+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    485

    Certifications
    MCITP, MCSA, CCNA, VCA, ACA
    #1

    Default Agile or SCRUM Material?

    Any books or courses you all recommend for Agile or SCRUM?

    I'm completely new to all of this so beginner books or videos would be great!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

    Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,647
    #2
    Only Agile/Scrum certification taken seriously that I have seen.

    https://www.scrumalliance.org/certif...crummaster-csm
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. California Kid JoJoCal19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,340

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DatabaseHead View Post
    Only Agile/Scrum certification taken seriously that I have seen.

    https://www.scrumalliance.org/certif...crummaster-csm
    I've seen the same, and that's a shame. It's a good cert, but kind of pay to play since you have to pay a grand for a classroom training, and then are basically given the cert.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    485

    Certifications
    MCITP, MCSA, CCNA, VCA, ACA
    #4
    Beyond the cert does anyone have recommended reading or viewing? I would love the cert but not key here at the moment. Looking for a resource to get to know Agile and come back to it as a reference.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    I've seen the same, and that's a shame. It's a good cert, but kind of pay to play since you have to pay a grand for a classroom training, and then are basically given the cert.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

    Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,647
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    I've seen the same, and that's a shame. It's a good cert, but kind of pay to play since you have to pay a grand for a classroom training, and then are basically given the cert.
    I actually like that. Keeps the market from getting flooded by a bunch of cert addicts...... It seems like it organically manages itself.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    332

    Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    #6
    As somone in the market for this cert, I've done research and can tell you that its pretty much the only cert worth mentioning in agile development
    Completed in 2017: MBA: Information Technology Management (WGU)
    Currently Working On: PMP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. California Kid JoJoCal19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,340

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DatabaseHead View Post
    I actually like that. Keeps the market from getting flooded by a bunch of cert addicts...... It seems like it organically manages itself.
    I don't like that aspect. You end up with a bunch of people with the cert but couldn't handle the duties of a SCRUM Master if their life depended on it. And I've seen that and have also heard from others. And I think it actually is worse for the cert because anyone can pay the $800-$1000 and be a CSM. The test isn't really a test of anything.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,647
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    I don't like that aspect. You end up with a bunch of people with the cert but couldn't handle the duties of a SCRUM Master if their life depended on it. And I've seen that and have also heard from others. And I think it actually is worse for the cert because anyone can pay the $800-$1000 and be a CSM. The test isn't really a test of anything.
    I highly respect you and in fact am LinkedIn to you, but...... I think for something like this it doesn't really matter. It's an awareness certification more than anything. At the end of the day it's going to end up being the individual who makes or breaks it.

    For instance if you went through 2.5 days of training with your work ethic and prior skills, you would be fine. The more I get experience and work on harder technologies these paper certificates mean less and less. Sorry to come off like that but it's the reality I am faced. One of my good friends is one of the higher security officers in AT&T rank and has 0 certifications. It really comes down to the individual, and like I said earlier you are legit as they come.

    I know PMP's who study their tails off and are JUNK..... I mean JUNK!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    332

    Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DatabaseHead View Post
    I highly respect you and in fact am LinkedIn to you, but...... I think for something like this it doesn't really matter. It's an awareness certification more than anything. At the end of the day it's going to end up being the individual who makes or breaks it.

    For instance if you went through 2.5 days of training with your work ethic and prior skills, you would be fine. The more I get experience and work on harder technologies these paper certificates mean less and less. Sorry to come off like that but it's the reality I am faced. One of my good friends is one of the higher security officers in AT&T rank and has 0 certifications. It really comes down to the individual, and like I said earlier you are legit as they come.

    I know PMP's who study their tails off and are JUNK..... I mean JUNK!
    As a PM, I agree. I know several cert holders in PMP that suck. Still won't stop me from getting one tho
    Completed in 2017: MBA: Information Technology Management (WGU)
    Currently Working On: PMP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. California Kid JoJoCal19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,340

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DatabaseHead View Post
    I highly respect you and in fact am LinkedIn to you, but...... I think for something like this it doesn't really matter. It's an awareness certification more than anything. At the end of the day it's going to end up being the individual who makes or breaks it.

    For instance if you went through 2.5 days of training with your work ethic and prior skills, you would be fine. The more I get experience and work on harder technologies these paper certificates mean less and less. Sorry to come off like that but it's the reality I am faced. One of my good friends is one of the higher security officers in AT&T rank and has 0 certifications. It really comes down to the individual, and like I said earlier you are legit as they come.

    I know PMP's who study their tails off and are JUNK..... I mean JUNK!
    I actually agree with everything you state here The point I didn't agree with was that the setup of the CSM keeps the market from cert addicts. I think the pay to play setup invites people who just want a piece of paper to pad their resume. I agree with your point about paper certs and that's why after this PMP exam I'm done with certs where you just have to read and do rote memorization and be tested on what random facts you can remember. I wasn't pointing this just at the CSM cert, although it's a glaring example. There are plenty of CISSPs, PMPs, etc that aren't up to the tasks. At least with those certs there are fairly challenging exams. With the CSM you basically pay to take the class and are almost given the cert. I know people who took the class and "achieved" the CSM but couldn't really tell you the first thing about how to handle a SCRUM project.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    485

    Certifications
    MCITP, MCSA, CCNA, VCA, ACA
    #11
    Guys I love the discussion but need book or video recommendations. I picked up the book Learning Agile.

    Hopefully it helps!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

    Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. California Kid JoJoCal19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,340

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    #12
    Hey Taco, I don't have physical books for it, but I have the Kindle versions of these:

    https://www.amazon.com/Agile-Project...ect+management

    https://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Breatht...ect+management
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,647
    #13
    Let me save you some time.

    Learn these items and you'll be fine.

    Backlog
    Scrum
    Sprint
    Kanban Board
    Impediments
    Product Owner
    Product


    The beauty of SCRUM is it's REAL WORLD. Unlike the goofy a$$ PMP, no offense.

    Scrum is literally take requirements, review and start execution once their priority comes up. Unlike the PMP which focuses on the majority of the work effort in a planning cycle (Most of the processes are in this group). If you try that real world your a$$ is grass.

    Real world project management, Intiation planning ​Execution.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. California Kid JoJoCal19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,340

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    #14
    Tried to rep you DB but I have to spread it around, blah. Totally agree. I mean waterfall works, it's just wholly inefficient. If a project can be done in an agile manner, it absolutely should be. Just my opinion.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,647
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mzx380 View Post
    As a PM, I agree. I know several cert holders in PMP that suck. Still won't stop me from getting one tho
    Then find a deal on the SCRUM Master certification. If you book in advance you can get a course session for ~750 USD. 2.5 days of studying and training you are good to go. No need to worry about studying for 4 months and paying 500 for an exam that has a high fail rate. That sounds like a bad investment too me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    332

    Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by DatabaseHead View Post
    Then find a deal on the SCRUM Master certification. If you book in advance you can get a course session for ~750 USD. 2.5 days of studying and training you are good to go. No need to worry about studying for 4 months and paying 500 for an exam that has a high fail rate. That sounds like a bad investment too me.
    Great advice
    Unfortunately, I still plan on taking the PMP first followed immediately by CSM. That way, I can apply the PDUs towards the cert at least.
    Completed in 2017: MBA: Information Technology Management (WGU)
    Currently Working On: PMP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,647
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by mzx380 View Post
    Great advice
    Unfortunately, I still plan on taking the PMP first followed immediately by CSM. That way, I can apply the PDUs towards the cert at least.
    Good luck on your adventure. Just because I think the certification is a joke, I will never discredit someone who obtains it. It most certainly does take dedication and it does have value for CERTAIN PM jobs. My experience with it has been somewhat negative. I've seen hiring managers scoff at it and speak poor about it. This may not be the sentiment of the masses, but it's been my experience.

    I'd rather pay the 750, do the 2.5 days get my cert and say see ya. With 3 kids and a really good job I don't really care about paper......
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Member dizzy_kitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    54

    Certifications
    Security+, PMP, CCNA
    #18
    I'm currently taking an Agile (PMI Cert) course for my graduate studies. We use two books. My professor seems to really emphasize this one (recommends it to everyone):

    Broza, Gil, The Agile Mind-Set, First Edition; ISBN 978-1514769331, Publisher: 3P Vantage Media, 2015.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014CA3YKG...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,647
    #19
    For the course mentioned above I would go with this.

    https://www.amazon.com/PMI-ACP-Exam-...LE+study+guide

    https://www.amazon.com/PMI-ACP-Exam-.../dp/1932735585

    Mike Griffith was one of the original members on the steering committed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    12
    #20
    Don't worry, scrum exam is not too difficult
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks