+ Reply to Thread
  1. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network +, GSEC, GCIH, Lunatic+

Default Bombed first GREM practice test

Got a 60%, I was kinda dreading taking the practice test, I found the course very tough.

The good is most of the questions I used my index for, there was enough info I could answer the question without looking up the answer in the books, I used the books to look up about 5 answers where where wasn't enough detail in my index.

The bad, despite how detailed I thought my index was (927 entries), I was still missing several keywords for some of the questions the exam asked, several I had no clue on or where to look them up and others not nearly enough details.

Used index more than I would have liked, answered maybe 25 questions without looking them up. Made a couple some stupid answer mistakes as well.

Scored one star on Win Assembly code concepts for reverse-engineering, 2 stars on malware analysis using memory forensics, analyzing web-based Malware and Common win Malware characteristics in assembly. I found myself rushing too much at the beginning of the exam, I had to force myself to slow down, finished with 2 minutes to spare.

Exam is due Dec. 6th, seriously considering paying for a extend, since I'll be away on vacation for a week this month.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    GREM, GPEN, GCFA, GCIH, GSEC, GCFE, ACE, MCSA
    GREM was a really tough course with a lot of information to take in. I scored a 71 or 72 on my first practice test and a 84 or so on my second. I ended up passing the exam with an 80. After the first practice test I really revamped my index and added A LOT of info. I think my index was around 1500 entries. This was definitely overkill but it helped me study more.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+,Security+, EMCISA v2, MCP, MTAx2 , CCENT, CCNA R&S,C|EH,C|HFI,Linux+,LPIC-1,E|CSS,E|CES,GPEN,OSWP,Server+,LPT,GCIH,E|CIH
    Best of luck! I've been keeping my eye on the GREM certification. One thing I found with GIAC exams is read the actual text and make index entries on that not just the slides.
    2017:E|CSA E|CSP,eLearnSecurity Courses 2018: C|ND,ICND2,CCSK,CISSP,CCNA-Security,CSA+,GWAPT 2019: CWNA 2020: LPIC-2
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Too many MCPs and MCTS, MCSA: Security, MCSE: Security, MCSA: 2003, 2008, 2012, MCITP: EA, CISSP-ISSAP, SCS DLP, GREM
    Good luck!

It's a tough nut if you are approaching it without real work experience to back up your studies. I had such a backup so I scored 92 with no index because of the years of analyzing malware.

Given the score and all the lookups during the exam, yeah, it looks like you may want to extend the time available for studies.

Shouldn't be a surprise though, this course starts with 6 and SANS have only a few of them and only one toughest course that starts with 7. It's not a 4xx or 5xx easy course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    Good luck mate! It is a tough one!
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks