+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mr2nut
    So when you say directly connected SCSI, do you mean there is a seperate SCSI controller from the OS SCSI controller in each Server, and you connect these together with a SCSI cable? If i've grasped this right, do you install everything you need on the first node, then it will replicate to the second node itself? Like you say, i've never even touched clustering before but i've looked into it lately, mainly due to a client requesting it and i'm dedicated to learn it now, hate things beating me!
    I partially answered this in my last post so I'll answer the rest in this post.

When working with Shared Storage, you typically want to only have your soon to be Active Node be the only one running. You connect it to the shared storage, put a file on it, shut it down. Boot up the second node, add shared storage, see the file, and that verifies the shared storage is working.

Now you can install Clustering on your first node and that services takes control of the disks. Now you can bring up your second node and it won't mess up or corrupt the disks because it won't have access to the disks due to the cluster service on the other node owning the disk. You can now join the second node to the cluster and now you're all set.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298. MCSE 2003! 70-620
    The bit that confused me was when somebody said you can do SCSI to SCSI using a lead from one node to the other, this lead me to believe that the data was sat INSIDE one of the actual Servers, but then that would defeat the object of it still being available if that Server went down, right. So you always have to have the data on an external storage device that is self-powered and not a part of the Server correct?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Of course. Why would you have external storage if the data still sits on the server's internal disks. That would make no sense!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by royal
    Of course. Why would you have external storage if the data still sits on the server's internal disks. That would make no sense!
    lol, like I say, it's all very new to me. I've only just begun looking into this technology. Was a bit of a daft question but, hey, we all gotta learn
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by royal
    lol, like I say, it's all very new to me. I've only just begun looking into this technology. Was a bit of a daft question but, hey, we all gotta learn
    We all start somewhere. Hope the info in this thread helped you get started. Feel free to ask any other questions, even if you think they are stupid or not.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    Cheers man, really appreciate it. What would we do without friendly forums like this eh
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Back to my original point of posting, what hardware do you reckomend for a simple 2 node cluster purely for Exchange high availability then? We normally use HP Server (mainly ML350) for small businesses so this is a different step for me now.

If you have a standard setup for quite a small business for this situation, if you could post exactly which Servers and what make/model of shared storage to go for that would be really helpful.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Back to my original point of posting, what hardware do you reckomend for a simple 2 node cluster purely for Exchange high availability then? We normally use HP Server (mainly ML350) for small businesses so this is a different step for me now.

If you have a standard setup for quite a small business for this situation, if you could post exactly which Servers and what make/model of shared storage to go for that would be really helpful.
    If you use CCR you can use internal storage or external DAS on each node. If you use SCC you need to use shared storage which can be external DAS (need to check with manufacturer if it supports shared storage/clustering or it can be SAN.

Whichever you choose to use is based on features, performance, and price.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...ccr-or-sc.aspx

From reading the above link, CCR is the way to go for a small 2-node setup and it's cheaper, easier to setup. Where in the setup of clustering do you tell it to use CCR over the other ones?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    I'm not even sure the company will want to go for this now as they're looking at a fair whack of cash for 2 copies of enterprise windows and exchange, 2 servers and the iSCSI box plus setup costs, it ain't going to be cheap is it!

We were going to use the ML350 HP Servers and according to google, they would work fine for a CCR Exchange Cluster. And I found this iSCSI box, I assume this would be fine?

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/harddrives/oid594052202.html
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Need to make sure it supports shared storage.

Check out:
    http://www.shudnow.net/2008/04/28/ex...-iscsi-part-4/

You can see the cluster installations steps for Exchange 2007.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CSNT,MCP 270
    a lot to learn from this post.

I have nothing to say but i need to mark this by replying, I wonder how would i bookmark a thread. Theres a link at the top that says "bookmark" but I can't find that feature.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    There certainly is, it's helped me a great deal. Cheers for all the detailed replies guys
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217
    a lot to learn from this post.

I have nothing to say but i need to mark this by replying, I wonder how would i bookmark a thread. Theres a link at the top that says "bookmark" but I can't find that feature.
    Under "New Topic" and "Reply" there's a link to "Bookmark Topic". You can access your bookmarks by following the "Bookmarks" link up at the top, next to "Search" and "Memberlist". You can always just bookmark it in your browser, delicious, etc. It's hard to keep track of a lot of bookmarks with this site's bookmarking feature.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    Another question (suprise suprise!)

Do you only need 1 SCSI card in each node, so you have your OS drive on one port, then the RAID disks on the others? Or do you need 2 seperate SCSI cards in each Server, 1 for OS then the other for the cluster RAID?

Also, does this have to be downloaded onto BOTH cluster nodes and installed before starting the whole process if I decide to use iSCSI?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    http://computers.pricegrabber.co.uk/...es/m/76769069/

Would this iSCSI box cut it also?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member
    Another question (suprise suprise!)

Do you only need 1 SCSI card in each node, so you have your OS drive on one port, then the RAID disks on the others? Or do you need 2 seperate SCSI cards in each Server, 1 for OS then the other for the cluster RAID?
    It depends on the card. Most I've seen have internal and external connections, so you could probably get by with one card.

Also, does this have to be downloaded onto BOTH cluster nodes and installed before starting the whole process if I decide to use iSCSI?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    You'll need it to connect to your iSCSI target. I guess you could do whatever you can before you get to that point without it. Why does it matter?

A VM running OpenFiler would probably "cut it" for you. It's up to you to figure out the right balance of performance, cost, etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    Cool, gotcha. I have now set up a test lab. I understand that the Exchange databases need to be held on the external shared storage, but how do you install Exchange? Do you run Exchange setup from any node in the Cluster, and install the whole lot to the shared storage, or does some of the install go on one of the nodes and just the databases go on the shared storage?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member
    You should go back and read that first link I posted. This is one of the subsections: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123865(EXCHG.65).aspx
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks