+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CEH | SSCP | VCP6 | VCP-NV | VCP-Cloud | VCP6-NV | VCP5-DCV | VCP4 | MCTS | MCP

Default OSCP - aka: Running head first into a brick wall - a journey

I will be starting my OSCP journey in mid October.

I am very excited as this has been a goal of mine for many years now. I have been following the offsec guys for a long time as I have used Kali quite a bit! I remember when Kali was sort of an obscure distro ....

To add to the pressure: I am also actively enrolled in the Cisco CyberOps course in cohort 4 ..... You know because I love running head first into a brick wall ...

I plan on posting my progress, resources, and frustration here. I know there are quite a few people that follow these threads to help them prepare. I did a CEH post as well, and I like that I can help people even if in a small way. - although I am enrolled in both the Cisco course and the OSCP, this thread will be focused on OSCP.

Some background:
    I have quite a few years in "IT" (10+) in many areas. Currently I am the equivalent of a solutions architect. Security is not new to me, however it is not my primary job role. I really started cramming it in when I took my CEH last year, but I am a bit rusty ... Time to shake that rust off.

I am self taught in most everything I know as I did not go to school. I learn best by jumping in ... I don't scare away easily

Motivation:
    This is mostly a personal goal as I don't have a strong desire to jump into a strict red team role right away. This to me is one of the crowning achievements in my certification path. Even though I am not going to immediately shift to pentesting, my current position will benefit greatly from the knowledge I'll gain which is why they are sponsoring me. Many of our customers rely on us for security recommendations

Personal Challenges:
    Even though my employer is sponsoring me, this in no way makes the my day job any easier or time consuming. So I will be cramming this in along with my day job, with the Cisco Cyber course, family time (I have children). 2 up coming vacations, and just general life stuff. I am confident I can do it. And I want to do it to prove it to those on here that it can be done even with a busy schedule.

Stay tuned for updates. I plan on posting some "prep" material
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    My start date is 14 OCT! Stay Tuned
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Good luck. I'll be following.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I got through all of the registration process yesterday.

This weekend, I am spending some time doing some light reading, and follow up on a lot of the materials i used when going through my CEH prep.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    The clock is ticking until my start date. I have been using this time to do a few things:
    1. Continue working on my Cisco CCNA studies
    2. Brush up on notes and books used for the CEH
    3. Begin building my own system of building a "database" of resources for quick finding
    4. Talking to other students on the IRC #offsec channel
    Last edited by BuzzSaw; 10-03-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks