+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Certifications
    BS-IT Sec, CCNA:Sec, CCNA R/S, CCENT, CEH, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, Sec+, Net+, A+, Project+, CIW WDS, CIW DDS
    Yes, CCNA Security would be the prereq for CCNP Security. To be eligible for CCNA Security you would either need to be a CCNA RS or a CCENT.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member
    Keatron,

What would you recommend currently in place of MCSA:Sec? I read in an earlier post that its all wrapped up into another exam. The exams I have found are the 410-412 and that is specifically Server 2012

Thanks for your advice
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hi,

I am in a little bit different situation comparing to most of the people that shared their questions above. I have picked more business/managerial path related to service delivery management in Security area. Out of all technical certificates have only ITIL. I am not planning to move to any security related technical role where hands-on skills are crucial.

What certificate would you recommend in my case?

CISSP sounds like a perfect solution but still do not have enough experience (so would become "Associate") and it would probably be a huge challenge for me, as I do not have security background - I am not afraid of learning, just trying not to bite more than I can chew.

Have been also considering Security+ as a staring point but maybe it would be just a waste of money? I do not want to get the certificate just to have one, but to make myself study in a more structured way and have a clear goal. Would I learn more if I took Security+ before taking CISSP or would it be more reasonable to go directly to CISSP as there is some overlap and I want to do it anyway? I know Security+ would give me 1 year experience waiver for CISSP so for sure that is a benefit.

Starting with SSCP does no make too much sense to me as I have heard the overlap is so big it is better to learn a little bit more and pass CISSP.

Or maybe you would recommend any other certificate that would work better in my situation? I am sure it would be best to pass all of them staring for instance from CCNA/Network+ to build strong background but don't want spend my life chasing after certificates, one after another and would like to focus only on those that make most sense.

Thank you for any suggestions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    I would start out by studying the Security+ material. Not having formal experience in the fields of Information Security, you may not be sure if it's of any interest to you for a career track. Security+ will give you an idea of the many areas of knowledge that you must have to be a well-rounded information security practitioner. If you find InfoSec not to your liking, you can pivot into some other area of technology for your career that is more to your interests. If you do find InfoSec material appealing, you can then decide to go on and get the Security+ cert (recommended for the knowledge and resume) or going instead for the SSCP or CASP. Jumping straight to the CISSP is recommended for someone that already meets the education/experience requirements for full CISSP certification.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA, ECC, Mile2
    This COMPTIA Roadmap is very helpful:

https://certification.comptia.org/do...p.pdf?sfvrsn=2

See the top section for IT Security Certifications
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    OSCP, OSWP, eWPT
    Quote Originally Posted by TK1799_st View Post
    This COMPTIA Roadmap is very helpful:

https://certification.comptia.org/do...p.pdf?sfvrsn=2

See the top section for IT Security Certifications
    +1 but there is no companies like OS, eLS etc
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hello everyone,

I am new to techexams and Infosec. I have read many threads here (Keatron's coke can analogy) and some other blog posts (e.g Lesley Carhart's) about how to proceed your career in Infosec with the help of certifications and my sincere thanks to everyone. But I think each one has a different situation (or atleast think they are in), so let me ask you all experts on how should I proceed in terms of certifications.

My background: I worked in software development for around 5 years and recently moved to Infosec exactly a year ago. I work as an Identity Access Management consultant deploying/enhancing new or existing IAM solutions.Also I have a Masters degree in CS.

My Goal: I want to see myself in managerial/leadership role in IAM or other infosec projects. As far as I understand CISSP would be my goal 3-4 years later when I attain the required experience.

So what certifications can help me in short term for IAM and long term for infosec overall?

Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Cfr

CyberSEC First Responder (CFR) is a must add to your list.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member Registered Member
    Thanks @Charper0873. Is CFR a basic level certificate or is it something parallel to Security+ and other certification path?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hello all. Like Suramya above I am looking to move my career into InfoSec and this forum has been invaluable to my research over the last year or so. Please could I get some up-to-date advice and also as I am in the UK, some UK relevant advice?

Unlike most here I do not have a technical background. I have grown up with computers and have always been technically adept. I regret with hindsight not taking a computer science related degree, but I saw my life going a different way and I studied a non-technical degree. I have 7 years experience in law enforcement and I am looking to change career into information security/risk management in the private sector. I am completely dedicated to this, and I hope that if I gain technical qualifications combined with all of my transferable skills from the police force (risk assessment, project management, counter terrorism training, high attention to detail, the list goes on), hopefully an employer will give me a chance.

The amount of courses and certifications available out there are a minefield and its hard for an outsider to set a pathway in stone.

I am currently studying for my Network+. I also have booked a ISO27001 Certified ISMS Foundation training course through ITGovernance.

Any advice on what I should do next after that? I was thinking Security+. I see myself more in a consultancy/project management career than purely technical but all of the vacancies I've looked at require technical knowledge and qualifications.

Of interest, have any of you made successful career changes to InfoSec from the police or any non-technical background? It would be great to hear some constructive advice.

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

Martyn
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member Registered Member
    Any input at all, no matter how slim?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCP5-DCV
    i've doing windows systems admin work for a while and was interested in knowing what basic security certification do i need to study? thoughts? thanks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCP5-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    I would start out by studying the Security+ material. Not having formal experience in the fields of Information Security, you may not be sure if it's of any interest to you for a career track. Security+ will give you an idea of the many areas of knowledge that you must have to be a well-rounded information security practitioner. If you find InfoSec not to your liking, you can pivot into some other area of technology for your career that is more to your interests. If you do find InfoSec material appealing, you can then decide to go on and get the Security+ cert (recommended for the knowledge and resume) or going instead for the SSCP or CASP. Jumping straight to the CISSP is recommended for someone that already meets the education/experience requirements for full CISSP certification.
    I am a windows systems admin. So security+ is what you recommend for newbies? What exactly is a security+ certification? What are the best books/learning materias to start off with? Thanks.
    Last edited by zcarenow; 07-10-2016 at 05:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Start with the end in mind.

Great advice from Stephen Covey's 7 habits of successful people. Unless you know where you are headed how can you know where to start? If it's a particular job you have as your goal then I recommend you look at what that job requires and work backwards from there to find your start point. This may save you setting off on the wrong path.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by eth0 View Post
    +1 but there is no companies like OS, eLS etc
    eth0 I'm curious, you have all the certifications I hope to get in the next couple of years.

what do you do for employment if you don't mind sharing.

also what are your goals now as far as certifications? you going to get into more reverse engineering type certifications like the OSCE eventually?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    Quote Originally Posted by zcarenow View Post
    What exactly is a security+ certification? What are the best books/learning materias to start off with? Thanks.
    I recommend reading our Security+ discussion forum and Security+ info page.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member

Certifications
    CCNA 200-125, A+
    if I get my CCNA security is it worth it to get Security+

I want to get into Info Sec

also, I don't have to pay for certs

I currently hold a CCNA and A+