+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 First 12345 678 Last
  1. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA CMFF
    Should be noted that the job posting closes tonight at midnight, hadn't realized that or I would have posted sooner!

I found this the other day and found it pretty interesting.

USAJOBS - Search Jobs

Entry level (as long as you have the degree requirements) and they will train you from the ground up. My understanding of the training is as follows:

2 Week A+ Course (must pass or you lose the job)
    2 Week Network+ Course (must pass or you lose the job)
    (For the above, I don't know if you can bypass the training if you already hold the certs, I'd assume you could, but not 100% sure)
    4 Week Course on the forensic tools used by the FBI (obviously you have to pass)

Then it is pretty much on the job training. Pay seems pretty good and the position goes all the way up to GS14. You would be mentored by a senior field examiner and as time goes on given your own case load/assist on various cases.

Note: You'll need to be able to pass the extensive background check. TS-SCI would require a through background investigation (every place you lived, worked, went to school, etc will be checked). Also, you will go through a full scope polygraph exam. This consists of two parts: Counterintelligence (have you ever been apart of a group wanting to overthrow the government, etc) and Lifestyle (have you ever done drugs, etc). Polygraph usually lasts between one to three hours and is interesting to say the least. Time to complete the background check can take up to two years, but usually is completed in three to eight months. The length of time is about 95% dependent on you and how correct your information is. You would repeat this process every 5 years for as long as you are working for the FBI.

Having been through a process like this I can say it is interesting and frustrating at the same time. Also, it gave me faith in privacy laws as when my investigator came to speak to one of my professors the legal team at my college called the investigator and ripped him a new one (something to the effect of they didn't care who he represented he had no right to get information on a student). They then told him to have the professor get on the phone and told him he was not to say a word to the investigator in regards to me. Ultimately, I wrote a letter stating what it was for and we were good to go.

Good luck to anyone who applies and note that the last time they attempted to hire for positions like this they ended up cancelling the anouncement.
    Last edited by the_Grinch; 09-01-2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Information update
    WIP:
    MS in Legal Studies - Drexel University
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    Here's a bit of "Friday Fun" for CF people: Computer forensics myths?
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    For people interested in how the EC-Council CHFI cert compares against other CF certs more well recognized in the CF world: CHFI Versus CCE Certification
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    Book Review: Digital Evidence and Computer Crime - Slashdot

New book that came out, looks pretty good!
    WIP:
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    That book is a classic in computer forensics, and the 3rd edition was released May 2011.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    This podcast is more focused on data recovery than forensics, but I love the way it digs deep into how HDDs work and communicate.

My Hard Drive Died Podcast - w/Scott Moulton | Podnutz - Tech Podcasts
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    SANS has an online Windows computer forensic exam to assess if you need to take their FOR408 course or you can skip to their FOR508 course. The exam is 46 questions and with a 120-minute time limit. You will need an account on the sans.org Web site to access the exam. And you better know your CF stuff concerning Windows Vista and 7, otherwise you'll be doing a lot of guessing (like I did).

SANS Computer Forensics Course Assessment
    https://exams.giac.org/exams/overview
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    OK people, I am now EnCE-certified; here's my blog article to provide you all with the experience: The EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE) Certification Experience – The Practical Exam | TechExams.net Blogs
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    Congrats JD and great write up!
    WIP:
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Congratulations!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    OK people, I am now EnCE-certified; here's my blog article to provide you all with the experience: The EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE) Certification Experience – The Practical Exam | TechExams.net Blogs
    This was the best and most thorough review I have ever seen on the EnCE. I really enjoyed it and am hoping I will be able to eventually take the exam as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    That book is a classic in computer forensics, and the 3rd edition was released May 2011.
    I found Amazon.com: File System Forensic Analysis (9780321268174): Brian Carrier: Books to be a good read and an even greater reference tool.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    I found Amazon.com: File System Forensic Analysis (9780321268174): Brian Carrier: Books to be a good read and an even greater reference tool.
    Yes, a very good reference, and Harlan Carvey's Windows Registry Forensics too. I recommended both of those books in my EnCE blog article.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/forensics.pdf Was doing some research and found this paper from USCERT. Contains some great information for people looking to get into forensics and for IT people in general.
    WIP:
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, RHCSA
    I like the NIST's 800 series publications. There is some good reading in there:
    http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/PubsSPs.html

It can be a tad outdated, but still interesting (e.g., Guide to Integrating Forensic Techniques into Incident Response cir. 2006).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member Registered Member
    For the ACE you can get by with version 1.8, but you need a dongle to complete the test as you have to crack passwords and review some history in the image they provide. When you recertify, you will have to answer detailed questions about version 2.2 and up. You can download all versions of FTK but they are limited, I suggest you borrow a dongle from someone with a fully licensed copy or enroll in a course where they use AccessData products. I received my ACE certification last March and my Cybersecurity Forensics Analyst certification last April.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Harlan Carvey just created a page on his blog, with a list of FOSS tools for forensic analysis:

Windows Incident Response: FOSS Tools
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    It's not surprising that FTK Imager is on the top of that list. It's an excellent free tool for imaging electronic media, which is usually the first step in performing a forensic examination of an information storage system.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    It's not surprising that FTK Imager is on the top of that list. It's an excellent free tool for imaging electronic media, which is usually the first step in performing a forensic examination of an information storage system.
    It certainly is a great tool. I used it yesterday to help recover some photos from a CF memory card. My folks came to see our 8 month old and took about thirty photos. For some reason the FAT table became corrupt and Windows kept asking to format it. After imaging the card I used PhotoRec to carve out the images. I originally wanted to use Androit's tool since I have heard rave reviews, but I'm not up to forking out $999 for something I just want to play with
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Not every CF card works in every reader, even though it may fit correctly in the slot. Next time I would try the card in several different reader devices before assuming the CF's disk volume or media had become corrupt.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    It's my fault for not being more specific. The CF card quit working properly in the camera that the photos were being taken in. I then moved the card to the only CF reader I had and it wouldn't read properly there either.

I'm assume what you are refering to is the different types of CF media? I know there are about four or five different ones.
    Last edited by veritas_libertas; 10-28-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    I'm assume what you are refering to is the different types of CF media? I know there are about four or five different ones.
    No, I'm talking about using the same media with different readers doesn't always work.

I've been told by digital forensic people who work a lot with media cards that not every media card works with every media reader that fits that card. Over the years there have been changes made in how Compact Flash devices are manufactured, and this has caused newer media not to work with some older readers or devices. There are also "shoddy" media readers that are not electronically capable of reading the same type of card from every manufacturer.

To mitigate this, digital forensics people must carry a variety of different readers for the same types of flash media to verify if the media is truly bad/damaged, or if the first reader they tried isn't compatible with the media.
    --
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    I'm glad you brought that up since I have never heard of it before. Thanks for the info!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    For those interested, Eric Huber posted on G+ that Champlain College now has an online or in-class Master of Science in Digital Forensic Science. The program will not be available until Fall of 2012.

Master of Science in Digital Forensic Science | Graduate Studies

Champlain College's newest graduate program, the Master of Science in Digital Forensic Science, to launch in fall 2012, is designed for full- and part-time students with experience in the industry who want to develop their scientific expertise. In a field with few graduate-level opportunities, Champlain's program, developed with input from practitioners in law enforcement, private practice and defense, meets a demand for specialized education.

The college was one of the first higher education institutions to offer an undergraduate degree in digital forensics. The new master's degree builds on Champlain's reputation for innovation in digital forensics education and complements our undergraduate offerings and master's program in Digital Forensics Management. Champlain's Digital Forensic Science program will be among the first in the nation to meet the requirements of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. The college is recognized as an educational center of excellence in information security by the Department of Homeland Security and the National Security Agency.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member Registered Member

Default CCFE Test Prep

Working on preparation to take the CCFE exam, cant seem to find any kind of test preparation materials out there. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 First 12345 678 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks