+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    ITILv3, MCSA:Server 2012, MCSA:Win7, MCITP, MCTS, MTA:SA, MCP, CTS, VCA-WM, LPIC-1, SCLA, SUSE-TS, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Server+

Default Programming for Sys Admins

PowerShell has opened up many more opportunities to automate various tasks. I've been using it extensively for a couple years and have started to really enjoy it.

I'm looking next to learn C# and pass the 70-483 exam, but I only want to use in a support capacity for administration. I'm not interested in becoming a full time "programmer".

For other sys admins, have you considered learning a programming language to help with administration tasks, and if so what?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    Too many MCPs and MCTS, MCSA: Security, MCSE: Security, MCSA: 2003, 2008, 2012, MCITP: EA, CISSP-ISSAP, SCS DLP, GREM
    I'm comfortable with cmd shell and powershell, not sure what C# can give PoSh can't. Automate all and every repetitive task.

I was a programmer in the past though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITILv3, MCSA:Server 2012, MCSA:Win7, MCITP, MCTS, MTA:SA, MCP, CTS, VCA-WM, LPIC-1, SCLA, SUSE-TS, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Server+
    I was thinking about using C# to build GUI apps for running PowerShell functions. I guess its not really a need as an admin, but would be a nice skillset to add.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNP-R&S, CE-A
    I been using Python and Perl as a network engineer for about a year now. They are really helpful. Especially when combined with CRON. I recently started learning C/C++. They are neat but unless you need a program to be very high performance, Python will get the job done.

After learning a high level language that does something in 8 lines of code (Python), it is a real buzz kill to have to write the same instructions in 50 lines (C).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Interesting post....

I find myself limited with SSIS not having the strong scripting background in VB. Since I know VBA fairly well I am going to focus more on that language so i can ramp up faster, I agree having some C# to script is a big asset.

However I am in the midst of going through the MCSA so it will have to wait until that nightmare is over.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNP-R&S, CE-A
    'VB is the only language I don't like. I have to use it once in a while. But since it can not run server side and cant be a run as a client side exectuable. . . . Just really limits it IMO. It kills me to open up a program as big as Excel to run a 1k size script.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks