+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertKaucher View Post
    This is the best PoSh book I have read to date. If you are a SharePoint admin you need this book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Artist's impression mikedisd2's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSE, CCNA, ITIL, Dipl.IT, 70-620, 70-647
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_GA View Post
    As far as the post goes... to be honest, I have so many 'to be read' books, it's not funny. I keep picking up new stuff before I finish the old stuff.
    I used to be like that with beer, opening another one before finishing the last one.

Updating my MSCE so I guess I'm just waiting for the MSpress book to arrive. Sure isn't a wish though.
    Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-648 & 70-649): Transitioning Your MCSA/MCSE to Windows Server® 2008 (9780735626331): Orin Thomas, Ian McLean Dr: Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, CNSS 4011
    just picked up the back track book. looking forward to diving into this one over the next week or so.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Anonymous got lucky. When five of its hackers attacked security company HBGary Federal on February 6, 2011, they were doing so in order to defend the group’s privacy. It wasn’t because they hoped to reveal plans to attack WikiLeaks, create surveillance cells targeting pro-union organizations, and sell sophisticated rootkits to the US government for use as offensive cyber weapons—but that’s what they found.

In the weeks after the attack, the hackers released tens of thousands of e-mail messages and made headlines around the world. Aaron Bar, the CEO of HBGary Federal, eventually resigned; 12 Congressman called for an investigation; an ethics complaint was lodged against a major DC law firm involved with some of the more dubious plans.

Join Ars' editors as they dig into the secret world of Anonymous and hackers for hire in Unmasked.
    This looks really interesting. Anyone read it yet?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    I have to admit, I've had this on my wishlist for a while, as well: Zero Day: A Novel.

On the one hand, it looks to be another attempt to make hacking into an Ocean's 11 style heist, in the flavor of Tom Clancy style political intrigue. On the other, it's written by Mark Russinovich. I might pick it up sometime soon, just to sate my curiosity.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member
    I really need to get these.

Configuring Windows 7 Training Kit 70-680
    Windows 7 Administrators Pocket Consultant
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_GA View Post
    POSNA I could I be a little more forgiving on, it's a weighty tome, but it's still worth it's weight in gold. The day I got my copy, I took it into work (was at a previous job) and started reading excerpts in the NOC, generally those regarding good practices.
    I only got a few chapters in, but what I read up to that point seemed like common sense. I plan to pick it back up again in the future. Was a pretty easy read.

I've read the following books this year:
    Absolute C++ - Great, great, great book for anyone looking to learn C++ from scratch. I went through several other books trying to find a good intro book and this one is absolutely it. I'm trying to get ready for a C++ Data Structures class and I took Java I & II about 7 years ago, so I don't remember a thing.

Network Flow Analysis - About 65% done with this. I'm finally starting down the path of non-cert oriented books about Networking. More looking towards how to be a good network admin rather than how to be good at configuring the gear. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.

Squid Proxy Server 3.1 Beginner's Guide - I was looking to set up a squid proxy server for testing and this book fit the bill nicely. Straight to the point, no nonsense type of book. If you're looking to get squid up and running and implement "X" feature, this is a good starting point.

Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches - This was my "I learned some Powershell a few years ago and let it atrophy so I need to get back in the game" book. Great book for learning the hows and whys of PowerShell.

As you can see, I jump around a lot on my technologies. Going forward, I want to stay focused on learning *nix and networking.

So my current wish list is something like this:
    Unix & Linux System Administration Handbook
    Essential System Administration
    I'm not really looking to be a *nix Admin, but I want to be competent enough to deploy services in support of daily network admin duties. I guess I could pick up a Linux+ book as well, but this book comes highly rated on amazon.

Mastering VMWare 4
    Essential SNMP
    Practical Packet Analysis
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
    I have to admit, I've had this on my wishlist for a while, as well: Zero Day: A Novel.

On the one hand, it looks to be another attempt to make hacking into an Ocean's 11 style heist, in the flavor of Tom Clancy style political intrigue. On the other, it's written by Mark Russinovich. I might pick it up sometime soon, just to sate my curiosity.
    Any one finished this yet? I'm thinking of getting it next month...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zartanasaurus View Post
    Absolute C++ - Great, great, great book for anyone looking to learn C++ from scratch. I went through several other books trying to find a good intro book and this one is absolutely it. I'm trying to get ready for a C++ Data Structures class and I took Java I & II about 7 years ago, so I don't remember a thing.
    Funny thing about that. I have the 1st Edition of Absolute C++ on my bookshelf as well as Problem Solving With C++, (mine's the fourth edition.) Both are from an intro to programming class I took about ten years ago.

I can recommend Problem Solving With C++ to anyone first starting out that wants a 'gentler' intro, but Absolute C++ is definitely worth every penny if you're really wanting to dig your teeth into coding and move on to data structures & algorithms. I'd say it's been second only to the C++ Primer Plus, in my journey through C++ books so far.

ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    The 6th edition of Windows Internals is coming out: Windows Internals 6th Edition: Part 1
    I've been expecting this for a few months now and publication got pushed back a few times. I'm not certain there will be much new information but I'm going to make a point of going over the stuff on the networking stack. Excited to see if things like branch cache have been added.

But I will warn people it's a two part deal. I/O and other important components are going to be covered in part two.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, RHCSA
    Books, I currently own and haven't had time to completely read (dang Cisco 9.99 ebook deals):

Storage Networks Explained: http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Networks-Explained-Application-ebook/dp/B005UQCZ5W/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1333647973&sr=1-4

Amazon.com: Deploying OpenStack (9781449311056): Ken Pepple: Books

Smashwords — SSH Mastery: OpenSSH, PuTTY, Tunnels and Keys — A book by Michael W Lucas

Amazon.com: Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix eBook: Arnold Robbins, Nelson H. F. Beebe: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: Foundations of IT Service Management with ITIL 2011 eBook: Brady Orand, Julie Villarreal: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: Cloud Computing: Automating the Virtualized Data Center (Networking Technology) (9781587204340): Venkata Josyula, Malcolm Orr, Greg Page: Books

Amazon.com: Enterprise Network Testing: Testing Throughout the Network Lifecycle to Maximize Availability and Performance (Networking Technology) (9781587141270): Andy Sholomon, Tom Kunath: Books

Amazon.com: Cisco Firewalls (Networking Technology: Security) (9781587141096): Alexandre M.S.P. Moraes: Books

My main focus currently is
    Amazon.com: RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide (Exams EX200 & EX300), 6th Edition (Certification Press) (9780071765657): Michael Jang: Books
    with a supplement of
    Amazon.com: Hands-on Guide to the Red Hat® Exams: RHCSA™ and RHCE® Cert Guide and Lab Manual (Certification Guide) eBook: Damian Tommasino: Kindle Store

and my future list is way too long to post here. It spans the gamut, from Thor's Microsoft Security Bible and the boot Robert mentioned above, to IBM Redbooks on SANs, and finer detailed Red Hat guides like Security-Enhanced Linux . Although I must admit the Red Hat books will get more attention for the time being.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISA, CISSP, GIAC G2700, CEH, CHFI, Security+, CCENT, N+, A+
    I have had this book on my Amazon wish list for a while. I am not buying the Wireshark book until I am actually ready to drop the money to take the test.

Amazon.com: Wireshark Network Analysis: The Official Wireshark Certified Network Analyst Study Guide (978189393999: Laura Chappell, Gerald Combs: Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, RHCSA
    Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    I have had this book on my Amazon wish list for a while. I am not buying the Wireshark book until I am actually ready to drop the money to take the test.

Amazon.com: Wireshark Network Analysis: The Official Wireshark Certified Network Analyst Study Guide (978189393999: Laura Chappell, Gerald Combs: Books
    Have a look here and see if you can't find it in a local public library.

I guess this must be the abridged version:
    Amazon.com: Official Exam Prep Guide: Wireshark Certified Network Analyst eBook: Laura Chappell: Kindle Store
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post

That is one of the books I want to open after I finish the CCNA, but only after, because if I start opening the book I'm sure I'll get distracted
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    That is one of the books I want to open after I finish the CCNA, but only after, because if I start opening the book I'm sure I'll get distracted
    That's the way I am. I'm trying hard to get to the point where I can just read a book on something without trying to fully master it. That way I at least know what is possible with a technology, even if I must go back and get details about how to accomplish it. I at least finish the book and end up increasing my skill level over time.
    Last edited by RobertKaucher; 04-13-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. MCMLXXXVI :: L.O.A.D.B Xcluziv's Avatar

Certifications
    CIW Site Development
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcluziv View Post
    That's a pretty good book. I think the best one is Designing Solutions for Microsoft SharePoint 2010: Making the right architecture and implementation decisions (Patterns & Practices): Jason Lee, Chris Keyser, Robert Bogue, Todd Baginski: 9780735656086: Amazon.com: Books

I have a physical copy, I need to just break down and buy the Kindle edition, though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member
    Anything finance, excel, sql, vb, project management, service management, business analyst
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    in limbo right now

Default Wish List

Being a relative newb to the Cisco world, I have done HelpDesk/Desktop Support for almost 20 years though, these are next up on my list. I basically screwed off the first 18 years of my career, and now I am definitely paying for it.

Amazon.com: CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, includes CD-ROM: Exam 640-802 (9780470901076): Todd Lammle: Books

Amazon.com: Todd Lammle's CCNA IOS Commands Survival Guide (9780470175606): Todd Lammle: Books

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Portable-...=IYPN2INZO43Z5

Gene
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MSc (Networks), ITIL, MCSE, CCNA, CISA, ISO27k LA
    IT Governance: A Manager's Guide to Data Security and ISO 27001 / ISO 27002

this is what i am starting now followed by CISSP study guide.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Planning to get this after passing the CCNA

Amazon.com: Network Warrior (9781449387860): Gary A. Donahue: Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    #Cisco: NA #CompTIA: A.N.S
    Last edited by Roguetadhg; 08-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member
    I can agree
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks