cisco experience bugs? If so, is this a common occurrence?

    I've seen plenty of threads online with people asking who is better, and then a big list of vendor bashing takes place. That's not my intent of this question, but more recently I have run into countless confirmed bugs with Cisco gear (security, routing, wireless). I'm just curious if the same happens with other vendors. I've seen some weird stuff with Sonicwall firewalls in the past, but again, most of my work is Cisco, and then a bit of HP / Aruba switching, so working in a consulting role with a single manufacturer, I'm sure bugs are more likely to pop up.

    Would appreciate any feedback.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS
  3. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,804

    Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE Sec, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+
    #2
    Yes, every vendor has bugs. The larger the customer base and company size, the more you will hear about the bugs but they exist with every vendor.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,969

    Certifications
    BS-CST MLS CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA CMFF CCO CCPA
    #3
    Bugs are a security professionals bread and butter. Humans write code and thus flaws exist. I'd even go so far as to say there is no technology that doesn't have a bug or flaw of some kind.
    WIP:
    Python
    Kotlin
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    908

    Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCDA, CCNA: Security, CCNA: R&S, MTA: Networking Fundamentals, Security+, Network+, Linux+, A+, Project+
    #4
    Thanks Cisco for releasing an ASA patch, then letting us know days later we need to upgrade again. I love waking up at 5:30 to reload some firewalls.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,564

    Certifications
    GPEN, GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    #5
    What Iris said


    I worked with servers vendors before and most of them have bugs releases on a weekly basis sometimes...it doesn't mean you NEED to apply all those patches on a weekly basis. This is where your vulnerability management team (if they exist) come into play. Some bugs are categorized as CRITICAL by vendors but when you understand they're not so critical..

    while some bugs are categorized Medium (for example Microsoft categories Privilege escalation as Medium...) when in fact they can be fairly damaging....

    again assess the patches and where the devices are located within your network. Hardware/Firmware/OS/server etc...they all have bug fixes and improvements constantly pushed..RedHat/Oracle/Cisco/HP/etc..they all do it. It's part of the Software lifecycle..

    Have you been updating your iPhone lately?
    Goal: MBA, March 2020
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Security, CCNA Wireless
    #6
    Appreciate the feedback so far. I kinda figured bugs were throughout different manufacturers; I just don't work with many outside of Cisco in my current role, and in previous roles networks were larger, but they were less complex. We just didn't run into cases where specific bugs caused bigger user impact.

    @hurricane1091 - Yes, that is certainly one that stands out. We saw webvpn configs and certificates get ripped out as a result of the patches in the 9.8 train. It made for a busy couple of weeks, and we're still patching, but it was interesting to see.

    I'm still a fan of Cisco gear, but I'm a little quicker to open TAC cases than double-checking my work now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member yoba222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    710

    Certifications
    CySA+, LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, CompTIA Trifecta
    #7
    Instead of taking our word for it, see them for yourself.
    https://www.cvedetails.com/vendor.php
    2018: CCNA Cyber Ops cohort 7
    2019: OSCP | CISSP or CISA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks