+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: eCPPT thread

1. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    I had done the GPEN/SANS560 before taking the eJPT. Work paid for it and it was excellent.

A+ and Network+ knowledge is important if you want to get into INFOSEC. It all builds on top of each other. VLANs, Operating Systems, Group Policy, File Permissions, etc. Don't be a tool guy/gal. You have to love learning and studying.
    Awesome, good to know they actually help. I will continue through the comptia videos/books then and work toward eJPT.
    Thanks and good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    I'm currently in the labbing, review, and note taking phase. Trying to grab any time I can to get ready between work and family. I'm nervous about the exam because I know it's gonna be long and to be honest the report writing is my worst fear If anyone who has been through the eCPPT and OSCP has any advise on writing reports I'll gladly take it.
    Be sure to take a good amount of screenshots and make sure they are clear and to the point. Include links to the applicable CWE, CVE, OWASP, WASC, Microsoft Security Bulletin vulnerabilities found. Don't be afraid to make your own charts to make your report look legitimate. I made 2 labeled, 'Vulnerabilities Found by Impact' and 'Attack Vectors by Type'. You'll see inconsistencies on the different graders with eLearnSecurity. To earn my eCPPT Gold and Silver Certifications, I didn't have to write out my steps to replicate the attacks. The individual who graded my eWPT Submission felt it necessary to fail me first go around and told me to include steps for replicating the attack.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Thanks xXsKrisxXx, your comments are spot on.

I just received notice that I passed the exam. I'll update this thread later on today or tomorrow to give my review.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    The eCPPT is probably one of the most enjoyable and difficult courses I've taken. I can't compare it to the OSCP because I've taken that course, although it is on my radar for next year.

I started the course in March of last year and life got in the way. Nearly 365 days to complete Anyhow, I'll break the course down to likes and dislikes:

Like:
    • Videos and PDFs are excellent
    • Although this course emphasizes network pen testing, it goes somewhat deep into web pen testing. More than the GPEN did.
    • Ruby, C and Assembly are covered. Not a deep dive, just enough to get you started on exploit development.
    • Labs are good! I really enjoyed the labs and I still have time left over.
    • Instructors are available and more than willing to help.
    • Forum has active members that are willing to answer your question if it's not outright ridiculous.
    Dislike:
    • Forum members who show themselves to be unwilling to work. Some even like to ask questions about the exam!
    • Some of the software recommended for the web apps was seriously out of date.
    Overall I really enjoyed the course.

The exam for me was challenging but not overwhelming. Most likely because I spent a long time preparing. Probably more than I needed to. Although I disliked it at first, the report writing proved be a good learning experience for me.

Advice if you are going to take this exam:
    • Read all the PDFs, watch all the videos and do all the labs.
    • Read Georgia Wiedman's book: http://www.amazon.com/Penetration-Te.../dp/1593275641. It was a good supplement.
    • When you get to the report writing phase of the exam, ask questions! Each instructor has their own approach to the reports from what I've found.
    • Know System Security portion of the exam. Learn to love Immunity Debugger. It's your friend
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    eJPT, eCPPT
    Do they actually test you on the Ruby and Assembly stuff? Or is it just a longer and more in-depth eJPT exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    You're going to need have some understanding of programming. Not an expert, but at least a novice. You'll end up doing doing some exploit writing to pass the exam. Assembly and Ruby are not required. Know C++.

Comparing it to the eJPT is hard. It's much more difficult.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA
    Congrats!
    WIP:
    MS in Legal Studies - Drexel University
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member
    I'm too currently studying for it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member
    Congratz! I am currently studying eCPPT material to prepare for OSCP ... thanks for the feedback on the course and exam!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+/LPIC-1, C|EH, GMON
    Hey Veritas, you ever continue on to take the OSCP? I know you intended to and I'm finishing the eCPPT as well. Was wondering how that transition is going/how well it prepared you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCSE NT 4.0, CCNA, MCSE Win2k, CISSP, GCIH, CCSK, GPEN
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalabaster View Post
    Hey Veritas, you ever continue on to take the OSCP? I know you intended to and I'm finishing the eCPPT as well. Was wondering how that transition is going/how well it prepared you.
    Subscribed!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member
    what linux distro that usually use for eccpt / elearn security lab / exam ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    Kali Linux is used.
    Booya!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks