+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, HIT, MTAx6, MS: O365, MSCA: O365, MCSA: Win 7, MCITP: Win 7 EA, MCITP: Win 7 EDS, MCTS: 70-681, MS: Server Virtualization HyperV, BAAP
    This exam is really that easy. All the MTAs have been.

Depending on your experience with IT, you could potentially study for a couple hours and easily pass.. I over did it when I studied because it was by first one, but the next two I took (networking and security) I just studied the Certiport study guides and the exam outline on MS website... the day of the test and passed.

If you just want an MCP, the 349 is by far the easiest way to get it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member

Certifications
    MTA OS, Net, Sec. MCP.
    Quote Originally Posted by SweenMachine View Post
    This exam is really that easy. All the MTAs have been.

Depending on your experience with IT, you could potentially study for a couple hours and easily pass.. I over did it when I studied because it was by first one, but the next two I took (networking and security) I just studied the Certiport study guides and the exam outline on MS website... the day of the test and passed.

If you just want an MCP, the 349 is by far the easiest way to get it.
    I'm an apprentice, and will be doing 349, 365, 366 and 367, my instructor did say 349 was easy [his exact words were "piece of p*ss" or something similar.], they've also alloted aprx 2 days of center traing to it, as opposed to 1 week or even 2 like some of them.

We were given the Sybex books for each of the exams and from what I've read on here and else where, they are up there in terms of being the best resources, what I've read thus far seems to reinforce that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals
    Hey Guys,

I know this has been beaten to death, but I've been working as a Technology Support Agent for 5 years now, and was thinking about getting certified. From what I can read the MTA IT Infrastructure cert. is a cake walk for someone with experience? Just wondering if anyone could educate me on what they are looking for when taking the A+ practical exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MTA, DAWIA, MCSA-Server 2003
    My organization just received entrance to Microsoft's IT Academy and I am expected to prep students for both the MTA and MCSA exams. So as a measurement of what was on the exam I took the 98-349 exam this past Thursday with minimal studying which equated to looking over the Wiley publishing study guide for 30 minutes the morning of the exam. I came away with an 85 out of 100 (the passing score being a 70) and the material was fairly basic. To anyone who has worked with Windows 7 Pro for a year I would guess you would have a good chance to pass. With that being said some of the wording in the questions is NOT self explanatory and can catch people off-guard if they are not paying attention.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, HIT, MTAx6, MS: O365, MSCA: O365, MCSA: Win 7, MCITP: Win 7 EA, MCITP: Win 7 EDS, MCTS: 70-681, MS: Server Virtualization HyperV, BAAP
    Quote Originally Posted by ITInstructor2014 View Post
    My organization just received entrance to Microsoft's IT Academy and I am expected to prep students for both the MTA and MCSA exams. So as a measurement of what was on the exam I took the 98-349 exam this past Thursday with minimal studying which equated to looking over the Wiley publishing study guide for 30 minutes the morning of the exam. I came away with an 85 out of 100 (the passing score being a 70) and the material was fairly basic. To anyone who has worked with Windows 7 Pro for a year I would guess you would have a good chance to pass. With that being said some of the wording in the questions is NOT self explanatory and can catch people off-guard if they are not paying attention.
    I agree. The wording is a little weird, but yeah these tests are pretty straight forward.

-scott
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ECDL Extra, MOS Outlook, MTA 98-349
    In follow up to whats been said, i got the wiley book and spent maybe 5 hours reading through and doing practice tests and passed last week with a score of 80. Personally i found some of the questions strange and different to what i expected, I am by no means an expert either. A bit of prep and study i think is enough to get most people who have used win7 through i think.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, I-Net+, Security+, Server+, MTA OS/Server, ICND1, SSCP
    Pass today with an 85. Some of the questions came out of left field in my opinion. But if you are in the field like i am and use Windows 7 on a daily basis you should be fine. They are features in the windows that you may want to look into if don't use, such as the image backup feature, encryption, and compression. Also know your Windows 7 OS types. Moving on to 98-365 Next.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, MCTS- Windows 7, CIW Web Foundations Associate
    For those of you studying for this exam, DO NOT use the certiport "study guide", trust me, it's totally useless. Measureup is the closest thing to the real test.

Second, I didn't find this test "easy" nor did I find it "hard". I was somewhere in the middleground with this one, garnering an 86% (cut was 70). The questions were pretty vague. If you know how to use Windows 7 then you're good

As for OP, your post was written last year, I'm sure by now you have already passed this exam, however
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by r3dstar View Post
    For those of you studying for this exam, DO NOT use the certiport "study guide", trust me, it's totally useless. Measureup is the closest thing to the real test.

Second, I didn't find this test "easy" nor did I find it "hard". I was somewhere in the middleground with this one, garnering an 86% (cut was 70). The questions were pretty vague. If you know how to use Windows 7 then you're good

As for OP, your post was written last year, I'm sure by now you have already passed this exam, however
    I disagree, but I supposed it depends on your level of IT going into these things...

The certiport study guides are not worthless at all, they are in fact one of the only study guides I used to pass all 6 of them that I passed.

Sure, the questions are silly and stupid, but the worthwhile stuff is in the explanations, and those are almost ALL on the specific tests.

-scott
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, MTA O/S
    I just took and passed this test. I took the advice of people on here and almost didn't pass. I have been a desktop and hardware tech for 5 years and the questions were not that simple. You need to know the areas and for me it dealt a lot with the OS maintenance and tools. Almost nothing on versions and configurations.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member Registered Member
    can come one tell me how many question in OS certification?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member Registered Member
    I passed yesterday without studying.. I have a little over a year and a half of experience with windows 7. On wards to the MSCA now!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member Registered Member
    Found a free online exam site and the questions seem harder than the Certiport Study Guide (though i do agree the explanations are what is helpful there) because they allow for multiple answers... i.e "choose all the apply" so you can't just use process of elimination. They also seem harder than some random practice tests that i've found streaming on youtube, uploaded within the last month.

Is this what the test is actually like?, with many of the questions having multiple answers and you have to choose all that apply?
    thanks.
    Last edited by jedge; 05-23-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by jedge View Post
    Found a "free" practice test online, free-online-exams dot com.
    But it doesn't give you the answers unless you register and pay... pretty ingenious gimmick.
    Anyway, the questions seem harder than the Certiport Study Guide (though i do agree the explanations are what is helpful there) because they allow for multiple answers... i.e "choose all the apply" so you can't just use process of elimination. They also seem harder than some random practice tests that i've found streaming on youtube, uploaded within the last month.

Is this what the test is actually like?, with many of the questions having multiple answers and you have to choose all that apply?
    thanks.
    I just went to that 'practice exam' site; that is totally a dump website, and those are taboo around here.

-scott
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member Registered Member
    thanks for the warning, that's why i didn't link it, though it didn't seem any worse than any other free sites
    *edited original post
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member Registered Member
    I just took and passed 98-349 last Friday. I didn't study at all, but I've been an IT Admin for 14 years and have pretty deep knowledge of Windows XP up through Win 8 in the real world (with some gaps, I'll admit); XP and Win 7 are what I have the most experience with. The test was entirely focused on Windows 7 technologies, when it wasn't just general OS-type questions. Nothing specific to Windows 8 at all, but I imagine that will change soon.

Overall it was easy but there were definitely questions that I had to guess at, either because they were nit-picky specific info that would hardly ever be encountered in real-world I.T., or they were areas that I simply never have had to use in Windows 7 -- particularly encryption (Bitlocker). I am sure that I passed because I guessed well on a number of questions, not because I had it down cold. It was a bit of a wakeup call for what awaits on the other three fundamentals exams (365, 366, 367) that are the core desktop/server MCSA requirements.
    Last edited by devolution; 06-09-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Very Little Experience with Windows 7. Advice Please

I am reading that this exam focuses heavily on Windows 7. Unfortunately, I have very, very little experience with Windows 7 (lots with Windows XP) and don't have a computer that has Windows 7. I do however have one that has Windows 8 that I have been using for about 3 to 6 months.

Can I use my Windows 8 computer and a good book to get by? I think it would be great for me to buy a Windows 7 computer, but I can't afford a new nor used computer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    What i would do in your position is download virtual box and the trial version of Windows 7 Enterprise. It wont cost you anything and you can practice with Windows 7. Another thing you could do, if you have Windows 8 Pro, you could use the built in Hyper-V (with the Win 7 trial) vs using Virtual box. Standard Windows 8 does not have Hyper-V

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    Try Windows 7 Enterprise | TechNet Evaluation Center
    2017 Goals: CCNA R&S
    Certifications:
    A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Lab: 3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620Router with NM-32A module
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+,Net+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CET-a, Microsoft 70-680, MTA Win 7
    I will take the MTA 98-349 tomorrow. It is my first Microsoft exam so I am not that familiar with their question style. I have taken the A+ and Security+ with no issues. I also have a couple of CIW certs.

Training material: I am using the Microsoft Official Academic Course Text provided by WGU. I also watched the videos from LearnKey that are included in the training material with WGU. I have taken the practice exams through MeasureUp and I am consistently scoring above 95% on the tests. I also found a handful of videos on YouTube that were informative. If you search for MTA you will find them. I've studied pretty extensively for the past 2.5 weeks.

My experience: I do a little bit of support on Windows 7 clients and our management clients all have 7 on them. For the most part though, my real world experience is pretty much on an average user level.

I will follow up tomorrow and let you guys know what I thought I got the most value out of and if I can make any suggestion on how to approach this exam better.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+,Net+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CET-a, Microsoft 70-680, MTA Win 7
    I wanted to follow up on my MTA exam. It was not as easy as others have suggested but not terribly difficult either. I passed with an 89. While some of the practice tests that I used in my study material vaguely covered the exam questions, none of them were verbatim. I did not prepare for this exam like many of the other exams I've taken. Which is probably why I didn't feel too good about clicking "Submit".

Many of the test questions were worded a little different than I expected. Make sure you take the time to read the test question completely.

Microsoft give users so many different options to accomplish a tasks and we get comfortable with "our" way of doing something. Just make sure you are comfortable with doing basic tasks multiple ways. I had to "best guess" on a couple of things because I usually use Windows button and search for that task. The test might ask where specifically to find that utility and under a category or perhaps the command in the command line.

This is not a test to stress out about. If you have put in the study time and are comfortable with using or supporting Windows 7 then you should pass just fine.

Good Luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member
    To all, i will be taking 94-349 exam tomorrow, i just wondering to know what is question format like? all them multiple- choice?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Member

Certifications
    BS:IT WGU, Network+, A+, Security+, Project+, CIW Web Foundations, CIW Database Design, CIW Web Design, CIW Javascript, Linux+, Microsoft MTA
    I took this test yesterday and passed. I read Microsoft OS Essentials by Tom Carpenter before taking it. Most of the questions were common tasks I knew of. If you are very comfortable with advanced routines in Windows 7 you will pass this test. I am reading his book for the Server Admin Fundamemtals exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member Registered Member
    Thinking of taking this exam, looking at the comments is anyone agreed on a good source of training/demos either online or book? Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    MTA
    This exam is focused on the basics of Windows 7 Operating System. It validates the basic and core skills and [roves to be a good entry point in IT. So, study the Official resources and understand the "Microsoft" definitions for terms. Then only, the exam will be easy
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member Registered Member

Default thanks

I am studying for the MTA 98-349. I was wondering if there were any free practice test?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks