Thank you!

My Aims
    2017: CEH, CHFI, MCSA
    2018: GPEN, CISSP
    2019: New Job!!!

Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member
    END OF WEEK 8 - UPDATE

Well this week was a bit of a write off initially as I was away for 4 nights for a family funeral and got back Friday.

Saturday + Sunday I really really struggled to concentrate and was distracted by a personal project of mine involving building a server. Stupid really, and I knew I was wasting time and not doing what I should but I was struggling for motivation.

I think I need to take a day off work with the mindset that it's a day of OSCP work rather than ANOTHER one of my weekends spend in front of the computer. Part of the reason it's exhausting is, that 40 hours a week I work staring at 3 computer screens and then on a weekend I spend about 8 hours each day staring at more computer screens and sat in my spare room. It's starting to take its toll to be honest.

Saturday I did get a partial shell on Bethany which was quite simple and didn't take too long. I've not managed to escalate this. It's a Windows computer and I'm really struggling to identify privilege escalation with these - I'm using the fuzzy security guide to help but honestly, I'm just going through the motions without really any direction with it.

I got a full root of Tophat which wasn't too difficult.

Still way off the pace and I've only really got a month left of this 90 day period. As I said previously, I will extend my time by another 3 months. I definitely do want to get around 30 machines rooted before considering the exam.

Rooted (: Alice, Alpha, Barry, Bob, Mike, Pheonix, Sherlock, Tophat + (Low priv Shell on Bethany and Pain)
    My Aims

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Security +, MCSA/MCSE, MCTS, CNA

Default Fuzzing

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCop123 View Post
    END OF WEEK 8 - UPDATE

I'm using the fuzzy security guide to help but honestly, I'm just going through the motions without really any direction with it.
    Is the fuzzy guide from the OSCP material or another resource?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member
    Nope, it's just an online resource:

FuzzySecurity | Windows Privilege Escalation Fundamentals

That's a well known site and also the common guide people use for Windows Privilege Escalation
    My Aims

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CEH | SSCP | VCP6 | VCP-NV | VCP-Cloud | VCP6-NV | VCP5-DCV | VCP4 | MCTS | MCP
    I know first hand how exhausting it can be!

I have a full time job, family, etc ... and OSCP is really sucking up a lot of my spare time. I think the trick is to be efficient with your time so that you don't feel like your WASTING your time if that makes sense. Just set goals, and work towards them. It's a lot easier this way.

I take heart in the fact that it's temporary, and one day will end.

You are making pretty good progress. I'm on my second week of the labs over here and have 7. Our lists are pretty similar:

BOB (1 and 2)
    ALICE
    JD
    MASTER
    KRAKEN
    BARRY
    Last edited by BuzzSaw; 11-06-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    LFCS, GCIH, eJPT, CCNA, CAPM, Sec+, Net+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCop123 View Post
    Oh and I'm pretty sure I hate Keepnote. I'm actually a bit mystified why so many use and recommend it.
    I don't understand this either. Development of KeepNote has basically been abandoned since 2012. I prefer Zim Desktop Wiki. Same basic functionality.
    Zim - a desktop wiki or simply
    # apt install zim
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Lotus notes is where its at! come on!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member
    WEEK 9 - UPDATE

After a terrible few weeks - some of which was out of my control, but also partly because I was just really struggling for energy and motivation I made a massive effort yesterday and today.

Got home from work yesterday about 4pm and worked through till around 2am. Today I have worked from 9am to 3pm and I will carry on until this evening.

I managed to root RALPH, MAIL and ORACLE

I used Metasploit for the first time as an exploitation tool and got root with Oracle. Apparently there is a Python Script, I have this but so far it's not worked. I think it's just because the machine needs reverted. I will re-visit this but I don't want to waste reverts at this time as I only have 4 left for the day and I plan on working for a few hours more.

Machines in progress

Bethany - still only limited shell - not tried anything new on this
    Pain - same as above
    Joe
    JD
    Payday
    Gamma

I'm finding myself avoiding the harder machines like Pain, Gamma, Sufference, Humble but I know at some point I will have to properly try to break them. On that basis I'm going to go and have another go at PAIN for a few hours and see if I can escalate my privileges.

Rooted (11): Alice, Alpha, Barry, Bob, Mail, Mike, Oracle, Pheonix, Ralph, Sherlock, Tophat + (Low priv Shell on Bethany and Pain)
    My Aims

Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member
    Manged to get root earlier on PAIN

I saw a hint on the forum which assisted in confirming I was on the right lines so I feel a bit less happy but still pleased it's done.

It really really was not difficult and I learned a massive lesson - read the code.... I've been told it loads and ignored it. But I saw tonight why that is important.

Plan for tomorrow is to look at pivoting and I may try playing about with trying to access other internal networks.

Im also 12 hosts down and haven't written any into a report or taken screenshots. I have notes though. I don't mind re doing them - I feel that will just be more learning and will tidy up my personal notes that I keep on GitHub.

Ive been hacking away at JOE all night and still no closer. May try again tomorrow or move on.
    My Aims

Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Member
    WEEK 9 - END OF WEEK UPDATE

Managed to root two more machines today JD and PAYDAY. Payday was quite simple. I stupidly wasted about 2 hours on this despite finding the vulnerability within about 5 minutes.

Also started my lab report today. I think it's a great idea to start this early - the reason being, is that it makes you realise why notes are important. I knew my notes were poor, but honestly, I spent about 40 minutes trying to re-hack RALPH (which I'd done yesterday).

Lesson learned, make sure that the moment you make some breakthrough, write down a bullet point list of the commands you did and how you did it.

I've so far written up two machines. I will try to write up PAYDAY now so I've got 3 machines done. Once you start the report it's quite easy. My thoughts are:

1) Include one page showing IP, hostname, vulnerability you found, what that means, and how bad it is
    2) Show one screenshot (unless you REALLY need more) showing a port scan
    3) Show how this led to you finding vulnerability
    4) Screenshot of you uploading something (as an example)
    etc...

I've hit a brick wall with GAMMA and with JOE. But will possibly try again tonight if I feel up to it. I think I may stop for this evening. In the last 48 hours I think I've rooted 7 machines so I need a break

Low Privileged Shells (1): Bethany

Rooted (14): Alice, Alpha, Barry, Bob, JD, Mail, Mike, Oracle, Pain, Payday, Pheonix, Ralph, Sherlock, Tophat
    Last edited by CyberCop123; 11-13-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    My Aims

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCSE NT 4.0, CCNA, MCSE Win2k, CISSP, GCIH, CCSK, GPEN, OSCP
    Great progress!! Keep up the good work!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzSaw View Post
    Lotus notes is where its at! come on!
    I use "OneNote"

works good for me
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member
    Oh and on the subject of note taking, I've recently started using GitHub for writing up guides on certain areas and I've found it to be absolutely perfect for my needs.

Formatting is so quick, easy and clean.

I've organised things into certain areas:

smb.md
    payloads.md
    file_transfers.md

All nicely typed up and ready for copying/pasting

So I'm kind of re-writing all my notes into this format so they're remotely accessibly anywhere, in a nice easy format, and will be there for years to come to refer to.
    My Aims

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Nice work man. Looks like you've jumped a head of a bit on the hit list

I think you and I are learning very similar lessons. Ralph in particular was a turd to me. Also, DJ as well .. So let me know what you find when you get to that point - PM me! I wont give it away obviously, but I can help in the typical OSCP fashion hah

Oh and for what it's worth, my thought process on the report and note taking:

1. I have note taking in one note that is more around the actual learning process
    - This include useful tools, syntax, etc ..
    2. I have note taking on the Kali box that I use strictly for lab reporting

I am trying to write each machine in a way that someone with lesser knowledge could replicate my take down of the box by (mostly) following my screen shots. This is probably overkill, but if I were actually being paid to do this, I would think a customer would like that level of detail and may help them in understand mitigation steps. And honestly, it only takes a couple more minutes as screenshots pretty much tell the story

I also have the screenshot utility in kali auto save all of my screenshots which then get backed up to my local host (And then into the cloud) I'm super paranoid about losing work hah

BTW: good job on pain man ... I haven't event started on the big tough monsters .... yet .... but I guess that's ok. I'm only 3 weeks in now

On a side note: Are you starting to feel like a badass? It's a catch 22 ... in some ways you're like "DANG, I can actually do this! Like for real?!" ... then in someways you're like "I feel like a 2nd grader learning what a keyboard is ..."
    Last edited by BuzzSaw; 11-13-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzSaw View Post
    Nice work man. Looks like you've jumped a head of a bit on the hit list

I think you and I are learning very similar lessons. Ralph in particular was a turd to me. Also, DJ as well .. So let me know what you find when you get to that point - PM me! I wont give it away obviously, but I can help in the typical OSCP fashion hah

Oh and for what it's worth, my thought process on the report and note taking:

1. I have note taking in one note that is more around the actual learning process
    - This include useful tools, syntax, etc ..
    2. I have note taking on the Kali box that I use strictly for lab reporting

I am trying to write each machine in a way that someone with lesser knowledge could replicate my take down of the box by (mostly) following my screen shots. This is probably overkill, but if I were actually being paid to do this, I would think a customer would like that level of detail and may help them in understand mitigation steps. And honestly, it only takes a couple more minutes as screenshots pretty much tell the story

I also have the screenshot utility in kali auto save all of my screenshots which then get backed up to my local host (And then into the cloud) I'm super paranoid about losing work hah

BTW: good job on pain man ... I haven't event started on the big tough monsters .... yet .... but I guess that's ok. I'm only 3 weeks in now

On a side note: Are you starting to feel like a badass? It's a catch 22 ... in some ways you're like "DANG, I can actually do this! Like for real?!" ... then in someways you're like "I feel like a 2nd grader learning what a keyboard is ..."
    Thanks dude, yea this weekend was nuts, a bit too much actually as I barely slept and just felt so tired today at work. I've tried to do some more tonight.

I managed to get one more box down which was HELPDESK which was very easy.

I'm also using a screenshot program in Kali called Shutter - you can tell it where to save screenshots, so I've picked the shared folder so I can access it from Windows, it's worked well so far.

I think you're approach to notetaking is good, absolutely nothing wrong with being ultra clear in the notes, and treating it like you would in the real world.

On Saturday and Sunday I felt like the worlds most elite hacker... and then I got stuck again on one of the lab machines and realised I'm still pretty clueless hahahaa.

This evening I've had a very half hearted attempt at BETHANY again. I then read (on this forum) that it's actually one of the most difficult boxes to escalate, so I think I will leave it for a weekend when I'm off and not tired. I also tried hacking OBSERVER but a bit confused by that one. I'm really tired so I'm going to stop now as I just have no energy at the minute!

Rooted (15): Alice, Alpha, Barry, Bob, Helpdesk, JD, Mail, Mike, Oracle, Pain, Payday, Pheonix, Ralph, Sherlock, Tophat
    My Aims

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    You and me both!

I was beat and wiped out over the weekend. On Sunday night I went to log into the lab, and I just felt lost and dazed. Mental fatigue and OSCP don't mix well at all!

I briefly looked at helpdesk. You must have found a vector easier than I did because nothing jumped off the page at me.

Also, I don't want to give anything away ... but .... I think CORE may be of interest to you ......
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Member
    WEEK 10 - UPDATE

Managed to root DOTTY tonight which was a bit of a ballache. Quite a long time spent trying to get in but got there in the end after about 3 hours.

I'm really tired tonight and made some hearted attempts at two other boxes which went nowhere.

Im working from home tomorrow and may be able to squeeze in some more hacking toward the afternoon. I'm hoping to get 3 more boxes rooted by Monday.

BETHANY is killing me! Privilege escalation is a major major weak point of mine. I'm going to return (for the 3rd time) to this machine on Sunday when I have lots of time and hopefully energy too

Rooted (16): Alice, Alpha, Barry, Bob, Dotty, Helpdesk, JD, Mail, Mike, Oracle, Pain, Payday, Pheonix, Ralph, Sherlock, Tophat
    My Aims

Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Member
    WEEK 10 - Update

Well, it's fair to say this entire weekend has been a bit of a nightmare. I had wanted to crack 3 more machines but flopped majorly and just went round in circles for hours.

The biggest issue has been tiredness and mental fatigue. I've not been sleeping well and have just felt dazed for several days now meaning I've found it hard to think and concentrate.

My attempts have been half hearted as a result.

Honestly the OSCP has taken over my life and I think about nothing else. It's nearly 4pm and I've stopped for the rest of the day. Just need a break I think.

Anyway, I've rooted 16 and ideally wanted to get to 20 by the end of the day which is not going to happen.

I have around 3 weeks lab time left.

My plan is to extend for 3 months and book an exam attempt half way through that time. So probably around end of January time.

Arrghhhhh very frustrating! Anyway ... time to chill out
    My Aims

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks