+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 234 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 82

Thread: eLearn PTX

  1. Senior Member supasecuritybro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    165

    Certifications
    CISSP, GPEN, eJPT, CSA+
    #1

    Default eLearn PTX

    Anyone else watching the launch event?
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, eJPT, CSA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: eCPPT
    Five Year Plan:​ RHCSA, CISM, OSCP, more SANS as they come
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Python for Security Professional (Cybrary)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    162

    Certifications
    GCIH, C|EH, MCSA Windows 10
    #2
    I watched it. I think it looks legit and teaches a lot. It just sucks that the name doesn't have much recognition or weight.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    116
    #3
    its recommed to take this course?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member supasecuritybro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    165

    Certifications
    CISSP, GPEN, eJPT, CSA+
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by fabostrong View Post
    I watched it. I think it looks legit and teaches a lot. It just sucks that the name doesn't have much recognition or weight.
    You have a SANS cert. Don't worry about name recognition at this crossroad. Get the knowledge and the hands-on at this point.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, eJPT, CSA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: eCPPT
    Five Year Plan:​ RHCSA, CISM, OSCP, more SANS as they come
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Python for Security Professional (Cybrary)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Surf Guitar Guy tedjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Surf City, TX
    Posts
    480

    Certifications
    SSCP, Security+ +4
    #5
    Looks like a great course, and one day I hope to have the technical expertise to allow me to take and pass it. I'm really surprised, though, that the Barebone version costs so much.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    116
    #6
    the price is making me shocked also ... someone know the exam would be like what ? since this is very specific topic if look at syllabus
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Passion For IT
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    588

    Certifications
    MCTS, MCITP, MCP, A+, Server+, Security+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA-Sec, CEH, CHFI
    #7
    Expensive and not well recognized, but the knowledge you gain looks top notch. I look at it more like a course and less of the certification behind it.

    It is something I plan on working my way towards, along with the OSCP.
    A few certs here and there and everywhere...
    AAS: Computer Security
    BS: Information Technology - Security (WGU)
    MS: Information Security & Assurance (WGU)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,857

    Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    #8
    Yea, I was watching it. I think it's awesome and really advanced.
    Booya!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,092
    #9
    Expensive sort of, but the launch price isn't that bad.

    for this week $1250 gets you up to the 'elite' package with the upgrade, which is pretty fair in the security course/cert market. The syllabus looks pretty indepth and might be a good real world compliment to something like OSCP. Hard to say. But tempting.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Roselle Park, NJ
    Posts
    31

    Certifications
    eJPT, eCPPT
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by GT-Rob View Post
    Expensive sort of, but the launch price isn't that bad.

    for this week $1250 gets you up to the 'elite' package with the upgrade, which is pretty fair in the security course/cert market. The syllabus looks pretty indepth and might be a good real world compliment to something like OSCP. Hard to say. But tempting.
    It's actually $899 for elite (50% off) if you're an existing student.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Not a Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    142

    Certifications
    WGU BSIT, VCP 5, MCITP: EA W2K8, MCITP: Enterprise Technician, A+, Security+, MCTS: Exchange 2007, MCTS: Win 7,MCTS: SCCM,CEH, CCNA,VCAP5-DCA
    #11
    I signed up for both PTP and PTX
    Half way done PTS
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    20

    Certifications
    GCIA, eJPT, eMAPT, ePWD Degrees: B.S. Computer Engineering UCSD
    #12

    Default Save your Money...

    I wouldn't recommend. Tried the demo access and was not impressed. Didn't go into much detail, pointed out external resources and tools that can easily be googled. While the subject material is interesting (focus on Windows AD/PS) I think most of these topics can be found publicly and you with a little more effort try in your own lab setup which is necessary for this level of learning. Simply being able to repeat steps in the course provides no value to a Pentester.

    Elearnsecurity is at a crossroads, their training is solid but too offensive focused and not industry recognized. It's too expensive to warrant paying out of pocket for enthusiasts but the quality is not high enough to warrant corporate training budget (might as well take GXPN or OffSec). Most of us are not pentesters and those that are should be able to learn these techniques w/o a course or would expect to get more out of one (there are only 4 labs).

    Bottom Line: ElearnSecurity is hit or miss with their courses, depending on the author and the amount of work they put into their course. Where as every course in SANS and OffSec is quality controlled.

    I would say PTP: hit, PWD: hit, PTS: miss, WPTX: miss, MASPT: miss, and now PTXP: miss

    Advice: They need to spend some time introducing their brand to Fortune 500s etc. and create sharper professional marketing materials so students can get an actual return on their investment. They claim they are recognized but we all know this is not true...time to hire a real Marketing team and stop the grassroots stuff...

    Last edited by monkykap; 10-24-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,357

    Certifications
    GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    #13
    I don't really care about name recognition, if you have experience and have other 'recognized' certs, then it doesn't matter. Having all the knowledge in one organised place, with labs to follow through is worth it IMHO.


    I just saw the topics, seem to be about exploiting AD/Exchange/WSUS/MS SQL


    Seems to be very niche...I'm torn now, should I go for this course or with the Malware reversing or the web apps pentesting
    Goal: GCFA (DONE), GPEN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    116
    #14
    i have question actually, the vulnerability that they played is outdated or not ? like 14-068
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    116
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by monkykap View Post
    I wouldn't recommend. Tried the demo access and was not impressed. Didn't go into much detail, pointed out external resources and tools that can easily be googled. While the subject material is interesting (focus on Windows AD/PS) I think most of these topics can be found publicly and you with a little more effort try in your own lab setup which is necessary for this level of learning. Simply being able to repeat steps in the course provides no value to a Pentester.

    Elearnsecurity is at a crossroads, their training is solid but too offensive focused and not industry recognized. It's too expensive to warrant paying out of pocket for enthusiasts but the quality is not high enough to warrant corporate training budget (might as well take GXPN or OffSec). Most of us are not pentesters and those that are should be able to learn these techniques w/o a course or would expect to get more out of one (there are only 4 labs).

    Bottom Line: ElearnSecurity is hit or miss with their courses, depending on the author and the amount of work they put into their course. Where as every course in SANS and OffSec is quality controlled.

    I would say PTP: hit, PWD: hit, PTS: miss, WPTX: miss, MASPT: miss, and now PTXP: miss

    Advice: They need to spend some time introducing their brand to Fortune 500s etc. and create sharper professional marketing materials so students can get an actual return on their investment. They claim they are recognized but we all know this is not true...time to hire a real Marketing team and stop the grassroots stuff...

    can i know you said miss and hit based on ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member xxxkaliboyxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    424

    Certifications
    GCIH, C|EH, Sec+, eJPT, SCCC
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by monkykap View Post
    I wouldn't recommend. Tried the demo access and was not impressed. Didn't go into much detail, pointed out external resources and tools that can easily be googled. While the subject material is interesting (focus on Windows AD/PS) I think most of these topics can be found publicly and you with a little more effort try in your own lab setup which is necessary for this level of learning. Simply being able to repeat steps in the course provides no value to a Pentester.

    Elearnsecurity is at a crossroads, their training is solid but too offensive focused and not industry recognized. It's too expensive to warrant paying out of pocket for enthusiasts but the quality is not high enough to warrant corporate training budget (might as well take GXPN or OffSec). Most of us are not pentesters and those that are should be able to learn these techniques w/o a course or would expect to get more out of one (there are only 4 labs).

    Bottom Line: ElearnSecurity is hit or miss with their courses, depending on the author and the amount of work they put into their course. Where as every course in SANS and OffSec is quality controlled.

    I would say PTP: hit, PWD: hit, PTS: miss, WPTX: miss, MASPT: miss, and now PTXP: miss

    Advice: They need to spend some time introducing their brand to Fortune 500s etc. and create sharper professional marketing materials so students can get an actual return on their investment. They claim they are recognized but we all know this is not true...time to hire a real Marketing team and stop the grassroots stuff...

    Are you saying you did the demo for the pTXP or for a different eLS course?
    Studying: LFCS
    Reading
    : Python Crash Course
    Upcoming Exam: GWAPT

    https://realworlditsecurity.wordpress.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    31

    Certifications
    Security+ eJPT
    #17
    Probably gonna buy it because of the discount... working on the PTP right now
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    23

    Certifications
    CEH, MCP, Qualys Certified Specialist
    #18
    The initial price is very reasonable, so I'm practically saving money for the company by buying this.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    451
    #19
    50% off is nice, but when the cost starts out so high, it's still a good chunk of change. Especially when Cybrary and Youtube are free resources that can be utilized, coupled with an at-home lab, $850 for this course doesn't seem worth it. I'll be passing on this one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    85
    #20
    @monkeycap, I agree with your analysis MASPT is a great course, however on structure, labs were not finished and no support on the forums, on top of that they ask you for XYZ in the exam, and then fail you because they want more stuff for the second try.. that is totally BS. The owner has a god complex, PTX looks interesting however I will wait 1 year before taking it, give it time to have the labs and lab guides finished, I would not take it right now. also, it seems the cases they cover are outdated. MASPT looked REALLY rushed, like no QA in elearnsecurity's side. I wouldn't be surprised if they rush this cert as well, I will advice to be patient at this point about PTX
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    23
    #21
    [QUOTE=jm0202;1119265]@monkeycap: You indicated "I would say PTP: hit, PWD: hit, PTS: miss, WPTX: miss, MASPT: miss, and now PTXP: miss" /QUOTE]

    What about eWPT (which is separate from eWPTX) and for me also what criteria did you use to rate a hit or miss?
    We can all be influenced better if you have evidence instead of going on a hunch to make recommendations/decisions on the forum.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    20

    Certifications
    GCIA, eJPT, eMAPT, ePWD Degrees: B.S. Computer Engineering UCSD
    #22
    I've taken PTS, PWD, MASPT. PWD had a lot more slides and labs and in general work put into the construction of the course and I really liked it. PTS is okay...it's a beginner course so I found it underwhelming as there are free alternatives. MASPT was definitely underwhelming and many reviews reflect that. I haven't taken PTP but from the reviews and the amount of content/labs it's easy to tell it's one of their best courses. I haven't seen any rave reviews about WAPTX, the ones i've seen all mention being "underwhelmed". A few folks who weren't high on WAPTX have been high on WAPT even though WAPTX should have more "interesting/advanced" material. My point is there was a lot more work put into construction of some courses compared to others despite the pricing being very similar. I have a "feeling" based on the demo module WSUS that PTX will be like WAPTX and "underwhelm" folks especially at the asking price. You can google most topics in any course so there should be a lot of slides/labs and videos to provide learning opportunity and it doesn't seem that is the case (they didn't advertise the number of slides/labs/videos for PTX but demo module was short and there are only 4 labs total). Generally their courses that have a lot of slides/labs/videos are have been very good, but when the don't they have been underwhelming. Each course tends to have different authors who construct the course their own way. Nothing is standardized including the exam. My two cents.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    85
    #23
    @katawia: do not want to be an influencer, however i did take eWPT, that was a HIT, good material, good labs... MAsPT not s much definitely
    a miss
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member xxxkaliboyxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    424

    Certifications
    GCIH, C|EH, Sec+, eJPT, SCCC
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by monkykap View Post
    I've taken PTS, PWD, MASPT. PWD had a lot more slides and labs and in general work put into the construction of the course and I really liked it. PTS is okay...it's a beginner course so I found it underwhelming as there are free alternatives. MASPT was definitely underwhelming and many reviews reflect that. I haven't taken PTP but from the reviews and the amount of content/labs it's easy to tell it's one of their best courses. I haven't seen any rave reviews about WAPTX, the ones i've seen all mention being "underwhelmed". A few folks who weren't high on WAPTX have been high on WAPT even though WAPTX should have more "interesting/advanced" material. My point is there was a lot more work put into construction of some courses compared to others despite the pricing being very similar. I have a "feeling" based on the demo module WSUS that PTX will be like WAPTX and "underwhelm" folks especially at the asking price. You can google most topics in any course so there should be a lot of slides/labs and videos to provide learning opportunity and it doesn't seem that is the case (they didn't advertise the number of slides/labs/videos for PTX but demo module was short and there are only 4 labs total). Generally their courses that have a lot of slides/labs/videos are have been very good, but when the don't they have been underwhelming. Each course tends to have different authors who construct the course their own way. Nothing is standardized including the exam. My two cents.
    Thanks for the response, the 4 labs is suspect in PTX. I wonder if they will be adding more labs.
    Studying: LFCS
    Reading
    : Python Crash Course
    Upcoming Exam: GWAPT

    https://realworlditsecurity.wordpress.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Virtual Reality
    Posts
    162
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxkaliboyxxx View Post
    Thanks for the response, the 4 labs is suspect in PTX. I wonder if they will be adding more labs.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxkaliboyxxx View Post
    Thanks for the response, the 4 labs is suspect in PTX. I wonder if they will be adding more labs.
    I agree. I haven't purchased the course (and most likely wont) because the content outline and 4 labs looks disappointing. I was either going to buy this or The CSX-P training bundle for 50% off. The PTX course doesn't look like its worth the money even at 50% off. I was hoping that this course/exam would be a good rival to the OSCP and help give eLS' certifications more recognition. There are 0 job postings in my area asking for any eLS cert. The PTS and PTP are the only courses that I've done so far. From a knowledge perspective they're great, but the certs are worthless atm (in my area atleast).
    Last edited by CertifiedMonkey; 10-26-2017 at 01:08 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 234 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks