+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passed GCIH 93%

1. Junior Member

Certifications
    GCIH, CCNA (R&S + Security), A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, 70-680, CIW x 3

Default Passed GCIH 93%

This was my first SANS training/exam, so I wanted to provide some feedback based on my experience and preparation.

Experience:
    I've been in security for ~8 years and I've for the past year I've been a senior security analyst for an Incident Response team. I think having real world experience was a huge reason for my success. I had a lot of practical troubleshooting experience, so I was able to narrow down most questions simply by process of elimination based on prior knowledge.

Study Experience/Index:
    I am a notorious procrastinator, so I wasted the first 3 months not doing much. I ended up paying $349 to extend my exam and on-demand access because I underestimated the amount of time required for studying and creating the index. I watched the on-demand videos and read through the book twice.

I scored 79% and 83% on my 2 practice exams. I ended up recreating my index after taking my 2nd practice exam. I made it WAY too detailed and I was unable to find anything when I was testing, so I ended up guessing on a lot of the questions on I was unsure of. My 2nd iteration of the index was much simpler the the 1st. I went through each book and notated any keywords, tools, directories, etc that I thought were important. I marked which book and page it was on and then I sorted by the keyword column. There were multiple duplicate keywords (nmap, netcat, etc) that referenced different books/pages, but I never felt overwhelmed with sorting through the books to find what I was looking for. I also tabbed each book to make the main sections easier to thumb to.

I was able to locate 99% of the information I was unsure in the exam from my newly created index. I took well over 3 hours to complete my exam and that included a small break 2/3 of the way through. I made sure to validate every answer I wasn't 100% certain on and I think that made a big difference on my final grade compared to the practice exams.

I'm glad to be done.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    Too many MCPs and MCTS, MCSA: Security, MCSE: Security, MCSA: 2003, 2008, 2012, MCITP: EA, CISSP-ISSAP, SCS DLP, GREM
    Congratz!

Also, from what I know, >90% initiates a SANS/GIAC advisory board invitation protocol.
    Last edited by gespenstern; 12-10-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Completely Clueless TechGromit's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Network +, GSEC, GCIH, GREM, Lunatic+
    Congratulations, and nice score too. I only got a 78%, I found the material and Exam a harder than the SCAN 401 course I took.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, AWS Certified Security - Specialty, Learning Linux & Python
    Next Up:​ AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
    Reading:​ A Cloud Guru, Code Academy
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member Registered Member
    Congrats! I failed twice on my GCIH and currently studying so that I can take the third one. Any tips or advise is appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    x^n
    Congrats. Thanks for the updated information.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks