+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
  1. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunk318 View Post
    Glad to hear that you passed. I am taking the exam in about a week, and would like to find out what the recent changes are. I would appreciate if you can share your outline as well.
    No problem. Can you send me a PM? Either I'm having issues with the site or I don't have sufficient privileges to view your profile and PM you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hello Schiphol!
    I've been reading the threads here, as I'm taking the test on Wednesday, and I had no idea they've updated the test. Would you mind sharing your outline with me as well (now that I'm fairly certain I'm going to fail after reading all these comments)? I would be very grateful!
    If you don't mind - I just registered so I don't think I can PM you - can you PM me? THANK YOU!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member
    Cherie246 and sunk318, I can't PM either. Shoot me an email at TechExamThrowaway2017[at]gmail[dot]com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member
    I just took and passed the CIPP/US exam. Looking to take the CIPM and CIPT exams soon. Any good outlines out there for those exams? Practice tests? Trying to avoid paying for another book, although I realize that it's pretty much mandatory if you want to pass the CIPP/US exam (and assume it's the same for the others).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdataprivacyatty View Post
    I just took and passed the CIPP/US exam. Looking to take the CIPM and CIPT exams soon. Any good outlines out there for those exams? Practice tests? Trying to avoid paying for another book, although I realize that it's pretty much mandatory if you want to pass the CIPP/US exam (and assume it's the same for the others).
    Maybe take a look at the IAPP website to see what the similarities, if any, are. If there is any overlap of applicable privacy laws that may be half the battle. IAPP also has practice tests for about $25 so you get a feel for what's on the CIPM or CIPT exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member
    Schiphol - I just sent you an email to that address as well. Thank you!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hello, can you please share the outline with me as well? I'm unable to PM you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member

Default updated info for exam

If someone integrated the updates for the CIPP/US exam into an outline, I would be grateful for a copy.
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member Registered Member
    I just took the CIPP/US last Friday and passed. It was definitely harder than alot of the tests I've taken (on par with the bar exam or even harder!)

I would like to share the outline that schiphol if he doesn't mind sharing. But I would need to hear from him first.

Truth to be told, the outline won't do you any good unless you actually understand the statutes and concepts. It acts more like a refresher.

I relied heavily on the IAPP textbook (read it three times), and did a lot of practice exams on CIPP Guide website (need to pay for subscription). Honestly, the practice exams didn't help much as it forces you to memorize details that author wants you to know -- a lot of which wasn't on the actual exam.

I did not have clear answers for half of the exam but I used elimination method to get to the best answer. I think I was able to pass only because I read the dry textbook three times and tried to understand the concepts and the laws.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    CISSP plus a handful of others

I relied heavily on the IAPP textbook (read it three times), and did a lot of practice exams on CIPP Guide website (need to pay for subscription). Honestly, the practice exams didn't help much as it forces you to memorize details that author wants you to know -- a lot of which wasn't on the actual exam.
    Was the CIPP Guide site worth it? What is the format of the material on the site?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member
    I just took the CIPP/US last Friday and passed. It was definitely harder than alot of the tests I've taken (on par with the bar exam or even harder!)

I would like to share the outline that schiphol if he doesn't mind sharing. But I would need to hear from him first.

Truth to be told, the outline won't do you any good unless you actually understand the statutes and concepts. It acts more like a refresher.

I did not have clear answers for half of the exam but I used elimination method to get to the best answer. I think I was able to pass only because I read the dry textbook three times and tried to understand the concepts and the laws.
    Congratulations! Feel free to share. I already put myself out of a job by giving away the product
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member
    Does anyone know if the only difference between CIPP/US and CIPP/E (or others) is the one area?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schiphol View Post
    No problem. Can you send me a PM? Either I'm having issues with the site or I don't have sufficient privileges to view your profile and PM you.
    I'm debating which exam to take CIPP/US or CIPP/E anyone taken both?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member
    I've only taken CIPP/US. I don't have a need for the any of the others at this time. A coworker took the CIPT and passed it just fine, but thta was geared toward tech folks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunto View Post
    Does anyone know if the only difference between CIPP/US and CIPP/E (or others) is the one area?
    I'm not sure which is the area to which you're referring. The CIPP/US covers US privacy law, and the CIPP/E covers European data protection law. (I wouldn't expect that knowing that the GDPR is regulation 2016/679/EU won't help you on the CIPP/US exam, for example.)

You can find the CIPP/US body of knowledge at https://iapp.org/media/pdf/certifica...r%208.1.17.pdf.

The CIPP/E body of knowledge is available at https://iapp.org/media/pdf/certifica..._BoK_1.2.0.pdf.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member Registered Member
    I expect I'll eventually take both. I took the CIPP/E first because it was on sale--only $100 (if you took it in French or German). If I ended up passing, I'll look to take the CIPP/US in January 2018. If I didn't, I'll need to go again on it (in English, this time) and then take the CIPP/US later.

With the extra-territorial aspects of the GDPR (which goes live on May 25 of 201, I think the CIPP/E will be pretty hot for at least a year or two as companies, especially in the US, look to get compliant.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Bachelors of Science in IT, MTA, SEC+, CSA+, CASP, CSAE, C|EH, OSCP
    So debate topic here, is privacy not a part of infosec? It could easily be said that confidentiality IS privacy. I know where I work there is no need for a specific privacy person because all of the laws and regulations that apply are built in to compliance here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hello, I will be taking the CIPP/US exam in January. I would appreciate the outline as well. I just sent an email.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hello na56,

I am trying to break into the privacy sector. I am a lawyer and took information privacy and data protection courses while in law school. I will be sitting for the cipp/us exam in January. I have been looking for jobs online but most roles want people with 5 years' experience. I would like to know how you were able to get your first privacy role.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Member

Certifications
    CISSP plus a handful of others
    Quote Originally Posted by McxRisley View Post
    So debate topic here, is privacy not a part of infosec? It could easily be said that confidentiality IS privacy. I know where I work there is no need for a specific privacy person because all of the laws and regulations that apply are built in to compliance here.
    I would agree that Privacy is a component of Information Security. At a small company, I would assume that the InfoSec team/professionals would manage privacy by either managing 1) Policies 2) awareness training 3) creating and conducting impact assessments.

At large companies, usually there is a privacy office that manages this stuff which may be lead by the legal team. It is still something that InfoSec has to consider during their work.

Quote Originally Posted by lizette1121622 View Post
    Hello na56,

I am trying to break into the privacy sector. I am a lawyer and took information privacy and data protection courses while in law school. I will be sitting for the cipp/us exam in January. I have been looking for jobs online but most roles want people with 5 years' experience. I would like to know how you were able to get your first privacy role.
    Job descriptions are usually a wish list by the company. If you are otherwise a good fit I would still apply. Unfortunately, if you have no experience, it may hard to get a job that is seeking someone with that level of experience.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hi there

Thanks all for your helpful contributions in this thread. I'd be super grateful for a copy of the outline that's going around if possible - I'm studying as we speak!

Thanks again
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member Registered Member
    Sorry to be a pest, but would appreciate the outline as well because IAPP has taken the notes on the August 2017 exam update.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Outline Request

I just sent you a note at the TechExamThrowaway2017 e-mail address, as well, as it seems I'm still (after multiple requests to the administrators...) unable to send private messages here. Thank you!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Junior Member Registered Member
    Would also totally appreciate the outline (or any other info people have compiled for this test - outlines, charts, etc). It would be a huge help!

Right now I've come to terms with the idea that I'd buy the hopelessly outdated official text and hope for the best.

Also, if anyone would like to form a study e-mail thread, please let me know.

My e-mail is no1ustad1 at gmail.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member Registered Member
    Anyone tried recently to join cippguide.org? They took my money, but provided no access to premium materials.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks