+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    MS: MTA OS, A+

Default For those that have taken/passed the MTA 98-349(OS), is it really that easy?!

Is it really that easy?

I'm using the "study guide" from Certiport and its a joke, the answers are blatant and obvious. I've been a desktop tech for the past 6 years in a Windows environment and even though we don't use half of the, "...solutions" MS has built into their operating systems, I still see where the question is going each time.

This leads me to believe the study guide is incredibly accurate or completely off?
    The only reason I'm taking this is my employer will reimburse any certs I pass, and I've never been to this test center so I figure why not tackle an easy one first and see what the environment is like.

Any firsthand accounts would be much appreciated!

p.s. If you know of a better/more accurate study guide or even sample questions you could share with me I would be very thankful.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CCENT
    The exam really is that easy. If you've been a desktop tech for 6 years just go ahead and schedule it and take it. You may want to brush up on which Windows versions are upgradable to other Windows version (like XP Pro can be directly upgraded to ?) but besides that you will be fine. It was pretty much a waste of time when I took it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Why is the rum gone!? paulgswanson's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+; Security+, Project+, MTA:N, MTA:OS, MTA:Sec, CIW Web Foundations
    That ones really easy, I took it w/o study got a 90
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    That's great and thanks for the replies.

I'd really like to validate the accuracy of this guide that I linked to, and see if the questions are presented and worded in that same fashion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CCENT
    I actually went through that same guide before I took mine. The questions are somewhat similar. The difficulty is about the same actually. That's how easy this exam is...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

Certifications
    Thanks again.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    MTA:OS, MTA:N, MTA:SA, MTA:S, MCTS:70-640, Solarwinds Cert. Prof. VCA-DCV, VCA-WM - Expired CompTia Net+
    Yeah I used the 3 guides from certiport for OS, N, Server admin, and yes they are all that easy...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, HDI:SCA, MTA:OS, MCTS:7
    I went through it recently and passed with 1 question missed. I reviewed a few questions before I got bored and decided to just book it. If you have experience this thing will easily be a cake walk. Even those without experience that have common computer knowledge should find MOST of the questions obvious. Especially when you are taking a Microsoft exam and only one of the answers is obviously Microsoft related...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member

Certifications
    I passed the test today but it wasn't a cakewalk. You must have strong hands-on experience with XP-7 and all of their features components, security and upgrades/requirements. The Certiport guide is NOTHING like the test I took. There were no situations with reading comprehension needed, very short and too the point. Thankfully I have extensive job experience and relied totally on that. If you're looking to study, use the official objectives list. I do get reimbursed for my tests, so I feel it was worth my time. Not a complete pushover but lots of memorization needed.
    Last edited by Mend; 01-26-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member Registered Member
    I am studying for the MTA 98-349. I was wondering if there were any free practice test? Also I would like to know how many questions was on the test? Could you give me an example of the questions on the test. This certiport guide is a trick. I know it can't be this simple.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+
    I've been looking at the MTA's myself...they seem pretty basic. I think I might shell out the money with my tax returns and give them a shot
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, Project+, CASP, Mobility+ Beta, CCENT, CCNA, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, MCTS:680
    2hrs to get the test started, 10 minutes to finish the test. This test is about as basic as M$ can make an OS exam. 1 question I think they took from the A+ exam. If you have any exp with Windows 7 then this test will be easy. I put this as easier then the CIW foundations exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Certiport IC3 GS4
    Im looking into taking this as well. And publications worth reading for this?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCENT, Project+, Security+, Network+, A+
    @HotSauce6226 - The book below pretty much covers the requirements but if you have Windows 7 experience, you can pass the exam without studying anything:

Microsoft Windows Operating System Essentials: Tom Carpenter: 9781118195529: Amazon.com: Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Certiport IC3 GS4
    Sounds promising. Maybe ill take a look into it before I take the test. Thank you sir.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCENT, Project+, Security+, Network+, A+
    For those persons already at WGU or who have a Skillport Books 24x7 subscription, the link to the Microsoft Windows Operating System Essentials book is: http://skillport.books24x7.com/toc.aspx?bookid=45084

Microsoft Windows Server Administration Essentials

Microsoft Windows Networking: Essentials

Microsoft Windows Security: Essentials
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member

Certifications
    ITIL v3 Foundation, MCSA Windows 7, MCSA Windows Server 2008, MCITP EDT7, MCITP EDA7, MCITP SA 2008
    If it's this easy then what is the value it holds?
    I understand if you're entry-level this can be an "easy first step" but are there guys that have a lot of MS certs that also go for this exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Achieve excellence daily

Certifications
    CISSP
    Took this today and passed with a 90%. Had some oddball stuff that wasn't in the official book but thankfully I knew based on experience. I would say read the book and do the gmetrix practice exams. I liked gmetrix better than uCertify for this exam.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member
    Taking this exam tomorrow, just graduated from school took system administration for 2 years.. is this test going to be cakewalk?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, VSP5
    I think it'll be a cakewalk for those who've gotten over the "hump". Dealing with the average user, I can say most of them would consider it hopelessly technical, but anyone who has actually worked in the field, or is even a casual enthusiast, should be able to pass with little problem. It's one way to get a foot in the door with MS, if one doesn't already have a higher level cert. In fact, I'm planning to do the 367 mostly to fill in a low-level security cert for the time being, as I don't have a higher level one planned for a while.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacer View Post
    I think it'll be a cakewalk for those who've gotten over the "hump". Dealing with the average user, I can say most of them would consider it hopelessly technical, but anyone who has actually worked in the field, or is even a casual enthusiast, should be able to pass with little problem. It's one way to get a foot in the door with MS, if one doesn't already have a higher level cert. In fact, I'm planning to do the 367 mostly to fill in a low-level security cert for the time being, as I don't have a higher level one planned for a while.
    thanks for the reply, Yes ive worked networking for a year now and I have no Microsoft certs
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member
    So I took the exam and none of the questions where technical honestly its as if I couldn't think that un technical.. I failed by like 2 and I have A+ Network+ and this exam just baffled me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member Registered Member
    Any recommendations on some free tests for this exam or decent online materials (Paid for & free) I've been involved with IT support for a while now, would I be best just going ahead with the exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS: Information Security, CISSP, GCIH, CEH, CHFI, CCNA: S, CCNA: R&S, VCP6-DTM, Linux+, Project+, VCA6-DCV
    My boss gave me the Microsoft study guide for this test. Is this how the tests are actually written? I'm just trying to get a quick cert under my belt for HR purposes while I go to WGU and get my Bachelor's and better certs. The way the study guide is, it seems more like a test that pimps out windows features rather than actually quiz you on processes. When in doubt, just select the answer that has a Windows feature in it. Maybe the actual test is harder, but it seems like it would be pretty easy to pass.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member

Certifications
    MTA OS, Net, Sec. MCP.
    Is it really this easy?

I ask because I'm scheduled to go into center for "training" for the exam in June, however had the opportunity to take an exam in hopes of becoming an MCP in virtualization for a much cheaper price than originally offered - unfortunately as long as I sat the exam before the end of May.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks