+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last
  1. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status

Cool My new home for about a month

Just passed sec+ this morning and I'm really looking forward to finishing mcse. I'm excited about this test because, well, I love networking. That is all. Carry on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. God Emperor of Canada

Certifications
    A+ MCSA CCNA
    me too. oh and hi there!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    Good luck on those 70-293 studies. I'll be joining you as soon as I've knocked out the CCDA.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    I had the same thought, but here its been 2 months and I'm really not much closer to taking it than I was then.

At least I have a companion now to answer all of my questions
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    I had the same thought, but here its been 2 months and I'm really not much closer to taking it than I was then.

At least I have a companion now to answer all of my questions
    Let's start a "70-293 trek" thread and see how long it lasts

Did you schedule the test already?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    Let's start a "70-293 trek" thread and see how long it lasts

Did you schedule the test already?
    I bet it doesn't last as long as the security+ trek was.

Not yet. I'm going to buy the 5 pack this week and get it on that schedule. Probably still 2-3 weeks out, this aint easy stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    Just passed sec+ this morning
    Congrats! Good luck on the 293!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    this aint easy stuff.
    That's what I want to hear. I admire a good challenge. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is RRAS...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Virtually Certifiable tbgree00's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, ITIL, MCSE, MCSA 03/12,MCITP:EA, EST, EDA7, EA, CCENT
    I was pretty freaked out by this test but I got my highest score on the MCSE trek so far. If you did well on the beast you're 80% ready. GPO and PKI are very important but I don't think they're too tough. The hardest part for me was not labbing autoenrollment of user certificates because I didn't have 2003 Enterprise and didn't bother downloading it and recreating my DCs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by tbgree00 View Post
    IIf you did well on the beast you're 80% ready. GPO and PKI are very important but I don't think they're too tough. The hardest part for me was not labbing autoenrollment of user certificates because I didn't have 2003 Enterprise and didn't bother downloading it and recreating my DCs.
    I did okay on the beast, but I already know that IPSec and RRAS are going to give me a run for my money. Add into that PKI and clustering and you have a very foul tasting soup.

I intend to build a new server to be my Root CA and then I'll make my DC's the issuing CA's and set them up with auto enrollment.

I'm also a little concerned with the wireless part. I watched the nuggets for them, and it looks like CA's coming back except with a new twist. I'm not sure I'll be able to lab up on that though.
    Last edited by Devilsbane; 10-08-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: killed autolinking
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    Just passed sec+ this morning and I'm really looking forward to finishing mcse. I'm excited about this test because, well, I love networking. That is all. Carry on.
    Damn you! I am taking it tomorrow

Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl8ckr0uter View Post
    Damn you! I am taking it tomorrow

Congrats!
    You going to join us in here after sec+?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    You going to join us in here after sec+?
    He should probably start with the 290 or 291. Jumping right into the 293 could be the bad news bears.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Virtually Certifiable tbgree00's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, ITIL, MCSE, MCSA 03/12,MCITP:EA, EST, EDA7, EA, CCENT
    He should probably start with the 290 or 291. Jumping right into the 293 could be the bad news bears.
    Despite adversity and nobody thinking they could do it the Bad New Bears beat the best team. So you're saying that he will overcome this test despite conventional wisdom saying he doesn't have a chance!?!

Think of the movie rights to this story. The modern day epic!

Yeah that was dumb. I don't remember spending much time on wireless apart from what the CBT Nuggets had. I wouldn't stress too awful much, it's a lot less about the details of how it works and more about what to configure and when to use which encryption.

Edit: So apparently typing cbt nuggets like I did caused it to automatically link to the website and pop up a box when I moused over it. Interesting.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by tbgree00 View Post
    Edit: So apparently typing cbt nuggets like I did caused it to automatically link to the website and pop up a box when I moused over it. Interesting.
    It did for me too, so I edited my post and just called them nuggets. That'll show the man.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Oh yeah, forgot he hasnt done mcsa yet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    He's probably not likely to either. In his current path he seems to have adopted the attitude of learn the MS rechnology and skip the MS certs. Since he seems to be more aimed at networking/security I think that may actually be a good choice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    Do say yet lol.

Truthfully I was just having a conversation with my wife about this very issue. I don't have enough networking experience to get into most of the cisco positions in my area even though I'd like to go into network(ing) security. I am also not very comfortable with my Windows Client/Server knowledge as a whole. I am no longer ok with not just not knowing. I also know that MS bores me a bit and I probably won't study it unless I have a goal in mind (besides simply learning). Now the question is 2003 then 2008 or 2008? My company is using 2003 DCs and will be upgrading to all 2003 and 2008 servers within the next year. I want to be apart of that. I also still need to work on building the win7 image we will use. MCSA (with windows 7 client exam) would match our network perfectly. I also have been keeping an eye on jobs in the area. Most of them want 2008 knowledge/experience. I could go directly to the MCITP:EA and go from there. I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of each path. I also know It would be one more test for me to go MCSA>MCITP:EA than just MCITP:EA. I might end up going this route. I could probably knock out 290 this year and 291 early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    He's probably not likely to either. In his current path he seems to have adopted the attitude of learn the MS rechnology and skip the MS certs. Since he seems to be more aimed at networking/security I think that may actually be a good choice.
    That was the plan, until I had an interesting conversation with a recruiter (looking for a security analyst). Basically they were asking me questions about MS technologies that I had no ideas about and they were basically like you need more windows knowledge/experience. It was kind of an eye opener.

My concern with doing SSCP, GSEC and others is that I won't be able to really use those skills because I won't know that basic adminish stuff of windows (and thus won't get the call backs). At the very least I will probably go an MCTS in either windows 7 or AD. Who knows!?! I just got another call about a senior NOC position that is paying about 15k more than I am making and they are heavy cisco, checkpoint and juniper. The place was too far away (over 60 miles) and I am not looking to move yet anyway. What it is going to come down to is do I think I can "force" my way into a high level security position or do I feel like I should round myself...
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 10-08-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I think 2003 is the better place to start, but of course you knew that because thats the path I'm taking. Earweed would disagree, thats why he is taking the 2008 path. In the end, does it matter? Probably not very much.

I like the idea of getting MCSE now, because the name is so well known. I also think that in 5 years when it isn't possible to get one anymore, that I will be viewed as a veteran in the field. Even companies who are upgrading to 2008, probably won't be really using 2008 for at least a year or so. In order to up the DFL or FFL, all of the 2003 boxes will have to be off the network (or at least no longer DC's). At some point I intend to get the MCITP:SA:EA, but I don't need to get it right now. It will still be an option for years to come.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I actually chose the 2008 path mainly because it will allow me to complete my degree sooner at WGU. It's not a which one is better issue. I had labbed with 2003 prior to starting down the 2008 path because I was initially going to go for the MCSE.
    I still have Server 2003 VMs that I sometimes use to compare it to 2008 and now 2008 R2 (what's different and different steps to configure it).
    I'm totally aware of the lack of knowledge recruiters have of the 2008 MCITP as I have had to explain it to every one I have been in contact with.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    I'm totally aware of the lack of knowledge recruiters have of the 2008 MCITP as I have had to explain it to every one I have been in contact with.
    I don't think this is as big as it once was.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I don't think this is as big as it once was.
    At one point I did a search on monster for MCSE vs MCITP (which would include more than just the SA or EA roles) and MCSE still had many more hits. This was a couple months ago, and things might have changed. I would get new numbers for you, but will not go check monster out on a work computer, even if it is purely for curiosity.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Down here the MCSE is still king. Most companies still use 2003 and XP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Now the question is 2003 then 2008 or 2008?
    03 to 08. I only say this because of how much 03 is still out there. Learning both gives you the best of both.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA 2k3 (270/290/291/293), Sec+, Net+, Server+, A+, Cert. in EE
    Black.... I would suggest the '03 and then the '08 path, you would be VERY rounded then. I have read many comments on TE about how the '03 helps build on the '08 certs, most seem to think the '08 path is easier that way. It's my plan, plus the WGU portion allows for MCSE 2k3 to be used in place of the MCITP:EA, but the deadline is the 31st of December.

MS is so widely used that you pretty much need MS/Cisco higher end certs to get the good positions. I know that isn't "gospel", but with the current economy, recruiters and employers are using that, along with a BS, to ask for more and even pay less. I struggled with the 293 ( never failed a test like this one before) and my best advice is lab it up.

I am using a Dell Precision laptop with 4 gig/2.5 dual core ghz proc/120 gig hdd.

Here is how I set everything up on the XP host:

1- VM Server is used, it's a free download. VM Player is good, but server allows better host network settings, I can move the USB devices with a click of the mouse between each VM session, and I can back up my VM's (copy) to an external HDD in case I blow something up. You can change the network settings easily from Host/NAT/Bridged, I use NAT when downloading updates from MS, then I moved them to Host so my lab is set up as it's own subnet and everything is working fine as it's own domain.

2- I can run 4 MS servers, 3 Ent for DC/clustering and 1 Standard for a FP server. It's a little laggy once I start them up and the XP VM's listed below, but works. When I mean laggy, I mean with everything running at once, moving from one session to the other is about 1-2 second delay max. I can live with that for what I am trying to do.

3- I have 3 XP machines set up. 512 mg/8 gig partitions/host and NAT for networking. I love the fact that the VM's expand contract their size on the fly.

If I didn't do that, I don't know how I would have been able to put the NLB/Clustering/CA/PKI and GPO portions to good test. With all the info that this test covers, it was the only way for me to really see how everything works.

Now with 294/298/299 due by Dec. 31st (my personal goals for the :S designator), that same set up is helpful for rest of the tests. When I start to work on the MCITP stuff, my lab will already be in place for adding 2k8 stuff. At that point, I can manipulate my current lab domain and already have a second spare laptop to set up a new domain with 2k8 and work on trusts and nesting. That will help in a "real world" scenario, which is exactly what my company is going to do next year.

Sorry if I am long winded on this, and in the 293 section, but this was the only test that really kicked my rear and trying to add enough info about the VM settings, in case someone has never used VM's before. It took me a bit of time just to install and update each VM, but it's been worth every amount of time spent.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by motogpman; 10-09-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks