+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.

Default Rebooting after login

I have a couple dell computers that are rebooting after my novell login. I can't figure out whats wrong with them...

Any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member
    Do you get any BSODs?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Nope. Just rebooting after you hit enter.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec +, CCNA, CCNA:S, CISSP, ITIL, CEH, GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GCED, GSLC, PMP
    Is it profile specific?

Can you log in under another account and it works?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    how about starting up in safe mode? If that goes ok, then it's likely a driver issue.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skrpune View Post
    how about starting up in safe mode? If that goes ok, then it's likely a driver issue.

This.

Most likely, NIC/Video Card driver issue.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    What would the driver issue be though? I checked out safe mode and everything went fine. No problems. I tried re-installing the network driver.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    Not related, but still a fun story... I once was a Jr. Instructor for a course that taught MCSE exam objectives. At the end of the course the students had to build a lab consisting of a multi-domain, multi-site routed environment. Once we confirmed they had completed all the objectives we, the Jr. Instructors, were allowed to break their labs. They had an hour to get them up and running. I would load batch files into the startup menu that would fource a reboot after someone logged in. It was relatively easy for them to find. But then I would force the reboot on another server and it got harder...

The hardest thing for them to figure out was when I would bootup BackTrack and use the RPC overflow exploit on their unpatched servers (Server 2003 no SPs at all). I'd load VNC remotely, I'd change their passwords, fubar their DNS, all from my Linux virtual machine. It was fun. Only one guy ever figured out that he needed to update the servers. He had no idea what I was doing, but some how managed to work out it was a security hole. Another hard one was only slightly unplugging their network cables. Just enough to not make contact, but not fall out. *sigh* good times...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC_Addy View Post
    What would the driver issue be though? I checked out safe mode and everything went fine. No problems. I tried re-installing the network driver.
    When did this start occuring? Have you tried rolling back the driver? It might have been due to an update... Do the Dell machines all have the same NIC?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    I'm guessing I'll have to roll back the driver to see.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    Also, it could be any driver if it is indeed a driver problem. It could be a hardware failure as well, but it would be very unlikely to affect multiple machines simultaneously.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+: IT Technician & Network+ (N10-004)
    Start up your computer with "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure" or something similarly named. You get there by tapping the F8 key like you would to get to Safe-Mode. Instead of your computer restarting, you'll most likely a BSOD that could help you solve your problem.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); MCSA 2016/2012/2K3/2K; MCSE:S 2K3/2K; MCSE:M 2K3/2K; MCTS:Exch2K7; EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; Security+; A+
    Step #1: What recently changed on these computers?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 1/29/2018 - Passed 70-743 - MCSA 2016 Complete; 1/13/2018 - Passed 70-411 - MCSA 2012 complete
    Working on: Being a better coder, build/test/deploy automation fundamentals
    Future: Renew VCP (due 2/2019), possibly with an adjacent VCP or VCAP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by blargoe View Post
    Step #1: What recently changed on these computers?
    absolutely nothing
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    I got another one for you.

Whenever I load Control Panel (Windows XP) I click on Add / Remove Programs. I get the BSOD.

Error;

Bad pool.

This is on a Dell GX760.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC_Addy View Post
    I got another one for you.

Whenever I load Control Panel (Windows XP) I click on Add / Remove Programs. I get the BSOD.

Error;

Bad pool.

This is on a Dell GX760.
    It seems as though it's a USB error, which I have ran into before. But all that is plugged in is my keyboard and mouse.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); MCSA 2016/2012/2K3/2K; MCSE:S 2K3/2K; MCSE:M 2K3/2K; MCTS:Exch2K7; EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; Security+; A+
    Same computers?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 1/29/2018 - Passed 70-743 - MCSA 2016 Complete; 1/13/2018 - Passed 70-411 - MCSA 2012 complete
    Working on: Being a better coder, build/test/deploy automation fundamentals
    Future: Renew VCP (due 2/2019), possibly with an adjacent VCP or VCAP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by blargoe View Post
    Same computers?
    No the first batch of computers were GX755.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks