+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CSA+ opinions

1. Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, MCP

Default CSA+ opinions

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone here was a beta exam taker for the upcoming CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst+ exam that is due to be released in February 2017. I am working through my Security+ now and from the CompTIA side of things i am hoping to end up with a CASP certification in the not too distant future.

My question is this: how much harder than the S+ was the CSA+?

My understanding is it is intended to be a stop-gap between S+ and CASP. I am assuming CASP is *much* harder than S+ and they needed something in middle to allow easier transition from S+ to CASP? i could be way off base here but that's just my observation and opinion.

any insight / feedback about the CSA+ is much appreciated
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. The ceiling is glass. PJ_Sneakers's Avatar

Certifications
    AccessData, Cellebrite, CompTIA, EC-Council, IACRB, (ISC)˛, Microsoft, MSAB
    I guess it wasn't harder, per se. It was geared towards what security analysts do, so it was more specific.

Security+ is about cybersecurity concepts that you need to be aware of in IT.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, MCP
    thanks for the info PJ_Sneakers

I think i am fairly certain in my mind that i will be working towards the CASP, and intend to grab S+ and CSA+ along the way.

it can't hurt to know more about security and i am enjoying the studies of IT security.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. The ceiling is glass. PJ_Sneakers's Avatar

Certifications
    AccessData, Cellebrite, CompTIA, EC-Council, IACRB, (ISC)˛, Microsoft, MSAB
    I would say CSA+ is more technical than Sec+ in that if you don't have any experience doing the tasks it tests you on, you're just making guesses. Hopefully educated ones.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ_Sneakers View Post
    I would say CSA+ is more technical than Sec+ in that if you don't have any experience doing the tasks it tests you on, you're just making guesses. Hopefully educated ones.
    Ah, I see.

at the moment they do not have any exam objectives on the CompTIA website, i am hoping that if there is a requirement for familiarity with a specific suite of applications (or a minimum experience level requirement) that this will be mentioned on the exam objectives.

I do plan on spending some time with the likes of bro, snort, and wireshark to get familiar with them. Unfortunately the clients that i do work with are either small businesses whom do not want to purchase the kind of software / equipment that would allow me to get security experience with, or they have centralized helpdesks and i end up being the "hands and feet" for.

This makes it tough to really get the level of input and/or control that these exams expect you to have in your experience arsenal come exam-time.

Still, i imagine the CSA+ is likely a minimum of 12-18 months away for me, so there is time for me to gain some experience
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CSA+, CWTS, Storage+, Sec+, A+, N+, Mobility+, MCP, etc.
    I took the beta for CSA+. and used CEH books to prep. Honestly, while not an exact match, the CEH material seemed to adequately cover a lot of the types of material found in the CSA+, and having Security+ level concepts down is also important. If I didn't pass the beta, I look forward to seeing a couple texts specific to CSA+ come out, and getting some lab time analyzing with some of the products to pursue it as well. Security+ is a great test, but more about general topics and vocabulary words. CSA+ seems to have some of that, but also has some practical application of that knowledge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, MCP
    Well that is good to hear, i have found myself wondering at which point exams move from theory validation to testing your practical skillset.

I haven't sat the S+ exam yet as work decided to fasttrack me onto a 70-410 microsoft course. but once i am done with that i'll be returning to the CompTIA track to get S+, CSA, and CASP. although we are talking a few years before all of that is completed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, GCFA, C|EH v8, C|NDA, RDRP (Registered DoD RMF Practitioner), Sec+, MCSE-NT4, A+
    I can understand Sec+ and CASP.....not sure about compulsion to do CSA. Maybe CSA will gain relevance in a few years....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member Moldygr33nb3an's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CSA+, CASP, CEHv9, CCNET, CCNA R&S
    Took the CSA. Studying for the CEH. I think the CSA is CompTIA's version of the CEH. I enjoyed the exam.
    Working on: CCNA - Security, eJPT

Next: OSCP, CCNP

All your certifications are belong to us.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. I drink and I know things Ertaz's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, CSA+, GPEN, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+, MCP
    Got my results today! Passed! Nice $50 spent.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, CSA+, MCP,MSM ISS, MS DFS, BS IT, AAS CNS
    Passed my CSA+ was so excited when I got the email I ran upstairs immediately and pulled down the results. Awesome beta exam did not even study and got a pass because it is real world.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, ITIL v3 Foundations, Security+, Linux+, Cloud+, Server+, Project+, Network+, A+, CSA+, CCENT
    Got my results and was informed I passed as well was a great $50 test, glad I partook Definitely worth investigating once the certification and materials are released for those looking to enter SOC/CSIRT type roles.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member Moldygr33nb3an's Avatar

Certifications
    Oops. this was back from the dead.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP | CASP | CSA+ | LPIC-1 |Linux+ | Security+ | ITILv3 | SUSE Certified Linux Administrator (SUSE CLA) | SUSE 11 Tech Spec |
    I was pretty excited to get the email today to find out that I passed the CSA+. I've been pretty bummed about failing the CASP and have been studying for a 2nd attempt. For those that are considering I know cost + roi will be some of the questions you will have especially since it is a new exam. IMO it is/will be a good cert to have , personally I still plan on buying a study guide. If you are trying to compare Sec+ | CSA+ | CASP.. don't they really don't compare at all. The CSA+ I think would be a great primmer in the CEH direction while the CASP moves more towards CISSP (I think it has stronger technical direction than the CISSP). Overall I'm glad that I took the time to take the beta and as a bonus it renewed my Sec+ (not sure what will happen when I finally pass the CASP
    2017 Certification Goals: ​CISSP + CEH
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member Moldygr33nb3an's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by DntH8Me View Post
    Overall I'm glad that I took the time to take the beta and as a bonus it renewed my Sec+ (not sure what will happen when I finally pass the CASP
    CASP will renew all your CompTIA certs.

Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, MCP
    I appreciate all the input guys

its nice to hear its more real-world with the CSA+, I got 90% through the course material for the Sec+ and passed my Net+ not too long ago and found that it was all theory. whilst it is great to know the theory, i would not necessarily be able to go and be a network administrator working with SCADA / SIEM / Syslog just because i have my Net+. I wish it had some hands-on testing, but i guess that is the issue with being vendor neutral - you can't test someone on something specific.

CSA+ is on my 2017 / 2018 roadmap with CASP. will be interesting to see what study materials come out for it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks