+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Thread: eCPPT journey

1. Member

Certifications
    eJPT, eCPPT
    Quote Originally Posted by UnixGuy View Post
    I'd be wary of leaving the labs towards the end, I feel that the actual learning happens in the labs, so my strategy would be to finish as much labs as possible, so that I can keep on going through labs until I can finish them without any problem - only then I'll be ready for the exam.
    I agree with you here, however I went absolutely nuts doing the eJPT. I managed to do it in 2 weeks at a crazy pace, spending 8 hours a day on top of a full time job.

So the problem now is I'm doing eCPPT at a much more relaxed pace, I did the first few labs months ago, so I'd rather start the labs over from the beginning as a refresher/practice for the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member
    Anyone know how eCPPT compares to OSCP? I passed eJPT a few weeks ago without getting the materials, just the exam. I'm thinking of doing the same for eCPPT whilst I wait on the cooldown period for my OSCP resit.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, eJPT, JNCIS-SEC, Adtran(IPBG & IN), Dell Sonicwall CSSA, Dell Sonicwall Email Security, CompTIA Security+, CompTia Network+
    I have heard mixed comparisons between the two. OSCP is more well known and I think overall is more difficult. eCPPT holds you hand a lot more in the lab (labs provide solutions) - but I think their training material is good.

If I had a little more experience and 90 days to completely dedicate to the course, I would have went for the OSCP. But since I don't, the eCPPT made more sense for me.
    2017 Certification Goals: CISSP [] eCPPT [] OSCP []

Blog: www.networkingfox.net
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sch1sm View Post
    Anyone know how eCPPT compares to OSCP? I passed eJPT a few weeks ago without getting the materials, just the exam. I'm thinking of doing the same for eCPPT whilst I wait on the cooldown period for my OSCP resit.
    Hey Schism,

I've done both. There's some comparison and overlap (it's too much to re-type out). I suggest going through some of my previous posts. If you are an OSCP, you can pass the eCPPT Examination. Obviously I can't get into specifics on either of the examinations but I was given a free voucher for the eCPPT Gold (current version of the exam), being an eCPPT Silver Holder. It was suggested I upgrade my PTP material from v1 to v2 at the time to be able to acquire the skill set to stand a chance at the eCPPT Gold Exam. I took my free voucher and instead of upgrading my course material challenged it and was able to pass. I picked up my OSCP a few months before the eCPPT Silver and had it a couple years before eLearnSecurity revised and made the eCPPT exam a bit more of a challenge.

Sufficeth to say, if you're on a cool down period from failing your OSCP examination - you obviously know what you need to brush up on to pass. The re-take fee is dirt cheap. Go back and pass it, opt-in purchase a voucher for the eCPPT and kick some ass. Don't forget about the OSCP and CRT Pen equivalency OSCP and CRT Equivalency | CREST - Ethical Security Testers
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    @NetworkNewb: don't waste your time with Windows, get kali linux on a VM machine, and you will have all the tools ready for you! you're making your life way too hard by install all the tools on Windows! some tools aren't even compatible with Windows
    Been a busy week but got a Kali VM spun up yesterday and should be finally be starting to get going on the course this week. Started watching the "Penetration Testing with Linux Tools" on CBTNuggets that last couple days while at work as well. Definitely interesting so far.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, eJPT, JNCIS-SEC, Adtran(IPBG & IN), Dell Sonicwall CSSA, Dell Sonicwall Email Security, CompTIA Security+, CompTia Network+
    Looks like they are doing a big announcement tomorrow. I suspect new course or a refresh of the PTP course.

Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member
    Likely version 2 of their Mobile Application Penetration Testing course. They haven't updated this one in years.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    My studies for this is on hold...working on something else (will post a new thread once I actually finish what I'm doing..) then I'll come back to this!

How's everyone progress going?
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Progress is somewhat stalled. Haven't had much time to lab - work has been crazy busy. Not to mention I was foolish enough to cover on-call for someone else, so I have been on call-back back to back rotations. Hopefully I can get back into it and get this course knocked out!

Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    GPEN/GCIH/CEH
    Same, on hold while I work on GREM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Looks like the announcement was for PTPv4.

Reply With Quote Quote  

13. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Yea, https://www.elearnsecurity.com/resou...s/ptpv4-launch

I've been going through the Systems Security section, really slowly the past couple weeks though. Combine nice weather and cabin trips and makes it tough! Hoping to start kicking this courses butt this week though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    I'm gonna sign up for the v4 course at the end of the month. Atleast I'll get to save some money before signing up.
    Booya!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member

Certifications
    eJPT, eCPPT
    My studies for this is on hold...working on something else (will post a new thread once I actually finish what I'm doing..) then I'll come back to this!

How's everyone progress going?
    Finally finished all the slides and videos, going to practice on all the labs today and tomorrow. Looking to start the exam Friday.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Wonder if it is going to a free upgrade to v4... I'm guessing no but will silently hope.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISA, eJPT, CompTIA x 6, MCP, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseboost View Post
    Looks like the announcement was for PTPv4.

Thanks, I registered for the event ..

When eWPT upgrade was released last year I think they gave 20 or 30 % discounts to attendees . I signed up but did not get the time to start the course. hopefully will complete it this year.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    I think that there is a fee for upgrading to the next version.
    Booya!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    Wonder if it is going to a free upgrade to v4... I'm guessing no but will silently hope.
    Based on what I have read on their forums and from members who have gone through the upgrades in this past - a major revision like this won't be a free upgrade. Of course, they may provide the upgrade for free - you never know! I will be attending the webinar, I think in the past they have given some free upgrades out to those who attend.

I originally wanted to hold off on the course until the update was released, but jumped the gun and got it. I will probably be upgrading either way.

Reply With Quote Quote  

20. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Did anyone say how much the upgrade ended up costing them before in the past?

I'm assuming I'll end up purchasing the upgrade as well. They say they are giving out like 1000 prizes, hopefully alot of them are upgrades!
    Last edited by NetworkNewb; 06-01-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    I finished the PTSv3 a week ago and was going to jump into PTPv3 this fall, so I'll do the upgrade if it's reasonable or discounted. Waiting to see if I get picked to facilitate SEC560 in August.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    Did anyone say how much the upgrade ended up costing them before in the past?

I'm assuming I'll end up purchasing the upgrade as well. They say they are giving out like 1000 prizes, hopefully alot of them are upgrades!
    When I upgraded PTPv2 to PTPv3 the discount was 40%, upgrading WAPTv1 to WAPTv2 was 75%.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by m0wgli View Post
    When I upgraded PTPv2 to PTPv3 the discount was 40%, upgrading WAPTv1 to WAPTv2 was 75%.
    ugh, still 60% of the original costs for the newer PTP. Not sure if I would be buying that or not, we'll see. Thanks for the info
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    We will see what the upgrade cost is. I am hoping since they sold a LOT of PTP course during their anniversary sale they will give a steeper discount since that was fairly recent and all of those people have v3.

Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    Hope it's free otherwise i might stick to PTP3 (or not) who knows. Right now I can't touch the eCPPT till I finish what I'm working on
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    bloody webinar is at 3:00 am my local time.....I registered but I obviously can't login at that time...can I still win something ._.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks