+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Pancakes and Lasagna kurosaki00's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, A+, Network+
    Besides Security+, what certification would give me a good ground/general cover in the subjects of security?

My area? Systems and Networking
    Systems as in systems connecting through servers, server to internet etc
    Networking if anyone know a sec cert that cover mobile technologies, would be awesome

help plz?
    meh
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GWAPT, GCFA, GREM, ACE
    Quote Originally Posted by kurosaki00 View Post
    Besides Security+, what certification would give me a good ground/general cover in the subjects of security?

My area? Systems and Networking
    Systems as in systems connecting through servers, server to internet etc
    Networking if anyone know a sec cert that cover mobile technologies, would be awesome

help plz?
    I would say look into, GCIH, GCFW, also CCNA Sec
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GWAPT, GCFA, GREM, ACE
    Quote Originally Posted by idr0p View Post
    I would say look into, GCIH, GCFW, also CCNA Sec
    Oh and GSEC
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member
    I have a 4 months experience of working as a network engineer,i am employed in a mid sized enterprise so I am actually engaged in a multi-job role.I know this hardly counts as an experience. But I really want to get into information security field and I don't know how to get into that field with the kind of scenario i am in right now. Does experience really count for getting into a information security field and what are the certifications that are really required????? Please help me out....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security+, CISSP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Feedback please

This is a great thread. Keatron's post is particularly useful.

My position is that I've worked in the IT Sec field for about 9 years having progressed from an IT support position in 2003 to a security analyst role and now a security manager. I have a CISSP and a Masters Degree. I completed some CCNA and MCP reading early on but don't hold the certs.

Having been in a management role for about 3 years now I've been hands off and feel that the technology has moved under my feet and I'm now out of date. I'm torn because the natural progression has been to management but I'm finding now that to continue to be effective I need to maintain my skills in the tech that I'm responsible for securing.

So I'm thinking of revisiting CCNA, possibly to CCNA: Sec, MCSE and then something on the virtualisation side of things. Ideally I'd like to do something project management related as well. I'm a little intimidated at the amount of work this is! Probably 2-3 years worth and not sure how realistic it is to maintain.

Anyone in or have been in this situation?

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCNA
    I am new to this site. Thank you all for the info. Really helpful.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    ^ It really depends on what type of security job you want.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Not sure if you have already, but you should right a book title "Breaking into Information Security". This insight would help alot of people better understand it. This is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP-ISSAP, HCISPP GPEN, GSEC, GSNA, GCIH, E|CH, ECSA, Security+
    Having been in your shoes, all I can say is yes its difficult but not impossible. Always work the basics first. Without the broad base of knowledge there is nothing to really base the technical details on. Obtaining and keeping certs fresh or current is what I refer to as the "hamster wheel". You keep running to keep the wheel rolling... Its a drag. After awhile you can allow some of the lower level certs fall off for more interesting fresh and relevant certifications.

Cisco CCNA or CCSP will always be in "style" for the foreseeable future and really help with the base skills as mentioned above. For the most part those of us who have bothered taking the CCENT - don't bother. It's actually more difficult than just sucking it up and taking the full CCNA, unless of course, you really enjoy calculating CIDRs for hours on end.

Last piece of advice here is tried and true but rarely spoken: "No one wants to be the ex-tech..." Particularly after the dot com boom I became quickly tired of the folks who told me some to the effect of: "I used to do what you do...." Let me sum it up for you - No, probably not or you sucked and were forced out. (*snigger*)

Hopefully, that helps. If not PM me and we can discuss further.

- beads
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S
    Just read keatron's post and I really find it very useful (I'm new to the site ). I'm just starting out my career in the networking field but I really want to dig well in Network Security. I'm a fresh grad who just got a CCNA certification and I'll planning to study for the CCNA Security perhaps early next year.

I'm totally lost where to start with the basics, to start learning Linux first or go directly reading security certification guides? I don't know if I really should've placed this question here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    OSCP, eMAPT, eWPT, CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, GCIA, GSEC, CEH, CNDA, ECSA, CHFI, Sec+, Net+
    What certification will land you a security job can be pretty arbitrary. It is not necessarily a matter of what certification is valuable, but more what your employer thinks is valuable. I landed my first security job shortly after getting CEH...which I personally don't think it a particularly impressive cert. But they had an IT generalist staffing security positions, and he thought it sounded impressive.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE (old), SSCP, CCA, Sec+, P+, L+, and N+
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs1976 View Post
    My plan is to do Sec+, then MSCA:Security. I aleady have already taken a Citrix related security exam and i'm looking at another one next year.
    Funny reading a post from 6 years ago and thinking about all that has happened since then.

I completed the Sec+ but never did get around to the MSCA:Security. I eventually took a second Citrix security exam (Access Gateway AE) and now i'm trying to figure out between the SSCP or CISSP for my next one.
    Andy

2017 Goals: 1 of 5 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keatron View Post
    This was an amazing post. Really helpful. Is this still a good route in 2016?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member

Certifications
    MSc in IT, CEH, FEMA / DHS Cybersecurity Certifications, ITIL v3 Foundations, CDRE, CIHE, CDFE
    CISSP is next on the cards for me along with CDFE.

However, it is the knowledge and skills you acquire from doing these courses and certificates and building in it that is priceless.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    Was wondering all the Info Sec guys think of this track
    I have been in IT for years going from support to analyst to engineer. I've transitioned to Project Management with the hopes of becoming an IT Director/manager in the next few years. I'm enrolling in WGU to complete my MBA after which I wanted to continue my certification track of an IT generalist to have a broad knowledge of several IT topics.

My question
    What would be the most worthwhile security certification for this strategy?

Questions or comments, please let me know
    Thanks
    Completed in 2017: MBA: Information Technology Management (WGU)
    Currently Working On: PMP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Quote Originally Posted by mzx380 View Post
    my question
    what would be the most worthwhile security certification for this strategy?
    cissp .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. This site changed my life mzx380's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL, ACA, VCP-DCV, Linux+, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    cissp .
    Thanks NetworkNewb
    Would you or anyone else here give some advice on how to apply? Is it as big a pain in the @$$ to apply as the PMP?
    Completed in 2017: MBA: Information Technology Management (WGU)
    Currently Working On: PMP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks