+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12 3456 ... Last
  1. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris:/* View Post
    You really want a degree in either Electrical Engineering or Computer Science if you want to get into reverse engineering and malware analysis.
    All of the people I know who do genuine Malware research--including reverse engineering--have neither of those degrees. They are just programmers with a genuine desire and aptitude to completely understand how executable binaries are constructed, what they do when run, how they got where they were found, and discover who built them. That (and Google) is all it takes.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    NSTISSI (4012 & 4011), eCPPT, CEH, CHFI, EDRP, CWSP, CWNA, RHCSA, VCP 3, G2700, GSEC, CIW:SP:WFA, Security+, Network+, A+
    That is interesting because of the people who I have talked to who do the work for FBI and DOJ told me to earn a degree in CS or EE otherwise they would not pick up the candidate. The exception they did state was of course lots of previous experience but starting out they suggested the degrees.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    Quote Originally Posted by thebogman87 View Post
    I think I was more disappointed finding out that a lot of computer forensics work is just running grep tools on EnCase haha (not being entirely serious)
    There is a lot of boring, tedious work like that. Much of the time you are only collecting information that a lawyer tells you to look for. You won't be interpreting the information or performing many Sherlock Holmes-like deductions. But it can be quite a challenge to find and reconstruct hidden or damaged information, much like a coroner trying to reconstruct a murder from the condition of from a body. You also need to decide when to stop looking for stuff, because 80% of the systems you'll examine won't have what your lawyer is looking for, so you can waste a lot of time exploring a "sterile field." The biggest problem can be finding ways not to be bored with the work because it's usully not a very creative activity.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris:/* View Post
    That is interesting because of the people who I have talked to who do the work for FBI and DOJ told me to earn a degree in CS or EE otherwise they would not pick up the candidate. The exception they did state was of course lots of previous experience but starting out they suggested the degrees.
    Every hiring organization has their own requirements. I guarantee you someone working in reverse engineering for a few years at a place like McAfee or Symantec who doesn't even have a degree would be snapped up by the DoJ or DoD (or a subcontractor) pretty quickly. It's a proven track record in the ability to do the work that gets you in the door.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    NSTISSI (4012 & 4011), eCPPT, CEH, CHFI, EDRP, CWSP, CWNA, RHCSA, VCP 3, G2700, GSEC, CIW:SP:WFA, Security+, Network+, A+
    Oh I agree! Too often HR Goons create speed bumps or unnecessary road blocks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

Certifications
    Security+
    CF is something I've developed quite an interest in, and I'd love to see my career move in that direction. I'm looking into my CHFI for 2011, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. I'd be interested in seeing my CF topics on these boards, too.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    FYI: Anyone interested in CF should know about Scott Moulton's hard drive repair and data recovers site: http://myharddrivedied.com/

Scott Moulton has lots of videos on YouTube, offers classes in the USA, and is a SANS instructor.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    A great post on getting started with some tools is: Windows Incident Response: Getting started, or forensic analysis on the cheap

The blog belongs to Harlan Carvey who writes some very well recommended forensics books. In other posts he also mentions open source tools such as The Sleuth Kit, Helix and Autopsy which would be useful for anyone not able to fork out for the Encase or FTK licensing.

Another blog I'd recommend is:

A Day in the Life of an Information Security Investigator

If you're considering CF in law enforcement, I really would read this post:

http://johnjustinirvine.com/post/339744451 (it appears down at the moment, but you can view the cached version at google)

Whilst this post isn't supposed to scare you away from CF, it's an interesting post on the realities of being in the industry.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_s0 View Post
    (it appears down at the moment, but you can view the cached version at google)
    Computer Forensics Eated Mah Soul
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications

Default New Blog Article: Making Hash Sets from VMware Virtual Machines

I just posted a new blog article: Making Hash Sets from VMware Virtual Machines | TechExams.net Blogs

It's a forensics article on making hashsets; it has a lot of information about mounting VMware virtual disks and ISO files.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications

Default CEIC 2011 and EnCase Training and Certification

The 11th Annual CEIC (Computer Enterprise Investigations Conference) is in Orlando in May. It features the ability to attend EnCase and EnCEP classes and get the certs.

Computer and Enterprise Investigations Conference - CEIC 2011
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications

Default EnCase Academic Program

Speaking of EnCase training at universities:
    "To help academia handle the increased demand for new training and courses, Guidance Software's EnCase Academic Program includes everything an educational institution needs to incorporate EnCase effectively into their curriculum. In addition to classroom software, participants in the program can add a license of EnCase Forensic software and self-paced Internet-based on-demand training. This training mirrors the in-class instruction taken by more than 5,000 professionals annually at Guidance Software training facilities. Upon completion of their school's forensic program, students can opt to become an EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE), giving them a competitive advantage as they enter the workforce."
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member Registered Member

Talking MORE MORE MORE Computer Forensics

I am very intersted in computer forensics. Pease keep us "posted".. lol

THanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    The SANS Forensics Blog is a good resource too: http://computer-forensics.sans.org/blog/
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ISC˛ CISSP, SANS GWAPT, EC-Council CEH v.4, CompTIA: Network+, A+, Security+, Microsoft MCP
    I'm very interested in computer forensics, I've used Backtrack, EnCase, Knoppix for a while and love them... I have a blog that I'm hoping to start posting more on... check it out, leave a comment if you wish (constructive criticism please!)

Beyond Defensive Hacking

v/r

Phillip
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by holysheetman View Post
    Whoa, very MySpace-ish! Providing both useful information and a creative outlet.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    For anyone who uses EnCase and is interested in the EnCE certification, EnCase 7 will soon be released as a "Community Technology Preview." This will take the place of a beta release. The official EnCase 7 product release will be by CEIC 2011 in May. It is expected that the EnCE exam will be changed to EnCase 7 six month after, but this not final. Based on prior sales, it is expected that upwards of 80% of EnCase 6 owners will have upgraded to EnCase 7 by that time.

The bottom line is if you are an EnCase 6 user and have been thinking of getting your EnCE cert, you better consider doing it soon, or you'll need to learn EnCase 7 before getting it. If that appeals to you, the EnCase 7 Study Guide is due out in the next 2-4 weeks.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    I got a look at EnCase v7 preview and here's a collection of hastily-written notes about it: Notes on the Preview of EnCase Version 7 | TechExams.net Blogs
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ISC˛ CISSP, SANS GWAPT, EC-Council CEH v.4, CompTIA: Network+, A+, Security+, Microsoft MCP
    yeah that's me messing around with the background hehe
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA
    WIP:
    MS in Legal Studies - Drexel University
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    I bought Harlan Carvey's Windows Registry Forensics book, but I haven't thumbed through his Open Source tools one. His works are very well respected. In the computer forensics world, all you need do is say "Harlan" and everyone knows who you are talking about.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    I bought Harlan Carvey's Windows Registry Forensics book, but I haven't thumbed through his Open Source tools one. His works are very well respected. In the computer forensics world, all you need do is say "Harlan" and everyone knows who you are talking about.
    I grabbed that a bit ago as well. I haven't been able to touch it since CEH and CPT :P

Everyone I've talked to about that book says its the defacto for Windows forensics books right now.

CHFI/CCFE wise I'm looking into grabbing this:
    Amazon.com: Computer Forensics Library Boxed Set (9780321525642): Keith J. Jones, Richard Bejtlich, Curtis W. Rose, Dan Farmer, Wietse Venema, Brian Carrier: Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Make sure that a new edition of any of those books isn't due out soon. That set will be heavily discounted if new releases are eminent.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA
    I've been thinking more and more about network forensics, seems difficult and interesting though I don't see a whole lot on the subject. My guess I'd have to focus more on networking monitoring and apply it to network forensics.
    WIP:
    MS in Legal Studies - Drexel University
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12 3456 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks