+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Member

Certifications
    CCNA:R/S, CCNA:SEC, CASP, SEC+, GSE, GSEC, GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GCWN, GPEN, GSNA
    Thanks, now I just have to get through the lab in September. The written doesn't take any special strategy for preparation. Good indexes and take the practice tests. I used the same indexes I used when I took gcia and gcih the first time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    Anyone got any advice for preparing for the GSE Lab? Three aren't many folks who've taken it and those I know who have are tight lipped about it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    So for those still interested. Took the GSE lab at Network Security 2017. Without giving away the goods. I will tell you that:

1. Time management is paramount. They don't give you extra points because it took you a long time. If you're struggling with something look over the rest of the requirements for that part of the test and see if you can make money else where.

2. This is the first certification test I've taken where the exam is so closely aligned with the objectives. I was able to make last minute study/cram decisions based on the objectives that turned out to be very meaningful.

All that to say that I have no idea of I passed yet or not. The fine folks at GIAC have 30 days to render their verdict on pass/fail.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    Just got the good news today via email that I passed the lab and been awarded the GSE!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    CISSP, GSIP,GCED, GCIH, GSEC, GCCC, A+ , CEH, SCRUM Master
    Congrats on the GSE. That is a huge accomplishment, almost mystical. Outside SANS instructors had not ever heard of anyone actually completing the lab portion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    OH YEAH!!!

Congratulations!!! We're lucky to have a fellow TE member as a GSE! hopefully you won't be the last
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    GNFA, GCIH, Sec+
    Congratulations!! My Dream Cert.. one day i feel like retiring after obtaining it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network +, GSEC, GCIH, Lunatic+
    Quote Originally Posted by gwood113 View Post
    I passed. The last thing I did this morning was take the gsec and gcia practice tests. I ran out of time before I could get gcih done. Used my gcih and gcia books and indexes. Didn't have any printed materials from gsec.
    Congratulations.

I had a quick question about the practice tests. Normally the GSEC is a 5 hour practice test and the GCIH 4 hours if memory serves me correctly. Where your practice tests as long? Or did they have fewer questions and a shorter time period?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CEHv7, CISSP, MCSA 2012, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GCWN, GCFA, GPEN, GSNA
    gwood113: Congrats on the pass! I just submitted my application for the written exam and hope to sit it by Mid-November. At that point, I have to work on setting up a home environment for my lab.

How did you find the written portion?
    Last edited by URG_PSH_FIN; 10-16-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    MS in Information Assurance - Regis University

2017 Goals - [Pending Scheduling] GSE Written
    2018 Goals - [ ] GSE Lab [ ] OSCP Enrollment
    Late 2018-Early 2019 Goals: [ ] RHCSA [ ] RHCE
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member

Certifications
    For practice tests:
    I took the written back in may sp I don't quite remember how long the practice tests were. I normally just blast through practice tests with no index and explanations for wrong answers turned on. Memory tells me that they looked and felt like regular practice tests though.

For the GSE written:
    It is straight forward. It covers the core of 401, 503, and 504. I took my 503 and 504 books and indexes into the test with me and did fine. Don't let the fact that it's the GSE give you anxiety. At the end of the day it's one more GIAC test and you'll have taken a grip of them (unless you're a writer) by the time you get to this one so you should be somewhat comfortable with them so just prepare like you normally would.

For the lab:
    Like I said a couple posts ago, the lab objectives and the list of programs on the GSE site is what should guide your study. Be good at, and/or with, all the items mentioned and you should do well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CEHv7, CISSP, MCSA 2012, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GCWN, GCFA, GPEN, GSNA
    Appreciate the info! Again, congrats on the pass. I am just waiting on my application to be approved so I can sign-up to sit the exam.
    MS in Information Assurance - Regis University

2017 Goals - [Pending Scheduling] GSE Written
    2018 Goals - [ ] GSE Lab [ ] OSCP Enrollment
    Late 2018-Early 2019 Goals: [ ] RHCSA [ ] RHCE
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    CISSP, GSLC, GCFE, GCCC, GSEC, GCIH, MCSE, CCA, CCNA (expired)
    Congrats.

Thanks for the insights. I still need to take Sec503/GIAC, but that is on my objectives for next year.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    GPEN/GCIH/CEH
    Wow congrats, first GSE lab review on this board in a while. or ever?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks