Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Facebook

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.

Default Facebook

Interesting comments from psychologist.

'A psychologist is urging people to get off Facebook and other social networking sites, and get a life instead... '

'Get off Facebook and get a life' - Yahoo! News UK

2. SS -->
  3. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    NO!

I won't do it

you can't make me....

hey just a minute, but i need to finish this post, it'll only take......daskdlaskd ..s
    .ds
    a.ssd
    d.a
    ad

(hauled off to the institution)

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astorrs View Post
    NO!

I won't do it

you can't make me....

hey just a minute, but i need to finish this post, it'll only take......daskdlaskd ..s
    .ds
    a.ssd
    d.a
    ad

hahahahah

Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    NO!

I won't do it

you can't make me....

.ds
    a.ssd
    d.a
    ad

beautiful!

...but seriously, Facebook has its evils but it has its good points too. It enabled me to get back in touch with family & friends, and it helps me keep in touch & keep up with the happenings of my family & friends. If all you're doing is putzing around Facebook though, THEN there's a problem! Just know when to say when and make sure to periodically get some real life human interaction and you'll be okay.

Certifications
    CCNP:R&S, CCDA
    Quote Originally Posted by skrpune View Post
    beautiful!

...but seriously, Facebook has its evils but it has its good points too. It enabled me to get back in touch with family & friends, and it helps me keep in touch & keep up with the happenings of my family & friends. If all you're doing is putzing around Facebook though, THEN there's a problem! Just know when to say when and make sure to periodically get some real life human interaction and you'll be okay.
    Keeping in touch with family is cool... now if I could keep all of those idiots from high school from attempting to add me I'd be happy. lol.

7. Senior Member
    NO!

I won't do it

you can't make me....

.ds
    a.ssd
    d.a
    ad

lol i needed that

Certifications
    x^n
    They said the same thing, we should get of the internet and goto library, talk to real people instead chat online. Not sure about other IT guys, but as I travel around the U.S and sometime international. Facebook and other online social network provided a great way to keep them in contact and maintain good friendship or partnership...

Just throw away those article and drag to the Recycle Bin. Amen...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCSA, MCTS, VCP 4/5, CCENT, CCNA
    Facebook is a great way of keeping in touch with old friends etc. I mainly use it on my phone when I'm bored.

10. Where's Waldo Finalist

Certifications
    I used to care what this said.
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    Keeping in touch with family is cool... now if I could keep all of those idiots from high school from attempting to add me I'd be happy. lol.

I just checked and i have 34 friend requests. Trust me im not that popular i just dont add people. It probably doesnt help that i pretty much hate fb, myspace, etc......

11. NEED I.T. JOB

Talking Get off facebook and get a life?

I agree with the fact that facebook is awesome if you want to find family and friends to keep in touch with that you never want to talk to on the phone but maintain a good superficial relationship where you can also add them as friends so that you can spy in on all their friends and other family members and see their status, their pictures, what their family looks like, their likes and all that stuff...(yeah, stalker!)

You should get a life if you fit one of these following categories:

1. If you are the guy that is POKING ME, stop it!
    2. If you are the freak who wants to KIDNAP ME, get off! My family doesn't have any money!
    3. If you are the person telling me to take the "5 of your friends are smarter than you, so see how you compare IQ quiz", realize that some of us plain and simply DON'T CARE! I'll be dumber!
    4. If you are the lonely human who started this group: "If 1 million people join this i will get the facebook logo as a tattoo" (-seriously, this is a real facebook group! -he is about 952,000 members shy still), then you need to go join Myspace where the teenie boppers who have nothing to do might care to join your group.
    5. If you are sending me a "message with roses" (weirdo), look at your inbox for a "message with a suicide bomber" and open it!

So yeah, I love facebook )

12. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    That kind of reminds me of something I saw on the IEEE site a while back: This is Your Brain on Google. Apparently, things like computers, TV, and video games change the brain functions in the frontal lobe. While our ability to pay attention to multiple sources of information at once goes up, our ability to interact socially goes down.

Oddly enough, I'm fine with that.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Certifications
    Maybe...
    That looks pretty good. I just picked up the e-book. BTW, I posted the article on FB and got tons of comments on it already. LOL! I'm going to have fun with this.

14. Senior Member
    Got invited onto it by the mrs so to show willing and that I wasn't a total geek I joined up. Ever since then it has just been SPAM SPAM SPAM by friends (not mine), family and people I have no clue who they are.....

Once I figured out how to ignore it got a lot better.

Seem to me to be a load of people with bugger all else to do than sit in their little rooms at night writing messages to each other.
    For instance
    X is leaving work after a tired day.
    X is just arrived home after heavy traffic
    X is now finished dinner and on computer for the night

I mean ... jevus... !!! I know I am sad and sit up in my room studying and playing with my lab but surely I am not that pathetic !

Anyone with loads and loads of friends needs to get out more in my book.

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Security+ MCP (70-290)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turgon View Post
    'A psychologist is urging people to get off Facebook and other social networking sites, and get a life instead... '
    That's what they used to say about D&D.
    Although I have to say that anything that makes you more accessible to more people can't be good.

16. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    Something for the socially-interactive in all of us: How to Tweet Your Way Out of a Job

Very reminiscent of the old stories about people being fired for what they posted on MySpace and Facebook about their employers. Hell, if this is a sign of the intelligence-level inspired by social networking, then I say that first link is right. Stop posting on Facebook, Twitter, in chatrooms, message boards. . . err. . . wait a minute. . .

ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Certifications
    MCDST, MCSA, CCENT, GSEC
    What is twitter? Or tweeting? LOL. Sounds weird, I thought it was like changing your status on facebook or something?

I don't get people who have to change every detail about their life in the status updates on facebook. Like "I am going to the bathroom". 2 minutes later. "I am back from the bathroom." In fact people that even change their status on facebook spend too much time on facebook and just want attention I would guess.

18. Senior Member
    Can someone give me the URL for the Facebook profile pictures?

19. was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by loxleynew View Post
    What is twitter? Or tweeting? LOL. Sounds weird, I thought it was like changing your status on facebook or something?

I don't get people who have to change every detail about their life in the status updates on facebook. Like "I am going to the bathroom". 2 minutes later. "I am back from the bathroom." In fact people that even change their status on facebook spend too much time on facebook and just want attention I would guess.
    If you thought Facebook statuses were bad then don't ever go look at Twitter. There is a Penny Arcade comic regarding this. It sounds a little harsh but most people just aren't interesting enough to warrant a blog or twitter feed.

20. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBright View Post
    Can someone give me the URL for the Facebook profile pictures?
    Not sure I understand what you're asking for...

21. Senior Member
    Not sure I understand what you're asking for...

right click > properties on the profile pictures > url

All the other pictures in Facebook show up aside from the profile pictures. I need to unblock the domain they reside on.

22. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA
    The article is a bit of a slippery slope. If abused anything can lead to problems. Facebook and any other internet site is no different. I use facebook for 10 to 15 minutes per day and feel that I actually have many relationships that are stronger because of the site.

23. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBright View Post
    right click > properties on the profile pictures > url

All the other pictures in Facebook show up aside from the profile pictures. I need to unblock the domain they reside on.
    http://profile.ak.facebook.com

so just unblock http://*.facebook.com

24. Member

Certifications
    70-270, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by loxleynew View Post
    That's what it pretty much is, facebook without all the bells and whistles. I think its worthless but people predict its going to get more and more popular and possibly overtake FB.

Certifications
    A few...
    I find it funny that if you go to a job interview, most employers now use your social networking sites to make candidate selection choices on top of other information gathered from the interview and your resume.

So if you have pictures of you drinking with ya buddies in ya swimming trunks or other information that could possibly bestow doubt in the employer mind that you are irresponsible in your personal life regardless of your professional life and whats on your resume then chances are they wont hire you... Pretty cool huh?

I personally learnt my lesson with this as it cost me a job in the past, so its best to have your social network sites and profiles private.

Also Google your name, email address on ya resume and screen names possibly tied to that email address so you can see what information potential employers find out about you.

But ultimately I'll agree with this report, social networking sites are too addictive and time wasting when you can be

26. Member

Certifications
    70-270, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
    I find it funny that if you go to a job interview, most employers now use your social networking sites to make candidate selection choices on top of other information gathered from the interview and your resume.

So if you have pictures of you drinking with ya buddies in ya swimming trunks or other information that could possibly bestow doubt in the employer mind that you are irresponsible in your personal life regardless of your professional life and whats on your resume then chances are they wont hire you... Pretty cool huh?

I personally learnt my lesson with this as it cost me a job in the past, so its best to have your social network sites and profiles private.

Also Google your name, email address on ya resume and screen names possibly tied to that email address so you can see what information potential employers find out about you.

But ultimately I'll agree with this report, social networking sites are too addictive and time wasting when you can be
    Yah, your social networking site has become just about as important as your resume these days.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks