+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20
    #1

    Default About stanford advanced computer and security certificate

    I just saw stanford offers a certificate online, which cover different topics, check the following link for more information:

    Advanced Computer Security Certificate | Stanford University Online

    What do you think guys, it is worth to take it?. I guess since its the department of engineering the one who issues the certificate, it would in some way guaranty the quality of the course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Posts
    10,616
    Blog Entries
    50

    Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    #2
    You bets best is to Google for reviews of the cert's courses written by people who have taken them. Having the name "Stanford University" on it might give it a little more credibility on face value, but that doesn't indicate how good the courses are.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by xopito View Post
    I just saw stanford offers a certificate online, which cover different topics, check the following link for more information:

    Advanced Computer Security Certificate | Stanford University Online

    What do you think guys, it is worth to take it?. I guess since its the department of engineering the one who issues the certificate, it would in some way guaranty the quality of the course.

    Also hop on linkedin and do a search to see who is in the program or went through it. Of course Stanford is well known, but expensive!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member AlexNguyen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    300

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISA, CSSA, C|EH, C|HFI, GCFE, GPEN, GAWN, VCP5, MCTS, MCITP, ITIL v3 Foundation
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by pennywaltz View Post
    Of course Stanford is well known, but expensive!
    If you DID visit the provided link, you'll notice that the tuition is "only" $495 per online course + 75$ one-time document fee.
    6 courses are required to get the certificate.

    I think it's "cheap" because each online course is aproximately 6 - 8 hours.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member ChooseLife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    runlevel 3
    Posts
    926

    Certifications
    BCSc Network Security, VCP, MCSA:Sec, CCNA:Sec, GIAC GSEC, Sec+, ITIL-f
    #5
    At the first glance looks very interesting, thanks for sharing.
    *tempted*...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20
    #6
    Well I think this certificate will end up building my credibility, due to life I was forced to enter to a bad University, but through the year I have worked hard to get certificate such as Comptia Security+, MCSE and Red Hat Certificate Engineering. The course seems really nice and having a certificate from Stanford I am sure it will take me into a new level. Well thanks for the opinion guys
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member ChooseLife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    runlevel 3
    Posts
    926

    Certifications
    BCSc Network Security, VCP, MCSA:Sec, CCNA:Sec, GIAC GSEC, Sec+, ITIL-f
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    You bets best is to Google for reviews of the cert's courses written by people who have taken them. Having the name "Stanford University" on it might give it a little more credibility on face value, but that doesn't indicate how good the courses are.
    I researched online and interestingly there is nil information on the certificate (apart from a couple of press releases reprinted by several dozen web sites and mentioning in CV's/LinkedIn profiles)... Well, one article called "Resume Boosters", but that is it...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. EC Council #1 fan colemic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tejas, Baby!
    Posts
    1,531

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISA, GIAC 2700, MCSE:Security, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Security, CCENT, Sec+, Net+, ITIL v3 Foundations
    #8
    My only complaint would be that they equate each course with one CEU. I feel that should be dependent on how much time the course takes me tocomplete. I think ISC(2) and ISACA would only view one CEU as one CPE.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Posts
    10,616
    Blog Entries
    50

    Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by colemic View Post
    I think ISC(2) and ISACA would only view one CEU as one CPE.
    1 CEU = 10 hours of classroom attendance in a continuing education program.
    1 CPE = 1 hour of attendance in a continuing professional education situation (as per (ISC)2 and ISACA). Often referred to as "CPE hours."

    Therefore, 1 CEU should equal 10 CPEs, but I see nothing explicitly noted about this exchange on isc2.org or isaca.org.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Aim Small, Miss Small universalfrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    245

    Certifications
    FAC P/PM III, ACFPM, LSS Black Belt, PMP, MS Info. Sys. Eng., BS BIS, AAS-AST,Security+ CE, Network+ CE, Server+, CCNA,ITIL v3, MCTS:Win7 Config.
    #10
    thanks for the link!

    I am looking at this really hard. might be good thing to use the last of my gi bill on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    818

    Certifications
    CISSP, CCNA (R&S, Sec), WGU BS:IT Sec, MCTS: Win 7 Config, Sec+, Project+, Storage+, Net+, A+
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    1 CEU = 10 hours of classroom attendance in a continuing education program.
    1 CPE = 1 hour of attendance in a continuing professional education situation (as per (ISC)2 and ISACA). Often referred to as "CPE hours."

    Therefore, 1 CEU should equal 10 CPEs, but I see nothing explicitly noted about this exchange on isc2.org or isaca.org.
    I contacted ISC2 about this a few weeks ago. While is states on their website that you should contact the course publisher for information on number of recommended CPEs, you should use that as a guideline and report the number of hours you actually spent studying, in class and out of class, for the certification or exam. I said that I had spent 120 hours studying for the CISSP and asked if I spent the same amount of time studying for another certification if I could count that as 120 CPEs. She said that generally yes, but to use my best judgement.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks