+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Thread: eCPPT journey

1. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    @Moose: Im in a similar position to you. I think if you have the time and resource you can just shoot for the OSCP, or you can do what I did and just go with the eCPPT....update or not it wont matter a lot, you're still gaining knowledge...if they update the eCPPT I'd pay the 200-300 and upgrade, not a big amount to be honest. I should use my time to study more and gain those skills.
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, MCSE 2000, CCNA, eJPT, LPIC1, OSCP
    So having to update the material from PTPv3 to PTPv4 means paying more money! Having to fork out an extra $200 means the 20% discount was practically useless and will still end up paying the full amount for the course. It's abit of a rip off if you ask me as I expect the upgrades to be for free especially to the students who would have paid the full price in the first place! I will now definitely wait till the new material is out and upgrade before starting the course. Hope they upgrade the course in a months time or so....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    I just got done reading the forums and I guess I'll have to wait then. I hope that the price doesn't go up but now I gotta figure out what certification I can go after... Maybe C|EH just because people ask for it.
    Booya!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, eJPT, JNCIS-SEC, Adtran(IPBG & IN), Dell Sonicwall CSSA, Dell Sonicwall Email Security, CompTIA Security+, CompTia Network+
    @luger

Minor updates and revisions to the course are free. Major changes (total course revisions) are charged an upgrade fee if students want the new material. This isn't actually that bad, considering it is technically a new course. A lot of vendors will charge you full price or a hefty upgrade fee. You can still take the exam from PTPv3, even if they release the new version.

I emailed them yesterday and got a reply, but it didn't match up with what the forums say. She acknowledged that they have a new version in the works, but according to her it is still some months away.

@Unix

Time is my killer when looking at the OSCP. I don't think I properly dedicate the time currently, where as PTP allows me to go at my pace and not worry about lab time wasting away. Which is completely awesome. What module are you currently on?
    2017 Certification Goals: CISSP [] eCPPT [] OSCP []

Blog: www.networkingfox.net
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member
    For the guys in need of advise of going for PTP v3 and additionally wanting to purchase v4 after it comes out: I would just wait all around together. When eLearnSecurity rolls out with a new course, not only is it heavily discounted for current students, but for the public as well. It's very common that they'll even if you a free upgrade of the course (i.e - you can purchase PTP v4 Professional and receive PTP v4 Elite Bundle). Another reason I recommend waiting is, if you start digging into v3 of the course and feel ready for the eCPPT Gold Examination, what if you get your hands on the v4 material and feel inadequately prepared because the upgrade is a bit more than you thought? I'm not saying the challenge is going to change. I'm saying there shouldn't be a rush to purchase material the authors consider outdated if they've publicly acknowledge they're updating the materials.

The 20% discount they have going right now is great. If you attend release day of PTP v4, not only will they discount it at least 20%, but they're higher than likely going to allow you to upgrade your course to the next highest package for free for the first week or so.
    Last edited by xXxKrisxXx; 05-04-2016 at 11:14 PM. Reason: typos et all
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    I see no problem with purchasing PTPv3, studying it and passing it then going for OSCP. The knowledge is still great even if PTPv4 comes around
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, eJPT, JNCIS-SEC, Adtran(IPBG & IN), Dell Sonicwall CSSA, Dell Sonicwall Email Security, CompTIA Security+, CompTia Network+
    Broke down today and went ahead with PTPv3 Elite. Even if I have to pay to upgrade later, I can still get a good bit of the material covered between now and then.

Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member
    Count me in too on eCPPT. I went ahead and bought the PTPv3 Elite. I do pentesting in my day job but most of the time it is with web applications. I'm looking forward to having some fun on the network side of things. I'm planning on this being a prelude to OSCP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    Let's get studying

I wanna do the labs for the web security section, hopefully by this weekend. Must.stop.slacking.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Currently looking at module 2 in web app... The one thing I can say on the PTP so far versus the PTS - there is alot ​more information.

Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member
    How long are you guys giving yourselves to do the labs? From what I heard, the Ruby and WiFi stuff is not needed for the exam. I might go back to those after the test to shorten the review time. One of my buddies in the industry just jumped into the exam without even studying knowing that with 7 days he could brush up on any topic as needed. Not sure I want to take that route though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I started the Web App first. Maybe I should look at the syllabus. I just went from tab to tab in the PTS course.

Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member
    I think I am going to start with the Network Security first since information gathering seems like a logical place to start. Then I'm going to do System Security to better understand how to exploit the boxes that I discover. Then I'll review the Web App section.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    I started with the webapps first...haven't been studying, major life set backs but I'll snap out of it soon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I started the System module, trying to keep to the syllabus. First time messing with Assembly. It is different.

@Unix - Hope things clear up for you!

Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    Just a bit confused as the slides/videos don't map directly to labs - unlike eJPT -. Skipped labs for the Web Section and now in the network security module. Seems less organised than the eJPT. I will go back to Web Security Labs once I finish Network Security.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    Question: are you guys using Kali 1.1 or Kali 2. ?? I've had issues with Kali 2 so I stayed with Kali 1.x for eJPT...curious what everyone's using for eCPPT?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Member

Certifications
    eJPT, eCPPT
    Quote Originally Posted by UnixGuy View Post
    Question: are you guys using Kali 1.1 or Kali 2. ?? I've had issues with Kali 2 so I stayed with Kali 1.x for eJPT...curious what everyone's using for eCPPT?
    I'm still using Kali 1.1.0a because I'm used to it from eJPT, it's hard enough to work my way through the labs as a beginner/amateur, without worrying about why I can't get some tool or metasploit to work properly because there are so many changes with Kali 2.

I'll probably keep using Kali 1.1.0a for the OSCP as well just because it's what I'm familiar with, I don't think any of the new changes will benefit me or make anything easier in my studies.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Member

Certifications
    eJPT, eCPPT
    I'm just finishing up the Ruby modules and videos now too, they took me super long to get through. I started the Ruby modules on April 20th, I changed up my strategy a little bit. I'm going to finish all the study material and videos first, and then do all the labs back to back before starting the exam, as opposed to doing the labs after each module/chapter. That way the tools and techniques will be fresh in my mind before I need to use them in the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Reticulating splines... iBrokeIT's Avatar

Certifications
    GCIH, GSEC, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5-DCV, MCITP:EA, MCSA 2003/08
    Must... not... buy... more... classes!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Currently using Kali 2. I have no previous experience with Kali or BT, so I don't know the differences.

The only issue I have had so far was with nmap and a few other tools - this ended up being an issue with the setup of my VM. I had it set to NAT behind my computer. Once I had it bridged, those issues cleared up.

In most of the videos they seem to be using BT - but they do mention Kali in the slides.

@ Unix - I agree with you on the point that it is not as organized as eJPT was. I'm guessing that this will be corrected in the next version, which should be out sometime this year.

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISA, eJPT, CompTIA x 6, MCP, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    I just started punching through the Systems Security module this week myself. I'm trying to setup all the programs in the labs on my personal machine and going kind of slow so far. Had a little trouble getting one of them to work. Been setting them up my Windows 10 comp.
    You should do it on Kali, I failed to make it through eJPT on Windows, so I installed Kali on a spare 7 years old PC, it made my life a lot easier.

I am planning to start eWPT soon (paid for it last year), I have been doing some research, I read somewhere that if you can't make Kali work then maybe penetration testing is not for you (I tend to agree with that view).

So I downloaded the latest Kali (2016.1) on the same 8 years old PC, it is slow but it is 100 times better than struggling with a Kali vm.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by chazb0t View Post
    I'm still using Kali 1.1.0a because I'm used to it from eJPT, it's hard enough to work my way through the labs as a beginner/amateur, without worrying about why I can't get some tool or metasploit to work properly because there are so many changes with Kali 2.

There isn't a signifcant different, kali 1 or 2, just different interface to me. U can just have it in another VM....no difference really as the tools are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by chazb0t View Post
    as opposed to doing the labs after each module/chapter.
    I'd be wary of leaving the labs towards the end, I feel that the actual learning happens in the labs, so my strategy would be to finish as much labs as possible, so that I can keep on going through labs until I can finish them without any problem - only then I'll be ready for the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    @NetworkNewb: don't waste your time with Windows, get kali linux on a VM machine, and you will have all the tools ready for you! you're making your life way too hard by install all the tools on Windows! some tools aren't even compatible with Windows
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    As far as when to do the labs, I am trying to do the same as I did with the eJPT. I go through the whole section first, kind of just as a summary. Then I will try the labs once. If I have any trouble with the lab, I will go through the section again but this time in more depth and work through the lab (without looking at solution) to see what I am missing. Then once I go through all the labs, I will go back through each one to make sure I remember what to do and take notes as I go through the lab.

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks