+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Certifications
    Bachelors of Science in IT, MTA, SEC+, CSA+, CASP, C|EH, OSCP
    I just updated it for you to contain some DQ details.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    CISSP, OSCP, GXPN, CSXP, CEHv7, CCNA, CCNA Security, GCED, CCSK, Net+, Sec+, Project+
    Quote Originally Posted by McxRisley View Post

So what's next for me? Well im currently going to hone my scripting skills in python while searching for my next pen testing cert. I'm currently considering either the GPEN or GXPN, so if you have any input on these courses and their value compared to OSCP I would greatly appreciate it.
    The GPEN/GWAPT will be a waste of time and offer very limited additional information that you haven't already taught yourself in the OSCP. From here on out, you'd only be looking at 600-700 level Pen Test courses from SANS. Anything in the 500 series/below will feel level to you. You would learn more advanced concepts in the GXPN/OSCE, but these courses are geared more towards exploit researcher/developer than penetration testing. I'd still say they're worthwhile, however.

Looking at the certs in your profile, I'd actually suggest looking at the CCNA or equivalent. Some of the best pen testers I know have really good network skills and you will be limiting yourself without them. You may also want to consider holding on your next decision until you land a pen test gig(assuming you haven't yet). You can assess your skillset once you have a job in the field to make a better decision on what certs or skills you need to improve. A good question to ask during the interview process is if there is a gap or skill that their team wishes they had, or are looking to address. You can dive into that area and make an immediate impact.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: R&S, eJPT, JNCIS-SEC, Adtran(IPBG & IN), Dell Sonicwall CSSA, Dell Sonicwall Email Security, CompTIA Security+, CompTia Network+
    Congrats on the official pass! Great write up too!
    2017 Certification Goals: CISSP [] eCPPT [] OSCP []

Blog: www.networkingfox.net
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, C|EH, CPT, S+, A+, P+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, VCP6-DCV, GPEN, OSCP
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodbye View Post
    Looking at the certs in your profile, I'd actually suggest looking at the CCNA or equivalent. Some of the best pen testers I know have really good network skills and you will be limiting yourself without them.
    I'd have to second this statement.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, PMP, CCNP, FITSP-M
    I've never known a great pentester that wasn't at least a good network nerd. If you don't have at least CCNA level knowledge, you're limiting yourself.
    2017: CCNP (done), FITSI-M (done) CCIE Written
    2018: CCIE R/S
    2019: VCP (DCV/NV), OSCP
    2020-1: MBA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I may end up getting a Cisco cert or two eventually, but I can assure you that my networking knowledge is not lacking
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, ACMT(Apple), Security+, ACE (Palo Alto), PPT (pen testing cert).
    McxRisley, As creepy as this may sound.. I got a little teary eyed reading your review, because I feel like we followed you all the way through your blood, sweat, tears and frustration. Thank you Thank you Thank you! so much for give us the drive and light to fuel this fire! Congratulations sir! you deserve every bit of that certification.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    CISSP, VCP-DCV, VCP-Cloud, CCNA Security
    Got approval for the OSCP. After I sit for the CISA in May I'll be signing up! Congrats on your pass!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member
    Congrats.
    This was a fun read!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    So early on in this post I had mentioned a Red Team position that I was trying to get and I wanted to give an update on my current job situation. The Red Team position didn't end up working out for me and I'm a bit sour about it. When I had initially talked to the company they said that I was too jounior but if I passed the OSCP they would talk to me. Well I passed the OSCP and contacted them again only to be told that they had filled a number of junior positions and that they were only looking for more senior people now. They wouldn't even interview me like they said they would and I also find it hard to believe that they filled 10 junior positions in 2 months, but whatever none of that matters because I was able to get an even better offer from another company which I accepted yesterday morning. After months of hard work and persistence I have finally reached my ultimate goal that I set when I started this journey, to become a professional Penetration Tester. [Insert sappy sentence about how dreams really do come true here lol] Anyways this will be my last update on this post, thanks again to everyone who helped me and supported me through this journey.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member
    Congrats McxRisley!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    Congrats McxRisley! Isn't that the absolute best? Getting knocked down by your current company and then getting an even better opportunity from another and leaving them. Same thing happened to me when I worked at BoA. Kept getting the shaft for years when they would just fill the positions externally so I knocked out my CISSP and got a much better position and 40% pay raise at their biggest competitor.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. There is no spoon. p@r0tuXus's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCNA
    Man, this is so invigorating. Thanks for that update. I hope to have one of these posts myself in the not-too-distant future. Congratulations!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCSE NT 4.0, CCNA, MCSE Win2k, CISSP, GCIH, CCSK, GPEN
    Hard work pays off!! Congrats and thanks for the inspiration!
    Current course: Started PWK on 8/12/2017
    2018: Linux+, eWPT/GWAPT
    Reply With Quote Quote  

This was quite the journey to ready! Congratulations!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Social Networking & Bookmarks