+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    BS:CSIA, A+/N+/S+, ECIH, ECES, ITIL:F v3, CCNA:R&S, SSCP, CCSP
    Sat for this on Tuesday (2/6), and to echo everyone else in this thread it was definitely tougher than expected. The objectives PDF definitely gives a good indicator of the things you should be familiar with (scripting, tools, identifying vulns, etc.).

All in all it was a fun test! Excited for the results this summer!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, MCP 70-210, Novell CNA 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by globalenjoi View Post

However, I'll still say the CompTIA simulation questions are garbage. I absolutely hate their "lab" questions because of the test environment/computers. You're stuck with something displaying at 800x600, and everything has a scroll bar. It's just so... uncomfortable.

Totally agree with you...The simulations on the Cloud+ beta were horrible too. Having several popup boxes to shift back & forth on one screen was difficult & time consuming...Why can't they just try to fit it into one screen if the test centers don't have dual screens? ok, off the soapbox. CHEERS!
    2018 goals -> Currently reading C|EH (Matt Walker), PenTest+ Beta (Apr), CCNA CyberOps (July Cohort 7), C|EH (Dec)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSCS, CCNA, Sec+, Net+
    So are there any benefits to taking a beta exam besides the price being so low? I'm assuming they will evaluate the exam results and determine what's a passing/failing grade. If you have a passing grade from the beta I guess you get the cert?? If you fail do they give you a discount on the official exam? Will CompTIA then adjust/change their official exam based on what the outcome of this is? I'm just curious how this works.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyChick View Post
    So are there any benefits to taking a beta exam besides the price being so low? I'm assuming they will evaluate the exam results and determine what's a passing/failing grade. If you have a passing grade from the beta I guess you get the cert?? If you fail do they give you a discount on the official exam? Will CompTIA then adjust/change their official exam based on what the outcome of this is? I'm just curious how this works.
    The benefit to me is I enjoy taking the beta, because I can actually provide input on the exam. They do evaluate the results and make changes as necessary, then determine how to weight everything. Based on that, if you passed, you get the cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    CISSP, eJPT, OSWP, GCIH, eNDP, GICSP, GPEN, GCTI, eCPPT
    I guess you only have access to the beta exams if you have obtained a Comptia cert before?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSCS, CCNA, Sec+, Net+
    Quote Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
    The benefit to me is I enjoy taking the beta, because I can actually provide input on the exam. They do evaluate the results and make changes as necessary, then determine how to weight everything. Based on that, if you passed, you get the cert.
    Yes, good point. Not all benefits should be just for one's self. Although....if you could pass it for $50 that would be sweet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A/S/S/S/N/C/CSA+, CASP, CCNA R/S & Sec & Cyber OPS, LO CFR, SSCP,EMC NetWorker Spec,SNIA SCSE,Prince 2,EITCA-IS,F5 BIG-IP CA/CTS-ASM, Intel Sec NSP
    Quote Originally Posted by _nessie_ View Post
    I guess you only have access to the beta exams if you have obtained a Comptia cert before?
    no
    this could be your first Comptia exam
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. K-9

Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, CySA+, Sec+, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, CCNA SP Ops, VCP-DCV, VCP-NV, MCP, OCE SQL, OCA MySQL, and more
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyChick View Post
    I have taken a few beta exams from CompTIA. I just see it as a fun, cheap way to gauge my skills. No study guides available, so I just go for it and roll the dice. If you pass, you are certified. If not, you decide if you want to go after that cert later.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A/S/S/S/N/C/CSA+, CASP, CCNA R/S & Sec & Cyber OPS, LO CFR, SSCP,EMC NetWorker Spec,SNIA SCSE,Prince 2,EITCA-IS,F5 BIG-IP CA/CTS-ASM, Intel Sec NSP
    Just back from exam.
    Its hard but doable.
    I wont pass as I did not study at all. One month of study should be enough.
    Lot of sims, code examples and log extracts. Very little theory.
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    There is nothing in the current PentTest+ objectives that refers to log files or interpreting logged events. The output of pentest tools would be the closest match. It may be that this beta exam is not a good representation of the PenTest+ objectives as currently published, but instead is more of focus group testing of specific types of exam items to determine which are best to include on the initial released of the PenTest+ exam.

For those looking for PenTest+ study material: http://www.pentest-standard.org/index.php/Main_Page
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member Registered Member
    Just signed up, but pushed it out to April. If you guys could keep us updated as you take the exam on what study materials you believe what be most beneficial that would be great. I'm currently using CEH books. Thanks and good luck to all.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    C****, C***, C**
    Quote Originally Posted by meni0n View Post
    From listing of tools, the objectives seem comprehensive and up to date. Have signed up for this in March. FWIW, I was asked to do JTA (Job Task Analysis) for CPT+ last September.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks