+ Reply to Thread
  1. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    B.Sc, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    ‎"After the earth dies, some 5 billion years from now, after it’s burned to a crisp, or even swallowed by the Sun, there will be other worlds and stars and galaxies coming into being — and they will know nothing of a place once called Earth." - Carl Sagan.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. Login/register to remove this advertisement.
  3. 1337sauce

Certifications
    BS, Linux+, Security+, LPIC-1, MCSA Server [2008,2012], MCSA Windows 7, MCTS 70-[413,415,681], MCTS 74-409, VCA-DCV, Novell CLA/DCTS/CNS, HDI CSR
    I like articles like these
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. um yea i know some stuffs demonfurbie's Avatar

Certifications
    mct: 70-680, a+, network+, security+ (comptia tri-force) project+, ciw foundations, ciw javascript something
    same here

i know linux well but not certed up, i guess its finally time i look at the RHCE
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Sec+
    Me too, this makes me choose my career path even easier.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. 1337sauce

Certifications
    BS, Linux+, Security+, LPIC-1, MCSA Server [2008,2012], MCSA Windows 7, MCTS 70-[413,415,681], MCTS 74-409, VCA-DCV, Novell CLA/DCTS/CNS, HDI CSR
    I'm still undecided about going RHCE/RHCSA/LPIC-2/3 or branch out to VCP or CCNA/CCNA:S next.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, GIAC G2700, CEH, CHFI, Security+, CCENT, N+, A+
    Makes sense as data centers grow and companies look for different solutions. One of the links mentions some companies are willing to grow the talent in house and that is something that is important to make a note of. Sometimes your coworkers might not want to learn something new so that is a good opportunity to volunteer if you are interested. I think I would rather learn in a company that knows I am learning vs being hired and my skill level and their expectations are much higher.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Delivering
    I work for a monolith of a company and we recently went to one Linux print server inlieu 9 Windows print servers. They're thinking about making some other changes as well in the direction of Linux. Linux is gaining serious traction.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Netzwerksicherheit Master Of Puppets's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP R&S, CCNP Security
    That really is good news!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Security+, A.S. Cyber Security Systems, B.S. Cyber Security Systems/Digital Forensics Expected: Dec 2015
    The Penguin is moving fast
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Glad I started playing with CentOS!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. 1337sauce

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by N2IT View Post
    I work for a monolith of a company and we recently went to one Linux print server inlieu 9 Windows print servers. They're thinking about making some other changes as well in the direction of Linux. Linux is gaining serious traction.
    That is seriously awesome and representative of linux's ability to maximize efficiency while minimizing resources!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+. Server+, Security+, MCITP, CCNA, Various Vender Certs For Desktop/Server/Application Support, BS InfoTech
    Quote Originally Posted by lsud00d View Post
    That is seriously awesome and representative of linux's ability to maximize efficiency while minimizing resources!
    Not really. Nine servers were not required when a single one could have done it to begin with and it has nothing to do with Windows vs Linux as a single Windows print server can easily handle a huge number of printers on a network when properly configured and installed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Delivering
    Quote Originally Posted by lsud00d View Post

The Windows DHCP and DNS boxes were replaced as well with Linux. I'll find out the solution they are using, it's pretty sweet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. 1337sauce

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by WafflesAndRootbeer View Post
    Not really. Nine servers were not required when a single one could have done it to begin with and it has nothing to do with Windows vs Linux as a single Windows print server can easily handle a huge number of printers on a network when properly configured and installed.
    It sounds like a consolidation effort of print servers built out over a period of time. I agree with what you're saying but it's also true that enterprises are moving to linux servers for aforementioned reasons. It depends on the server OS but there can be massive savings over MS.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    B.Sc, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    Quote Originally Posted by WafflesAndRootbeer View Post
    ...as a single Windows print server can easily handle a huge number of printers on a network when properly configured and installed.

you still need to pay money for Windows license. Linux is free, that's the real difference.
    ‎"After the earth dies, some 5 billion years from now, after it’s burned to a crisp, or even swallowed by the Sun, there will be other worlds and stars and galaxies coming into being — and they will know nothing of a place once called Earth." - Carl Sagan.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, GIAC G2700, CEH, CHFI, Security+, CCENT, N+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by UnixGuy View Post
    you still need to pay money for Windows license. Linux is free, that's the real difference.
    Well "free" to an extent if you are willing to spend money to train your employees and keep hiring decent people. I would still pay for official support if I was signing the checks.

The CALs is probably a big part of the cost some companies are taking into consideration.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    ANS+, Server+, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2003 & 2008, CCNA
    Linux is not free. The hidden costs come from having to pay more to qualified Linux admins.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. um yea i know some stuffs demonfurbie's Avatar

Certifications
    mct: 70-680, a+, network+, security+ (comptia tri-force) project+, ciw foundations, ciw javascript something
    Quote Originally Posted by sratakhin View Post
    Linux is not free. The hidden costs come from having to pay more to qualified Linux admins.
    that depends on how many servers you have ... if you have one server yes windows is over all cheaper. however if you have say 200 servers then linux is cheaper
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Starcraft Engineer

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCTS Win 7, AD, Net Infrastructure
    If you have Datacenter on a single physical box with 200 VMs, you pay for one license. In general, Windows is very cost-competitive as you get to high numbers of servers.

There are legitimate reasons to use both, but I haven't seen any hard facts that show Linux is better for consolidating services. The idea that it is somehow superior at consolidating basic infrastructure services (DHCP, DNS, printers) in particular is fallacious. If bandwidth and architecture permit consolidation, then either OS can provide the service. There is no inherent limitation in a single Windows box as far as hosting different DNS zones, DHCP scopes, or printers that isn't present in Linxu. There may well be many reasons for a large organization to move to Linux servers, but I can't seriously believe anyone is doing it to consolidate those basic services, which IMO are easier to work with in Windows anyway.

Getting back on topic, I do think Linux admins are going to absolutely command higher salaries, because Windows is a more popular choice for IT professionals (hence, scarcity), and because Linux has a legitimately higher learning curve. If you have the drive and aptitude to work with Linux professionally, you're not going to struggle. That is not to say you will with struggle with Windows. Both are popular and have lots of need for high-skill professionals to implement and manage them.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member
    Interesting read - thanks for sharing.

One of the articles cite tco as reason for moving to Linux but I haven't seen that to be the case, at least not in the business that I support. I have the save view as ptilsen. We choose to use Linux and Windows where it's appropriate for the business. But none of my expenses have ever showed Linux to be more cost-effective.

I do have some embedded experience from previous roles and that's really where I see use of Linux as being cost-effective. That's probably where I would expect most of the higher salaries would come from - Linux kernel developers and embedded systems engineers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Bachelor of Science IT - Security, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, LPIC-1, A+ Net+ Sec+, Linux+ and others I don't feel are worth mentioning
    That's good to know, I plan to continue working with linux for years to come.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

For the other Linux newbs like myself, I've recently discovered www.linuxfromscratch.org and plan to work through the book.

I just started in a new position where Linux know-how would really come in handy. A senior admin on our team recommended the above as a great starting point for anyone interested in REALLY learning how Linux ticks.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCA-DCV | CCA: XenDesktop 5, XenServer 6
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks