+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I finished the exam this morning and I would have to say that I feel a bit underwhelmed.

It was 130 questions, which made me feel a bit sick when I realized that. I feel like they could have tested the same material in 40 questions, but I do understand that this is a beta and they want to try to gather some statistics.

I would rank this exam in difficulty as equivalent to the PMP. The PMP is a really easy exam IMO (please note, this isn't hyperbole on my part, I'm not that great at multiple choice exams, and I've taken some very hard ones in my day, including 70-291...the PMP in no way compares to the more difficult exams out there that many of you have taken). Basically you need to know the same things for Project+ that you would need to know for the PMP.

I would recommend this book as prep for this exam:

Amazon.com: PMP Exam Prep, Sixth Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam (9781932735185): Rita Mulcahy, PMP: Books

I used that book and her test prep material for the PMP back when I took it.

In fact, I'll go even further to say that there is little need for a specific Project+ book.

Understand what project charters are and how they're used. Know the method for determining lines of communication and what this means, understand what a WBS is.

Other than that, much of what is tested is common sense. Good luck to all doing this. For those of you that haven't signed up, why not take a shot at it?

MS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    I have near zero experience with project management, just what ive seen/heard at work.

I just took this exam a few mins ago and it was about 90% common sense...the rest was acronyms that you either know or dont know, but i didnt read ANY material to prepare for this so i didnt know them.

I would say i have a fair chance at passing this exam, and considering my total lack of experience/prep with any project exams....this makes CompTIA look even more worthless.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GCIA, GCIH, MCP, Net+, Sec+, CCNA, Proj+, A+, CIW, AESA, CCNA:Sec
    I forgot how boring it was to read about this stuff. Makes me want to cut my wrists it's so dry and boring.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by L0gicB0mb508 View Post
    I forgot how boring it was to read about this stuff. Makes me want to cut my wrists it's so dry and boring.
    When I was taking it I was remembering back to studying for the PMP, and how that was about as much fun as when I was about 21 and my jaw was broken and wired shut.

One thing I should mention to any of you studying for this (or the PMP) is that I highly recommend against reading the PMBOK as a study aid. I made the mistake of reading that to study for the PMP back when I took it. Not that the information is bad in there, it's just not really designed to be used as study material...

MS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    I almost took this test myself as it was a requirement for the MCNE which I ran out of time to finish in 2007. For my part I looked over the Project+ from Sybex and if that material was anything to go by it really was a very doable test but do need to prepare for it.

I think a lot of people underestimate it as with a lot of projecty or management things they are dismissed as common sense dressed up with jargon and bloat. I suppose this is understandable but not the whole story. Years ago I combined History with Management studies for my Degree. I noticed that most students in the Management class, myself included had no prior management experience or management academic training. Contrast that with the History class where most people had A level History already i.e two years of rigerous training and external examination in historical source analysis and methods. Getting decent marks on Management classes was a breeze compared to History, even for the really good A level people. I felt business type classes were easier than Arts or Hard Sciences as did my peers. But that doesn't mean they don't have value. In fact to counter balance this observation I would say that while doing well in class for things like this was *easier*, applying that instruction in ways that are useful in the field can be very difficult indeed. Contrast that with the *harder* subjects where if you do reach the heights in class most probably you will go on to higher studies but essentially more of the same thing in an academic setting as opposed to trying to turn a failing million dollar project around. Being an ace in class might help you there, but only if you can correctly apply what you learned in a live setting. This is one of the challenges of academic and vocational training in management. How to help people do things like that.

Looking back I find that some of things taught in class came in very useful admittedly sometimes in obtuse ways later on in professional life. I would encourage any IT professional to get at least some exposure to things like this not least as they are so accessible which is a really good thing. You don't need a razor sharp brain or prior training to learn this stuff. You will not split atoms. Using it properly in the field is the challenge. Anyone with no project management experience can not only pass this exam but get some insight into what PM entails and that's a good thing IMO.

Be careful not to underestimate this exam though. You need to get your head around the ice cream flavour that project management is sold as in this test. There is terminology, components, various documents, lifecycle to get your head around. So do read something so you don't get caught out. Also for those of you who have not worked alongside PMs for years like I have as a technical designer supporting deliveries, keep an open mind on the methodologies you are introduce to. Project managers are legion these days and there are many styles. Some productive, some less so and that can be as much to do with the type of assignment handed to a PM as the ability of the PM themselves. A good match is important there!

Further you will find that while some of the things covered by the exam are used in a project setting, some others may not be. There are also the proprietary methodologies like Prince etc to consider.

Overall though, worth looking at if you have time and yeah..it can be a dull read!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    Strange...I tried to schedule my exam today, and Pearson Vue shows appointments available for the Project+ through October 15th. I guess they've extended the test deadline again?? I emailed the contact at CompTIA that sent me the voucher, I'll post an update from her when I get a response.

UPDATE: got a response from CompTIA:
    The exam is scheduled to come down 10/15 or when 400 people have taken it. I had several groups of vouchers extended; if you can register for the exam in October using your voucher, then yours was one of them.
    Last edited by skrpune; 09-19-2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, Server+,Security+, MCTS:Vista, MCP, MCDST
    I took this exam Friday, Sept 18th. I studied for this exam for about two weeks using the Sybex book and man does it suck. Then I said whatever and after chapter 5 I just read the summaries and took the practice exams with it. The beta format wasn't hard, however it wasn't as easy as what the other people claimed it to be. There weren't too many common sense questions. Took me about an hour to answer the 130 questions. Make sure you fully understand the WBS, project charter, and the project scope document cause they got alot of those. I think I have a good chance of passing if the pass rate is similar to the current project+ score. lol.... lets see how this goes...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine-Assault View Post
    I took this exam Friday, Sept 18th. I studied for this exam for about two weeks using the Sybex book and man does it suck. Then I said whatever and after chapter 5 I just read the summaries and took the practice exams with it. The beta format wasn't hard, however it wasn't as easy as what the other people claimed it to be. There weren't too many common sense questions. Took me about an hour to answer the 130 questions. Make sure you fully understand the WBS, project charter, and the project scope document cause they got alot of those. I think I have a good chance of passing if the pass rate is similar to the current project+ score. lol.... lets see how this goes...
    hehehe..it was a sucky read that book and if I recall there was all this stuff about project charter and project scope in that practice exam. A dry read indeed. Hope you pass. The passing score for the last version was very generous.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Linux+, Server+,Security+, MCTS:Vista, MCP, MCDST
    Quote Originally Posted by Turgon View Post
    hehehe..it was a sucky read that book and if I recall there was all this stuff about project charter and project scope in that practice exam. A dry read indeed. Hope you pass. The passing score for the last version was very generous.

Thank you, I hope I pass as well but I can understand if I don't because even if I do pass..... I don't think I can even make a project charter LOL. But yea, no kidding about the previous pass rate. Actually considering about taking the current project+ if I fail the beta if I have the money.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    I might take it again if I fail too. Two weeks is not enough time for me to actually study the material, espeically when I'm in school fulltime and working. So I'll spend this semester studying the material while waiting for the results and I'll use what I learn in my System Analysis and Design class to reinforce the material.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Psychotron Member Megadeth4168's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Server+,Project+,MCSE, CCNA:S, CISSP, CCNP, CEH, GCED
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine-Assault View Post
    I took it on the 16th myself... I have to say, I'm in full agreement with your assessment of the exam. It wasn't an easy exam, but it also wasn't a difficult exam. I think I must have missed out on the "common sense" pool of question myself, since my experience was pretty much the same as yours.

I think my passing the beta could go either way on this one. It's funny, because I only read the first 5 chapters as well. After that I was just practice question from the book.... That was a few months ago though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I bought the Transcender study guide. It seems more to the point which I like. I take this bad boy Friday, so this is my week of "real" study.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    I go back from taking the test and it wasn't that bad. I wish I had more time to study the material. I didn't even finish reading the sybex book. I figure if I fail the exam that I'll retake it so by then, I'll know the material and I'll pass for sure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    ISA, A+, Network+, I-Net+, IBM, HP

Default just got my beta voucher

Looks like I'm going to have to take this thing within the next 2 weeks.

I actually failed the test by about 3 points back in 2006. I was VERY hung over and I took it first thing in the morning (stupid I know)! Hopefully I'll make up for it with this free beta exam.

I'm going to review my notes from grad school and use my old 2003 sybex book. Hopefully it wont be too bad.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I took it on Friday. It seemed like it was pretty straight forward. I'm guessing since it was 130 questions you got pretty much the entire test pool. It was extremely repetitive. I also found some of the questions kind of vague and poorly worded, but it was honestly "common sense" of project management material. There were a few tricky questions though. I really doubt I would take it again if I didn't pass.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks