+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6

    Certifications
    CPTE, A+, Network+, Security+
    #1

    Default A continuing OCSP journey.....

    Hi Everyone,

    Working full time my path down OSCP has been long and slow lol. I started about 11 months ago and now have 21 host fully rooted. Although I am definitely no guru, I am happy to share any knowledge that may help people.

    I look forward to getting to know you all better.
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Interwebs
    Posts
    154

    Certifications
    PMP, CISSP, CISA
    #2
    I enjoy your username play on words It might be beneficial to jumpstart this discussion with some introduction about yourself, your journey toward OSCP (previous work experience, certifications, study materials, etc.).

    Welcome to TE!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1
    #3
    Hi R3wted,

    I am planning to do OSCP certification. I would like to know what are the basics I need to brush up before starting the labs. My background is I am a Automation Test Analyst have Masters in Security Technologies, so I have little bit idea about security and programming.

    Any pointers will be helpful.

    Cheers
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6

    Certifications
    CPTE, A+, Network+, Security+
    #4
    Hi Soccarplayer

    Thanks for the welcome. I am currently working as a systems administrator at a hospital. I decided I wanted to specialize and chose OSCP on the basis it was a hands on the course and the certification was highly regarded in the industry.The challenge for me doing this course was it was completely new for someone who is completely self taught Fortunately I have made friends who are doing the same course. One has given me numerous URL's to use and well as recommending vulnhub for extra practice
    My Main Study books would be RTFM, Web Application Hackers Handbook, Hackers Playbook2

    The 21 Hosts hosts I have rooted so far are ALICE,RALPH,PAYDAY,BOB,BOB2,JD,DJ,ORACLE,DOTTY,JEF F,BARRY,MIKE, TOPHAT,KRACKEN,SUSIE,HELPDESK,SEAN,MAIL,TIMECLOCK, KEVIN,.234

    Some machines have been real tricky which makes owning then all the bigger buzz
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6

    Certifications
    CPTE, A+, Network+, Security+
    #5
    Hi mysticag

    Firstly good on you for planning to to do OSCP. I would recommend having a play around vulnhub. I didn't know about it until I started the course . I great prep tool I would say
    Read as many reviews as yo can. It gave me an idea of what to expect. Knowing a bit of programing is a help and also a good understanding of linux. All these thing I have had to learn on the way.

    The course is very rewarding however
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. There is no spoon. p@r0tuXus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    519

    Certifications
    ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCNA
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by R3wted View Post
    numerous URL's to use
    Congrats on your challenge and good luck. I hope to do this by next year. Care to share these URLs?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6

    Certifications
    CPTE, A+, Network+, Security+
    #7
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. There is no spoon. p@r0tuXus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    519

    Certifications
    ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCNA
    #8
    That was fantastic and exactly what I hoped for, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6

    Certifications
    CPTE, A+, Network+, Security+
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by p@r0tuXus View Post
    That was fantastic and exactly what I hoped for, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
    You're welcome p@r0tuXus. When are you looking at doing yours? Happy to give nudges where I can
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. There is no spoon. p@r0tuXus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    519

    Certifications
    ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCNA
    #11
    By year's end, I hope to submit my application/paperwork. Ideally I'd like to start with a 90-day lab access by October 1st. I'm working on L+/LPIC-1 right now and plan to get the CEH and eJPT before I start the OSCP. I think they'll all give me the footing I need to approach it confidently and by the end of the exam I should have a solid cert list I can apply to a world-wide company HQ'd where I'm at. If I get hired there, they'll probably pay for it, so then I could start sooner. If money matters work out by June 1st, I'd like to start CEH, otherwise I"ll have to do it sometime in September. I have solid goals, just flexible timelines because of money. :/ Ah well, it'll happen!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Clm
    Clm is offline
    Student Of The Cloud Clm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    301

    Certifications
    CISSP | ITIL |AWS-CCP|CompTIA A+ | LINUX+ | LPIC-1 |
    #12
    Question since you have been going at it for 11 months are you just buying more labtime or did you use your labtime up and waiting to test when ready
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    96
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by p@r0tuXus View Post
    By year's end, I hope to submit my application/paperwork. Ideally I'd like to start with a 90-day lab access by October 1st. I'm working on L+/LPIC-1 right now and plan to get the CEH and eJPT before I start the OSCP. I think they'll all give me the footing I need to approach it confidently and by the end of the exam I should have a solid cert list I can apply to a world-wide company HQ'd where I'm at. If I get hired there, they'll probably pay for it, so then I could start sooner. If money matters work out by June 1st, I'd like to start CEH, otherwise I"ll have to do it sometime in September. I have solid goals, just flexible timelines because of money. :/ Ah well, it'll happen!
    Im also doing the same as far as Linux Plus goes.
    But i decided against the CEH.
    Its really expensive for what you get.
    Ive heard the ejpt would be better spent because of its practicality and direct preparation for the OSCP.
    But what it boils down to is cost. For about 300 more US bucks, you can get 30 days for the OSCP, which I felt was much more valuable.
    If it was cheaper, by about 300 bucks...being an HR filter as it is, id consider the CEH.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. There is no spoon. p@r0tuXus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    519

    Certifications
    ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCNA
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fluxx View Post
    Im also doing the same as far as Linux Plus goes.
    But i decided against the CEH.
    Its really expensive for what you get.
    Ive heard the ejpt would be better spent because of its practicality and direct preparation for the OSCP.
    But what it boils down to is cost. For about 300 more US bucks, you can get 30 days for the OSCP, which I felt was much more valuable.
    If it was cheaper, by about 300 bucks...being an HR filter as it is, id consider the CEH.
    I completely understand. I need all the HR filter buffs I can get, I don't have a B.S. or even an A.S. I have a lot of experience in IT, most of it along the lower wrungs though, Helpdesk, NOC, Tech Support type stuff. I had some network hands-on experience with the NOC but not enough to justify calling myself an engineer. With more labbing and certifications, I'm hoping to lay groundwork for the certs and with enough I should be able to breeze through a B.S. at WGU in a year or two. I think a CEH, OSCP & CISSP in 2 years is doable and will get me more money in the short-term to make the B.S. attainable within that time as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    96
    #15
    I see. Im on the fence on the CISSP...its seeming to be saturated, especially in the govt sector.
    Id look into it after getting the OSCP and quite possibly the OSWA.
    Cuz web apps and securing them with pen testing is also becoming huge.
    I also don't want to burn myself out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    217
    #16
    hey if you like, join a discord group chat we have https://discord.gg/AQwaeGf almost everyone is either working on OSCP or waiting for the start date. come
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks