+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Thread: eCPPT journey

1. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Quote Originally Posted by UnixGuy View Post
    bloody webinar is at 3:00 am my local time.....I registered but I obviously can't login at that time...can I still win something ._.
    lol that sux, never know could be worth it!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    SilentBreakSecurity - DarkSideOps, CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , C|EH , PA ACE
    Quote Originally Posted by UnixGuy View Post
    Hope it's free

yeah...no....so do us PTPv2 guys get the PTPv4 upgrade free too?

Someone mentioned a 30-40% discount for upgrading v2 to v3, which I honestly never saw when I wanted to upgrade from v2 to v3 last year. That equates to a $300-400 discount on a $1000 course. So to upgrade you will spend $600-700

Does that upgrade include lab time?

Original Purchase v3 (900-1100) + discounted upgrade price of (600-700) = Is this cert worth it to spend all that money and time?

OSCP upgrade policies.
    Upgrade from PWB v.3.0 to PWK USD 200.00
    Upgrade from PWB v.2.0 to PWK USD 300.00
    Upgrade from PWB v.1.0 to PWK USD 400.00
    OSCP – Certification retake USD 60.00
    Last edited by chrisone; 06-02-2016 at 04:26 PM.
    2017 Goals: Dark Side OPS: Custom Pentesting (complete), eCPPT (in progress), LFCS (in progress), OSCP (Ah next year...)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    eJPT, eCPPT
    Started the exam 30 minutes ago, here we go!

Not waiting for PTPv4... I didn't spend the last 6 months working on this cert to only delay it further.

Luckily I have a whole week to work on the exam, it should be more than enough time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Best of luck chasb0t!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCSE NT 4.0, CCNA, MCSE Win2k, CISSP, GCIH, CCSK, GPEN
    A year later, how did this turn out for everybody? Did it turn out to be the right path? Any updates?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    eJPT, eCPPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornswoggler View Post
    A year later, how did this turn out for everybody? Did it turn out to be the right path? Any updates?
    A lot of **** happened since I last posted in here. I failed my eCPPT first attempt in July 2016, I tore my left carotid artery the week after, possibly while working out. I had a low-grade headache like 1/10 pain that just wouldn't go away for a few days, and then suddenly one morning my right arm went numb so I called 911.

I had to spend a week in the Neuro-ICU on stroke-watch because I had a 4 inch blood clot/blockage and have a 4.5 hour surgery while I was awake to put 3 stents in my head and neck. $350k in parts and labor later (thankfully due to Obamacare I only owe $12k out of pocket) I'm fine now just have to take a baby aspirin every morning for the rest of my life.

Passed eCPPT second attempt earlier this year after upgrading to PTPv4 (the buffer overflow and assembly labs are so much better than v3), I signed up for 90 days of OSCP. I have 18 days left in OSCP labs, scheduled my exam for Wed Aug 2nd @ 11am.

I kind of want to buy more lab time even if I pass my first attempt, the OSCP labs are so addicting you get hooked on the challenge, and want to get all the boxes.

Then it's:

Step 1: Apply for pentesting/red team jobs
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Profit?
    Last edited by chazb0t; 07-11-2017 at 06:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISA, eJPT, CompTIA x 6, MCP, MCTS
    I started

then stopped

then switched to eWPT because my lab time was going to expire.

then renewed my eWPT lab for 2 more years.

then switched back to eCPPT because I only have one year left for my lab time.

and right now I am doing this on Cybrary, surprisingly I finished more than 50% in one week, so there is hope that I will go back to eCPPT and finish it this time.

https://www.cybrary.it/course/ethical-hacking/

So Basically, no real progress for me.

As a note, I think using Kali as my main OS helped getting me in the mood to study.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    I started

then stopped

then switched to eWPT because my lab time was going to expire.

then renewed my eWPT lab for 2 more years.

then switched back to eCPPT because I only have one year left for my lab time.

and right now I am doing this on Cybrary, surprisingly I finished more than 50% in one week, so there is hope that I will go back to eCPPT and finish it this time.

https://www.cybrary.it/course/ethical-hacking/

So Basically, no real progress for me.

As a note, I think using Kali as my main OS helped getting me in the mood to study.
    can i know what the thing make you changes the course ? is because of the topic or ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    Quote Originally Posted by chazb0t View Post
    A lot of **** happened since I last posted in here. I failed my eCPPT first attempt in July 2016, I tore my left carotid artery the week after, possibly while working out. I had a low-grade headache like 1/10 pain that just wouldn't go away for a few days, and then suddenly one morning my right arm went numb so I called 911.

I had to spend a week in the Neuro-ICU on stroke-watch because I had a 4 inch blood clot/blockage and have a 4.5 hour surgery while I was awake to put 3 stents in my head and neck. $350k in parts and labor later (thankfully due to Obamacare I only owe $12k out of pocket) I'm fine now just have to take a baby aspirin every morning for the rest of my life.

Passed eCPPT second attempt earlier this year after upgrading to PTPv4 (the buffer overflow and assembly labs are so much better than v3), I signed up for 90 days of OSCP. I have 18 days left in OSCP labs, scheduled my exam for Wed Aug 2nd @ 11am.

I kind of want to buy more lab time even if I pass my first attempt, the OSCP labs are so addicting you get hooked on the challenge, and want to get all the boxes.

Then it's:

Step 1: Apply for pentesting/red team jobs
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Profit?
    WOW!!! I'm glad that everything worked out for the best! I had to look up what the artery was and WOW! How do you think you messed it up while working out? I swear, when I work out... I'm worried about breaking something.

I'm glad that you were able to bounce back and pass the test.

BO is difficult for me and I really want to skip it and study everything else but I have a feeling that I'll need it for the test and the OSCP.
    Booya!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISA, eJPT, CompTIA x 6, MCP, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by vynx View Post
    can i know what the thing make you changes the course ? is because of the topic or ?
    Basically my job have nothing to do with pen-testing or IT Security, so I am finding it difficult to focus on either of the courses for a long period of time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Member
    is there any whatsapp group / telegram group for eCPPT discussion ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    eJPT, eCPPT
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesleecoleman View Post
    WOW!!! I'm glad that everything worked out for the best! I had to look up what the artery was and WOW! How do you think you messed it up while working out? I swear, when I work out... I'm worried about breaking something.

I'm glad that you were able to bounce back and pass the test.

BO is difficult for me and I really want to skip it and study everything else but I have a feeling that I'll need it for the test and the OSCP.
    Thanks, and definitely don't skip Buffer Overflows, that was why I failed my first eCPPT exam attempt. I wasn't prepared enough and got stuck on the Buffer Overflow machine and spent my remaining time trying to get it.

But upgrading from v3 to v4 and practicing the Buffer Overflow labs and examples was what I needed to pass the second attempt. If I didn't overlook it I would have passed the first time no problem.

It's important in OSCP as well, there are labs machines that are vulnerable to it, and what I've read online from blogs is 1 of the 5 exam machines you need to modify a proof of concept buffer overflow to exploit the machine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskNetsec/c...p_how_similar/

"be sure to do the Buffer Overflow until you can explain it to your grandmother."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCSE NT 4.0, CCNA, MCSE Win2k, CISSP, GCIH, CCSK, GPEN
    A lot of **** happened since I last posted in here.
    Yikes! Glad things are better!! That's some crazy stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    Thanks, and definitely don't skip Buffer Overflows, that was why I failed my first eCPPT exam attempt. I wasn't prepared enough and got stuck on the Buffer Overflow machine and spent my remaining time trying to get it.

But upgrading from v3 to v4 and practicing the Buffer Overflow labs and examples was what I needed to pass the second attempt. If I didn't overlook it I would have passed the first time no problem.

It's important in OSCP as well, there are labs machines that are vulnerable to it, and what I've read online from blogs is 1 of the 5 exam machines you need to modify a proof of concept buffer overflow to exploit the machine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskNetsec/c...p_how_similar/

"be sure to do the Buffer Overflow until you can explain it to your grandmother."
    I get the technical stuff for the most part but the hands on is different. Did you use any outside sources for BO? I'm just not getting what to do and ELS isn't the best with explaining it. It's not helpful when I don't have a few files or when stuff doesn't work the way they showed. I don't mind research but I just want to make sure I learn what I need to learn and if I need to do things a certain way, I can from the stuff I learned.
    Booya!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. There is no spoon. p@r0tuXus's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCNA
    I'm just not getting what to do and ELS isn't the best with explaining it.
    James, I loved Hausec's write-up of the Trollv2 Vulnhub box in which he explains buffer-overflows pretty well. I suggest a read, if you haven't seen it:

https://hausec.com/vulnhub-write-ups/*****-2/

Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member

Certifications
    eJPT, eCPPT
    I get the technical stuff for the most part but the hands on is different. Did you use any outside sources for BO? I'm just not getting what to do and ELS isn't the best with explaining it. It's not helpful when I don't have a few files or when stuff doesn't work the way they showed. I don't mind research but I just want to make sure I learn what I need to learn and if I need to do things a certain way, I can from the stuff I learned.
    I didn't use any outside sources but there are lots out there:

Simple Buffer Overflows
    https://www.corelan.be/index.php/200...sed-overflows/
    Stack Based Buffer Overflow Tutorial, part 1 - Introduction
    0x0 Exploit Tutorial: Buffer Overflow – Vanilla EIP Overwrite
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hacking/com...ffer_overflow/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170617...dirish.net/142
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Social Networking & Bookmarks