+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Senior Member exampasser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    714

    Certifications
    Bachelors in IT,Network+
    #1

    Default I have a real FUN semester comming up . . .

    The spring semester starts in a few days for me. The biggest class I'm dreading is Linux. It sounded interesting at first until I learned from my advisor that it's the most failed course and many students spend 30-40 hours a week on it. She recommended that I take it alone but with it surprisingly being only worth 3 credit hours, I had to take 3 additional classes for full-time. I just got 2 600+ sheet packets in the mail yesterday front and back. I do use Linux and have been an A student for over 3 yrs straight but I'm still a bit worried about it. I wished that it would be either worth more credit hours or that the work load be reduced. That's skrewl for you!
    Last edited by exampasser; 01-05-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    702

    Certifications
    Most Recent: CISSP & CCDA
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by exampasser View Post
    The spring semester starts in a few days for me. The biggest class I'm dreading is Linux. It sounded interesting at first until I learned from my advisor that it's the most failed course and many students spend 30-40 hours a week on it. She recommended that I take it alone but with it surprisingly being only worth 3 credit hours, I had to take 3 additional classes for full-time. I just got 2 2000+ sheet packets in the mail yesterday front and back. I do use Linux and have been an A student for over 3 yrs straight but I'm still a bit worried about it. I wished that it would be either worth more credit hours or that the work load be reduced. That's skrewl for you!
    You'll be fine if you apply yourself. Its actually much easier than people think to get it up and running since so much of it is GUI now. Learn the commands get a linux box or vmware and practise and you will get it. Its a very in demand skill.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member exampasser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    714

    Certifications
    Bachelors in IT,Network+
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by GAngel View Post
    You'll be fine if you apply yourself. Its actually much easier than people think to get it up and running since so much of it is GUI now. Learn the commands get a linux box or vmware and practise and you will get it. Its a very in demand skill.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    I already have a computer dual booted with linux (Fedora 11).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Psychotron Member Megadeth4168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,162

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Server+,Project+,MCSE, CCNA:S, CISSP, CCNP, CEH, GCED
    #4
    My next semester starts up next week. I too will be taking a Linux class, the one I'm taking is intro to Linux. I have no previous experience with Linux so this should be interesting. It sounds like you may have an advantage already. Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member exampasser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    714

    Certifications
    Bachelors in IT,Network+
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Megadeth4168 View Post
    My next semester starts up next week. I too will be taking a Linux class, the one I'm taking is intro to Linux. I have no previous experience with Linux so this should be interesting. It sounds like you may have an advantage already. Good luck!
    Good luck to you as well
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member Mrock4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,327

    Certifications
    CCDA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE R&S, Security+, CISSP, SCP #2235, CCNA: DC
    #6
    Best of luck to you in your upcoming class! I just started two classes yesterday, Psychology, and Network security. I have 150 pages to read in the next couple of days..pretty brutal! Especially considering after taking ONT tomorrow, I'm going to dive directly into the CCDA and take that in a few weeks..I don't know how I'm going to keep up!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Baroo? skrpune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,409

    Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    #7
    add me to the list of folks with a semester starting up next week. Dayum, where did winter break go?!?!

    This semester I'm taking advanced operating systems, topics in compiler theory, and discrete modeling & analysis. It's my first semester with a full load of masters-level courses, and I'm a little afeared. I did fine last semester taking three classes, but I only switched to working full time for the last few weeks of the semester and two of the classes were 300/undergrad level. Me thinks it's gonna be a tough next few months, but if I stick it out and keep up the work/school schedule, I might be able to finish up in the spring of 2011 rather than summer or fall.

    Here's to hoping all our heads don't pop this semester!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    152

    Certifications
    Network Administration student at HTC, currently working on CCENT/CCNA
    #8
    haha one of my co-workers, who can be kinda a slacker(he admits it), is taking his first linux class next semester as well as 3 other classes. But thinks I'm nuts taking 5! Which is CCNA-3, Windows Admin 2, XHTML, Marriage and family(sociology) and Critical thinking.

    I already know how CCNA-3 and Windows will be. XHTML, I've been briefed, plus have little prior experience. Marriage and family will be hilarious since I've been single for 6 years and have no kids, lol, Critical thinking will be fun, but kinda tough, I'm assuming...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member exampasser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    714

    Certifications
    Bachelors in IT,Network+
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbrog View Post
    haha one of my co-workers, who can be kinda a slacker(he admits it), is taking his first linux class next semester as well as 3 other classes. But thinks I'm nuts taking 5! Which is CCNA-3, Windows Admin 2, XHTML, Marriage and family(sociology) and Critical thinking.

    I already know how CCNA-3 and Windows will be. XHTML, I've been briefed, plus have little prior experience. Marriage and family will be hilarious since I've been single for 6 years and have no kids, lol, Critical thinking will be fun, but kinda tough, I'm assuming...
    XHTML is not difficult, It's just a revised version of HTML.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    152

    Certifications
    Network Administration student at HTC, currently working on CCENT/CCNA
    #10
    Yeah thats what I've gathered, its been years but, from what I've heard, the teacher in particular, can be very unclear in assignments, thats the only issue I have, and this semester another teacher isn't a option, cause this class is online only, the others are in class, but the time is taken up by my windows and cisco classes
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member exampasser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    714

    Certifications
    Bachelors in IT,Network+
    #11
    To make my semester more fun I have just been informed that my grandpa has congestive heart failure . . .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. VCDX in 2017 Essendon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,489

    Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    #12
    God have mercy...
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

    Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. I eat bubbles Alif_Sadida_Ekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    332
    #13
    First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandfather. That really sucks...

    Second, I'll be joining you guys next week for my classes as well: Trigonometry, World Regional Geography, and Geology. The only one I'm kinda looking forward to is Geology since it seems halfway interesting. The other two? Ick.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,868

    Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    #14
    I have one class that starts this week and my others start next week. I have a web development class using dreamweaver, intro to psycology, database and design, and history of grand rapids.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Baroo? skrpune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,409

    Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Alif_Sadida_Ekin View Post
    Trigonometry, World Regional Geography, and Geology. The only one I'm kinda looking forward to is Geology since it seems halfway interesting. The other two? Ick.
    If you need help with the geology stuff, give me a shout...that's what I got my bachelors in [granted, it was umpteen years ago] and I was a T.A. for a couple classes, and my hubby is now a geology prof. What's the geo class you're taking, is it an intro class to satisfy science credits? Environmental, physical, or historical?

    Quick little side story: when I was doing my undergrad, we called the 100-level geo classes "rocks for jocks." My most memorable moment from one of those classes is when a student stopped the prof mid-lecture and said, "Excuse me, you keep using the terms 'sun' and 'star' interchangeably...are you trying to imply that the sun is a star?!" I almost fell out of my chair.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Baroo? skrpune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,409

    Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by exampasser View Post
    To make my semester more fun I have just been informed that my grandpa has congestive heart failure . . .
    So sorry to hear about your grandfather
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member NetworkingStudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,162

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, and Security+. MTA: OS
    #17
    I know you will pass this class, just look at that network+ certification next to your name, if you can pass that challenging certification exam, then I know you can pass this Linux class!!
    Do you need a study buddy for the Linux class? I just started a Linux class this semester titled ”Principles of Linux”, and I would love to talk to someone who is also taking a similar class and share ideas, tips, and study guides. Currently, we are installing SUSE Linux, and using the book titled “Getting Started with Linux: Novell's Guide to CompTIA's Linux+ (Course 3060)”
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

    --Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. I eat bubbles Alif_Sadida_Ekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    332
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by skrpune View Post
    If you need help with the geology stuff, give me a shout...that's what I got my bachelors in [granted, it was umpteen years ago] and I was a T.A. for a couple classes, and my hubby is now a geology prof. What's the geo class you're taking, is it an intro class to satisfy science credits? Environmental, physical, or historical?
    I actually remember reading somewhere where you stated that you're BS is in Geology. That's why I chose wisely not to badmouth that class All joking aside, it really does look like an interesting class. It's just intro to Geology to satisfy my science requirement. It doesn't look too difficult, but if I have a question, I'll take you up on your offer and I'll PM you!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkingStudent View Post
    I know you will pass this class, just look at that network+ certification next to your name, if you can pass that challenging certification exam, then I know you can pass this Linux class!!
    Do you need a study buddy for the Linux class? I just started a Linux class this semester titled ”Principles of Linux”, and I would love to talk to someone who is also taking a similar class and share ideas, tips, and study guides. Currently, we are installing SUSE Linux, and using the book titled “Getting Started with Linux: Novell's Guide to CompTIA's Linux+ (Course 3060)”
    It would be really awesome if we could get a linux study group going. I am trying to get one going in the linux+ area
    Linux+ in the coming months

    But there has not been much activity. It would be cool if we had a central place for linux noobs to get their learn on. You wouldn't even need to take the L+ at all. BTW I have a linux class coming up next quarter but I want to get the L+ cert so I can take the advanced class (LINUX/UNIX security and networking for network engineers).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. sporadic member shednik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,005

    Certifications
    CCNP, JNCIP-ENT, JNCIS-SP, JNCIA, JNCDA, CCNA, CCNA:Security, MCP, A+, N+, L+, MST:InfoSec, CNSS 4011-4015
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by skrpune View Post
    add me to the list of folks with a semester starting up next week. Dayum, where did winter break go?!?!

    This semester I'm taking advanced operating systems, topics in compiler theory, and discrete modeling & analysis.
    Oh those classes sound like a blast skrpune Don't have too much fun!! I luckily have a much light semester in the spring rather then the intro to security and cryptography. Network security and networking lab will be much easier it looks like for me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks