+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    I just finished the nuggets. Still have about 200 pages left of the pressbook, but it should be pretty easy since I have some background info already. I'll also need to watch several of the videos again, and of course transcender it up a bit.

I've already been labbing a little with CA's. Next up is to create an IPSec connection and probably review RRAS. I also might pull out some of the 291 videos on RRAS and IPSec since they were more detailed over on that side.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl8ckr0uter View Post
    Do say yet lol.

Now the question is 2003 then 2008 or 2008? My company is using 2003 DCs and will be upgrading to all 2003 and 2008 servers within the next year. I want to be apart of that. I also still need to work on building the win7 image we will use. MCSA (with windows 7 client exam) would match our network perfectly.

I would do the MCSA, then upgrade to the MCITP. You already have the CompTIA electives to use. I think the MCSA and your CCNA would go well together and as you get more experience, it can only benefit you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by Psoasman View Post
    I would do the MCSA, then upgrade to the MCITP. You already have the CompTIA electives to use. I think the MCSA and your CCNA would go well together and as you get more experience, it can only benefit you.
    More bang for your buck, so to speak. Your elective is already done. You can take the 680 and apply to the MCITP. Then you just have the 290 and 291, and the 290 is pretty easy.

But you miss out on a lot of stuff. The 293 and 294 cover lots of fairly critical information.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    The 293 and 294 cover lots of fairly critical information.
    Agreed. Knowing AD is a must for any windows admin.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    More bang for your buck, so to speak. Your elective is already done. You can take the 680 and apply to the MCITP. Then you just have the 290 and 291, and the 290 is pretty easy.

But you miss out on a lot of stuff. The 293 and 294 cover lots of fairly critical information.

I grabbed a Mastering Windows 2003 R2 book today. I will pick up a the 2008, Windows 7, Group Policy and SCCM books later. If I really, really like it than I might do 1 test. I was thinking about the AD test for 2008 but that will be a very big if. What I am worried about is getting hooked and next thing I know I am full on for MCITP:EA. I have looked at the objectives and honestly, they did peak my interest but I know that will eat up a bunch of my time. You never know. Since I am labbing my LPIC-1 from the perspective of a mixed environment, I will have some MS studies in there as well (which is why I picked up the mastering book).

What do you guys read to bone up on Windows Security and such?
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 10-12-2010 at 05:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT

What do you guys read to bone up on Windows Security and such?
    The 291,293, 298, and 299 M$ books cover security fairly well. I also use technet, read security bulletins, etc. I have some hands-on labs for the security portions of these courses if you want.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psoasman View Post
    The 291,293, 298, and 299 M$ books cover security fairly well. I also use technet, read security bulletins, etc. I have some hands-on labs for the security portions of these courses if you want.
    I want.

I see a few books on amazon I might pick up. Are the security resource kits worth anything?

Also on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of depth, how deep do the Mastering Windows and Inside Out books go vs the cert guides and admin guides? For someone who is trying to get working knowledge, would one be better over the other?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    I want.

I see a few books on amazon I might pick up. Are the security resource kits worth anything?

Also on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of depth, how deep do the Mastering Windows and Inside Out books go vs the cert guides and admin guides? For someone who is trying to get working knowledge, would one be better over the other?
    The Mastering and Inside Out books have a lot of content but are definitely worth it. I have the Mastering book and I always use it as a reference.

You should also get this, it is a must have:

DNS on Windows Server 2003, Third Edition - O'Reilly Media
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    What I am worried about is getting hooked and next thing I know I am full on for MCITP:EA. I have looked at the objectives and honestly, they did peak my interest but I know that will eat up a bunch of my time.
    Is that really a bad thing? I know this is coming from a biased person, but what is wrong with having some fairly advanced Microsoft stuff? It might push back some of your other goals, but only by about 6 months or so. Plus you will pick up things that will help you in anything you do.

Come to the dark side

I'm thinking about setting my goal for the 23rd. I'm not sure if that is too soon, not to mention I have several distractions coming up (including my bday and a bunch of family coming to visit). But that is almost 2 weeks to finish my book, review some nuggets, lab it up, and do practice questions.
    Last edited by Devilsbane; 10-12-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    Is that really a bad thing? I know this is coming from a biased person, but what is wrong with having some fairly advanced Microsoft stuff? It might push back some of your other goals, but only by about 6 months or so. Plus you will pick up things that will help you in anything you do.
    Do you think that the MCITP:EA obtainable in 5-6 months?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Do you think that the MCITP:EA obtainable in 5-6 months?
    I can only speculate, since I haven't taken a single one of the tests.

But I think so. It is 5 tests. Taking a 4-5 week approach (what I've used for most of the tests in the MCSE) would get you it in that 5-6 month range.

EDIT:

And don't forget about the Microsoft deal going on. 5 tests, $500, and second chance on each of them.
    Last edited by Devilsbane; 10-12-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    I can only speculate, since I haven't taken a single one of the tests.

But I think so. It is 5 tests. Taking a 4-5 week approach (what I've used for most of the tests in the MCSE) would get you it in that 5-6 month range.

EDIT:

And don't forget about the Microsoft deal going on. 5 tests, $500, and second chance on each of them.
    Ok ok, you wore me down. I am probably going to start studying for MCTS Win 7 first (since I have to do a gpo refresh within the next two weeks). I guess I am joining the dark side, or we could call it the "black side" lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Ok ok, you wore me down. I am probably going to start studying for MCTS Win 7 first (since I have to do a gpo refresh within the next two weeks). I guess I am joining the dark side, or we could call it the "black side" lol
    LOL

So much for the Linux+ trek!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member
    LOL

So much for the Linux+ trek!
    Oh its still happening.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Oh its still happening.....
    Just going to be drawn out over several months.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    Just going to be drawn out over several months.
    I can't. I have to get it done by the end of the year so . I might try to MCTS win7 in January.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I'm in that boat too. Next week is all booked up, so I think my test will be taking place on Monday the 25th. An extra couple days, including a weekend should help me polish things up anyway.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    I guess I am joining the dark side, or we could call it the "black side" lol
    For political reasons, I think that might get vetoed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    The morning of the 25th, its official.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA 2k3 (270/290/291/293), Sec+, Net+, Server+, A+, Cert. in EE
    Black,

I posted quite a few MS security links in the 293/291 forums, you can also do a search on Technet too. They cover all aspects of MS security and here are a few from the general IT security community. Here a just a few that I have used to study the technnology.

Home | GSO - Network Security Resources

Computer Security - Internet Security - Network Security - Internet Security and Information Security Portal - Virus Hacking Alerts Bulletins - InfoSysSec

Network Security and ISO 27001 / 17799 News

SANS: Computer Security Training, Network Security Research, InfoSec Resources

Welcome to CERT

http://www.securityfocus.com/

MS has a Windows Server 2003 security guide, I believe it installs onto the desktop of a fresh 2k3 install. If you can't find it, let me know, I can email it to you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    How is everyone doing with this?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    How is everyone doing with this?
    You still booked for the 25th?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertKaucher View Post
    You still booked for the 25th?
    Yes. I still have lots of work to do, and many distractions at home
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yes. I still have lots of work to do, and many distractions at home
    Tomorrow has crept up all too soon. I'm doing a lot of reading today, and I'll hit the transcenders tonight. Get a good nights rest and a little bit more study tomorrow morning.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Tomorrow has crept up all too soon. I'm doing a lot of reading today, and I'll hit the transcenders tonight. Get a good nights rest and a little bit more study tomorrow morning.
    Good luck. If you pass, give me all of your answers. Mmkay thx.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks