+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS

Default Actually enjoying Project+ book

Ok, maybe I am strange but I actually am enjoying reading the Project+ Study Guide from Sybex. During college I really enjoyed the business classes for some reason. Anyone else enjoy studying for Project+ or Project Management in general?

I think another reason I am enjoying it is because it's lighter reading than the CCNA or Security+. My brain is fried and I needed something less technical to read
    Last edited by veritas_libertas; 01-06-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    I hear you - I'm doing my first non-technical reading in YEARS (George Carlin's memoir, great read) and it's so enjoyable to read something that's not too heavy.

I considered taking a project management course at school (I can use it as an elective), but when I was considering doing the Project+ beta, I found the subject matter terribly boring..maybe I wasn't using the right book??
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by skrpune View Post
    I hear you - I'm doing my first non-technical reading in YEARS (George Carlin's memoir, great read) and it's so enjoyable to read something that's not too heavy.

I considered taking a project management course at school (I can use it as an elective), but when I was considering doing the Project+ beta, I found the subject matter terribly boring..maybe I wasn't using the right book??
    That or I am a boring person...

I guess I am intrigued by how IT projects are run, which the book (though it covers projects in general) emphasizes.

Is this the one you used skrpune?
    Amazon.com: Project+ Study Guide (Book & CD-ROM) (9780782144086): William Heldman, Lona Cram: Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCTS: 70-680, MCP: 70-270, Security+, Net+, A+
    I found the Project+ exam to be fun too...probably because it's the least technical certification I've ever studied for. My post about my Project+ experience is only a few threads down too. Take a glance at it when you're getting ready to sit the exam
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Couple here, a couple there
    Yeah I thought the Project+ materiel was fun, probably because it was different from the normal technical material.

Now if Comptia will only get us the results of the beta. I loved the price (free) but the wait is really turning me away from doing anymore of their betas!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by steve13ad View Post
    Yeah I thought the Project+ materiel was fun, probably because it was different from the normal technical material.

Now if Comptia will only get us the results of the beta. I loved the price (free) but the wait is really turning me away from doing anymore of their betas!
    I'll take one any day...

If I had more time last year I would have done much better on the Server+, and would have done the Project+ as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Couple here, a couple there
    You can't beat the price but this waiting is killing me!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    That or I am a boring person...

I guess I am intrigued by how IT projects are run, which the book (though it covers projects in general) emphasizes.

Is this the one you used skrpune?
    Amazon.com: Project+ Study Guide (Book & CD-ROM) (9780782144086): William Heldman, Lona Cram: Books
    Lol, yup, that's it. I think I just didn't have my heart in my studies at that point. I was a bit overloaded between multiple certs and school and work at the time and I ended up skipping the beta exam because I didn't get far enough with my studies. I got through maybe a couple chapters and just ran out of time and steam.

I might pick it back up again this year or next year if I end up taking that project management class. I also might be able to go for my CAPM (the "lite" version of the PMP, as I see it) - work may pay for training & the exam, and if they do, I'm so there.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. aka KitKatNinja

Certifications
    Alot - Microsoft, Citrix, HP, Apple, Comptia and VMWare
    I would have enjoyed studying for the Project+ alot more, however I was using the older material for the beta, so was rushed.

But "yes" I liked it, less technical & something different

-ken
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    I'm planning to take the Project+ next month. I'm actually still enjoying studying for the Project+. As I have said before, my company is constantly involved in different government projects and the Project+ has opened my eyes to why we do what we do. Studying for this exam has also helped me understand terms that I hear and will hopefully help me intelligently discuss our projects.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    Ok, maybe I am strange but I actually am enjoying reading the Project+ Study Guide from Sybex. During college I really enjoyed the business classes for some reason. Anyone else enjoy studying for Project+ or Project Management in general?

I think another reason I am enjoying it is because it's lighter reading than the CCNA or Security+. My brain is fried and I needed something less technical to read
    Right there with you. I took a project management course last quarter at school. It was a nice change of pace. Once I get some more experience, I think I'll work on the PMP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Psoasman View Post
    Right there with you. I took a project management course last quarter at school. It was a nice change of pace. Once I get some more experience, I think I'll work on the PMP.
    I'm considering doing that as well. I have started a Word document to compile any projects I have worked on or headed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    I've been watching the skillsoft videos for this exam. Not bad actually...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    It can't help but be better than the old book I used. The one from last year.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    It can't help but be better than the old book I used. The one from last year.
    As I said in another post, "It was actually enjoyable!"
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management

Default Fyi

Veritas and others at WGU who may want to know:

My mentor advised me that they're having a meeting with the CompTIA program coordinator next Friday to discuss other program materials that aren't so "dry" (his words....so I'm guessing many students have been loud and clear about the materials used for the Project+ exam). I plan on asking him how that goes. Project+ isn't in my sights currently, but I just I'd pass that out to you. Your mentor will most likely be attending that meeting so maybe you want to touch base with him and get more info on that. I plan on doing the same after Friday.

The only thing I've seen really is the Sybex book for 003. I haven't seen much else.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A few
    *looking at signature and going back to reading*
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by jahsoul View Post
    *looking at signature and going back to reading*
    Huh?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    He doesn't find the book as interesting as you do apparently..lol
    Current Journey: Project+ aka....*5 minutes of reading*....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. I eat bubbles Alif_Sadida_Ekin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    Veritas and others at WGU who may want to know:

My mentor advised me that they're having a meeting with the CompTIA program coordinator next Friday to discuss other program materials that aren't so "dry" (his words....so I'm guessing many students have been loud and clear about the materials used for the Project+ exam). I plan on asking him how that goes. Project+ isn't in my sights currently, but I just I'd pass that out to you. Your mentor will most likely be attending that meeting so maybe you want to touch base with him and get more info on that. I plan on doing the same after Friday.

The only thing I've seen really is the Sybex book for 003. I haven't seen much else.
    Yep, my mentor told me this as well. When I first started the Project+ course, I made it clear how unhappy I was with the material they sent me. I think it's a book directly from CompTIA. That book is the most boring piece of crap I've ever read. I'm reading the Sybex book from books 24x7 for free and am finding it a much easier read (material is still boring, but I just think that it's the subject itself). I'm sitting this thing on Friday. We'll see how it goes.
    MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Good luck on your test Friday!
    I used the Sybex book for the old exam and found it to be ok.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by Alif_Sadida_Ekin View Post
    Yep, my mentor told me this as well. When I first started the Project+ course, I made it clear how unhappy I was with the material they sent me. I think it's a book directly from CompTIA. That book is the most boring piece of crap I've ever read. I'm reading the Sybex book from books 24x7 for free and am finding it a much easier read (material is still boring, but I just think that it's the subject itself). I'm sitting this thing on Friday. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck on the exam! Has MeasureUp been helpful in prepping you? Are you using any other test prep material like Transcenders or uCertify?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    He doesn't find the book as interesting as you do apparently..lol

Oh, LOL
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. I eat bubbles Alif_Sadida_Ekin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    Good luck on the exam! Has MeasureUp been helpful in prepping you? Are you using any other test prep material like Transcenders or uCertify?

Does WGU provide the measureup practice tests for this class like they do with the other classes? The Sybex book is the only material I'm using.
    MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks