+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    Cisco (3), CompTIA (2), EC-Council (2), GIAC (3), ISACA (1), ISC2 (1)
    The list was from 2015 and in no way was going to cover everything...it was more of a base for people to help guide them at a low cost for self funding. Microsoft and Cisco are the only two vendors I would openly recommend as they are everywhere...when you start getting into specific vendors, I only recommend the technology if you use it because the list is endless. Additionally, I listed heavy hitters on job boards because it makes little sense to recommend certifications that won’t get you the most looks. Your recommendations are great for add-ons...I did not want to tell somebody go learn a DLP technology because if they don’t have the foundation, they are less likely to get a job...again the list is from 2015 so the industry focus past entry level has even shifted.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    eCPPT, CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure,FW), LFCS, CEH, PA ACE
    Quote Originally Posted by TechGuru80 View Post
    The list was from 2015 and in no way was going to cover everything...it was more of a base for people to help guide them at a low cost for self funding. Microsoft and Cisco are the only two vendors I would openly recommend as they are everywhere...when you start getting into specific vendors, I only recommend the technology if you use it because the list is endless. Additionally, I listed heavy hitters on job boards because it makes little sense to recommend certifications that won’t get you the most looks. Your recommendations are great for add-ons...I did not want to tell somebody go learn a DLP technology because if they don’t have the foundation, they are less likely to get a job...again the list is from 2015 so the industry focus past entry level has even shifted.
    Ah I see, wow 2015 seems so long ago. I did not realize that someone brought this topic back to life :P
    2018 Goals: SANS Advanced Security Essentials - Enterprise Defender (complete, not going for cert), SpecterOps: Adversary Tactics Red Team OPS (complete), eCPPT (obtained), OSCP PWK (2nd Attempt), Demystifying Regular Expressions (in progress), SLAE (October Start), OSCE CTP (DEC Start)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP CEH CCNP Security
    A person with 2 years experience under their belt will be very hard-pressed to get a CCIE Security, just sayin'.
    A CCIE in any track requires a significant investment of time, and a solid technical background that is nearly impossible to obtain within such a relatively short time frame.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    MCSE:Cloud Platform & Infrastrucure,MCSA: Office 365, MCSA:Windows Server 2012 R2, Cloud Essentials, SEC +, A+, HBSS 4.5, HBSS 4.5 ADV
    Great post, only problem I see is that for the CISA certification you need to be able to verify 5 years of experience in either Information Systems, Security, or Auditing. So the 2+ years doesn't really align with that. CISA is considered by many a management level cert anyway. It just focuses on technical abilities rather than the Management overview. I just feel like the CISA should be placed in the 4-5+ years section of your post, because of the required experience to earn the certification. Sure you can take the exam without the experience, but you must gain that experience within 10 years of passing the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Cisco (3), CompTIA (2), EC-Council (2), GIAC (3), ISACA (1), ISC2 (1)
    That's fair...there is always the debate with certs like CISA and CISSP whether to take them before you have the experience or not. Honestly most Information Security jobs can apply to the CISA domains so I don't really see the 10 year mark being a big issue. The job somebody has a lot of impact on which certifications people go for so it's one of those "it depends" arguments.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks