+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Default Difference between dynamic updates and Secure

Alright I am trying to figure this out with a bit more detail.

I know that you must have an AD intregrated Zone to have Secure Dynamic updates. That's fine

my questions is what is the difference - if you had to explain it to someone - between Secure Dynamic updates and Dynamic updates?

Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    See Signature
    In a nutshell, in secure dynamic updates, the DNS server will only update if the sender of the information is authenticated. In dynamic updates, authentication is not performed.

[EDIT]: In other words, if the client is attempting to update information for which it is not the owner of, secure dynamic updates will prevent this.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member
    Ok that makes since. Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCDX:NV - A+ Net+ Sec+ MCSA08 CISSP CCNA B.S. IT/WGU
    and by authenticated he means that, the machine doing the updating is joined to the domain and is updating its own record. One of the main reasons that people use secure and non-secure updates is if they have both a active-directory portion of their network and a workgroup portion where machines are not joined to the domain. Some people believe this increases security, personally I think it just makes managing the workgroup side a complete cluster.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks