+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    You people all realize that the pay in government-sector jobs is much worse than the pay for the equivalent private-sector jobs? Private and commercial industries are really hurting for InfoSec people right now. Why do the same work for less money? For the retirement benefits?
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    GCIH, C|EH, Sec+, eJPT, SCCC
    This is just my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

DoD skill level wise is far below the baseline in the industry. Any Joe Smole off the street with a clearance and a certification for the job can get it. Most won't be able to compete in the private sector to be honest.

Most DoD jobs when I interviewed, I interviewed for an instructor job at DLI in Monterey, Cali, you would think their technical interview would be top notch, nope! It was a joke. Needless to say, they selected me. I ended up going private. Most good companies are good at spotting bs in technical interviews. DoD, not so much.

Another example is the biggest dirtbag I have ever met, got a job at fort Campbell GS9, I assume clearance, disability preference, blah, blah. Once you are in, it will take an act of God, literally to get fired.
    Last edited by xxxkaliboyxxx; 12-16-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Norwich - BSing in CSing, Sec+, CySA+, CASP
    JDMurray - I am active duty military and half way to my 20. I am trying to make a MOS change to the IT field for my last 10. That is why I earned the certs I have for the infosec field. When I'm done I plan to shift to the private sector while collecting a nice pension.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CySA+, LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, CompTIA Trifecta
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxkaliboyxxx View Post
    This is just my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt.DoD skill level wise is far below the baseline in the industry. Any Joe Smole off the street with a clearance and a certification for the job can get it. Most won't be able to compete in the private sector to be honest.Most DoD jobs when I interviewed, I interviewed for an instructor job at DLI in Monterey, Cali, you would think their technical interview would be top notch, nope! It was a joke. Needless to say, they selected me. I ended up going private. Most good companies are good at spotting bs in technical interviews. DoD, not so much.Another example is the biggest dirtbag I have ever met, got a job at fort Campbell GS9, I assume clearance, disability preference, blah, blah. Once you are in, it will take an act of God, literally to get fired.
    This matches my DoD experiences with as well. They were more interested in placing a warm body with a clearance and the right certs in a chair to meet their contract obligations rather than being the best. I went private and doubt I'd go back.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CASP, CCNA, CCNP, CCDP, CISSP, CRISC, CISM, CISA, CEH, CHFI, MCSE 2003, MCTIP 2008, Bachelor of Science IT
    Quote Originally Posted by yoba222 View Post
    This matches my DoD experiences with as well. They were more interested in placing a warm body with a clearance and the right certs in a chair to meet their contract obligations rather than being the best. I went private and doubt I'd go back.
    To be perfectly candid. It’s always a numbers game. Quantity over quality. I could probably go on several rants but will opt not to.

OP, what MOS are you switching to? 25D? 17 whatever?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Norwich - BSing in CSing, Sec+, CySA+, CASP
    I am trying to go 17whatever. Keeping my fingers crossed for later this year.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks