+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    Bachelor of Science, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP:EA, CCE, CCNA, Security+, Network+, A+, Project+

Default New computer help.

Ok so I have an Acer Aspire X1200 and its basically to old and slow now. I want to do some upgrading. I am not sure if I should buy a new PC or maybe by a new motherboard, cpu and ram and switch it out and keep the case with the Acer I have. I found this motherboard but am not sure if it will fit in my case. Amazon.com: Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 Mini ITX DDR3 1600 Intel Motherboards GA-H87N-WIFI: Computers & Accessories...any suggestions of what to buy along with this motherboard. I mainly want to use it to set up some vSphere labs and all that, so I would want to have over 8gb of ram, preferrably 16 with at least an i5.

Edit*********************This is what I have in my cart at the moment.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Last edited by pixa241; 01-05-2014 at 03:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+. Server+, Security+, MCITP, CCNA, Various Vender Certs For Desktop/Server/Application Support, BS InfoTech
    Get a new case and build a new PC with a solid quad-core CPU. You can turn the Acer into a Linux box as it will run Linux fairly well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    Bachelor of Science, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP:EA, CCE, CCNA, Security+, Network+, A+, Project+
    Quote Originally Posted by WafflesAndRootbeer View Post
    Get a new case and build a new PC with a solid quad-core CPU. You can turn the Acer into a Linux box as it will run Linux fairly well.
    You have any recommendations on a case and what motherboard with what cpu?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    You are going to need at least 32GB to run things comfortably. vCenter Server 5.5 takes at least 6GB of RAM, 2 vSphere Hosts with 8GB of RAM is a total of 22 GB of RAM and that's not including a domain controller and guest OS.

What's your budget? Any i5 should work fine, but preferably using an i7 or equivilent 8-core AMD.

Have you consdiered a Shuttle barebone? A Shuttle SZ87R6 would be perfect running a Haswell CPU, but you could also go for a cheaper Shuttle SH67H3.

Check this thread also - VMWare Labs
    Last edited by Asif Dasl; 01-05-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif Dasl View Post
    You are going to need at least 32GB to run things comfortably. vCenter Server 5.5 takes at least 6GB of RAM, 2 vSphere Hosts with 8GB of RAM is a total of 22 GB of RAM and that's not including a domain controller and guest OS.

What's your budget? Any i5 should work fine, but preferably using an i7 or equivilent 8-core AMD.

Have you consdiered a Shuttle barebone? A Shuttle SZ87R6 would be perfect running a Haswell CPU, but you could also go for a cheaper Shuttle SH67H3.

Check this thread also - VMWare Labs
    Yes I was planning on that, but I am just starting with Vmware and according to some guides 16gb would be sufficient for right now, and I can later upgrade it to 32gb, so a motherboard that can support 32gb would be ideal. My budget is basically 500 dollars. And I am hoping to buy everything off of Amazon.

I work in IT and know my stuff, but this is the first time I am going to build my own PC so am kind of new as to what is the best combination with what.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    Mmm tough budget... I don't think you'll be able to do it with 16GB. New case, motherboard, CPU, RAM for $500 is a tough ask IMO.

Don't forget VMware have free hands-on-labs, that could help you too...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif Dasl View Post
    Mmm tough budget... I don't think you'll be able to do it with 16GB. New case, motherboard, CPU, RAM for $500 is a tough ask IMO.

Don't forget VMware have free hands-on-labs, that could help you too...
    Here is a link of what I have come up with. Intel Core i5-3470, Thermaltake VL80001W2Z - System Build - PCPartPicker
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    You could run 5.1 on 16GB but not 5.5 AFAIK. I found 2 posts using that Gigabyte board if that's any help:

homeLAB | Morne Smith's Blog

Real world experiences from virtual world : ESXi Home Lab with Intel Haswell CPU
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    You could try this server: 48 GB RAM - only downside is it would be noisy but it would work for 5.5

Dell PowerEdge C1100 CS24 Ty 2 x L5520 2 26GHz 48GB Trays Rails | eBay

EDIT:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261355969100
    Last edited by Asif Dasl; 01-05-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Well here is a reviesed set up Intel Core i5-4570, Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 - My Custom Build - pixa241's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker

I dont really need the server as I will also want to use it as a regular computer. I just want to be able to learn vsphere and how to troubleshoot issues, and that was the best set up i can build with the above link.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    That will get you started.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks