+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 First 12 3456 ... Last
  1. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Thanks everyone for posting so much reference material and insight! I'll be starting on February 5th with 60 days and can't wait to begin. Asides from being a bit intimidated and nervous about python and custom scripts, I'm very much looking forward to the challenge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH, OSCP, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, MCP (Win XP)
    I just took the OSCP exam on Thursday (the 29th - 30th) and I got word on Saturday that I passed!

To sum it up.... Going in I had my A+, Net+, Security+, and an MCP in WIn XP. I also hold a BIT in Computer Forensics. Now that being said I had little to no knowledge of Buffer Overflows or really pentesting of any kind. I know how to write VBS scripts and a little VB .NET and batch files of course, No ruby, perl, python, or anything else. I knew how to use linux (install packages, sh script, common commands) but I would not say I was proficient in it. My experience with Backtrack has just been minor. I have looked it over and even used some youtube videos to walk me through cracking my own wifi network but never really got in-depth with it.

That being said I pretty much learned everything I needed to pass the course from the course itself. I originally signed up for the 30 day package but it took me that long to step through the videos and the lab guide. I ended up extending it twice to a total of 90 days, I recommend doing the 90 if you can, at the very least 60. I also recommend learning to do and completing the extra mile tasks as you go. I did them my last week of time and realized that they would have helped me a lot if I did them in the first place.

The lab itself is wondrous. I personally want more time in it even after I passed just to go through and practice more on the more advanced machines. The lab ranges from machines that you could launch canned exploits on to ones that I don't think you could get into if you had a year, and all kinds in between.

I learned some basic perl and python as I went, piecing together examples and using the almighty Google. You will learn enough to do what you need to in the course, programming is not the main focus of the course but being able to look at a script, get a basic understanding, and change what you need to is a necessity. You will need to mind slight differences in the videos and the lab documentation between the version of backtrack they are using... I used 5 r1 but I think the videos used ver 4. If you can't find something the "locate" and "find" commands are your friend.

Oh, Use the IRC channel #offsec, its good not only to ***** and hope someone slips a juicy tidbit or two but you may meet others that may offer a kind word or at least someone that will let you bonce your ideas off of them.

Another tip, you get an exam try with the package, you have to take it within 30 days of the end of your lab time. TAKE IT!!! Whether you think you will pass or not!! I have read a few posts on the interwebs about people not taking it out of fear or lack of confidence. This is silly, you already paid for it you might as well take it and give it a shot, you never know!

Oh and document EVERYTHING, your successes, your failures, your thoughts on what you see. Take screenshots of your successes as proof, take them if you see anything interesting you may want to reference later, copy and paste the terminal output for later review or when a screenshot just wont fully explain what is going on. I used KeepNote, its a wonderful little app in backtrack that lets you take notes in tree form. Remeber this course is about pentesting, and part of a pen test is providing some serious documentation, enough so that even a non-technical CEO could reproduce your work.

If your looking into taking the course I recommend a few sites to familiarize yourself with:

1. Online Information Security Training - BackTrack - search though this site and read everything you can on it, watch all the example videos and get an overall feel for what they do. On this note there is a public video

2. https://www.corelan.be/ - This site has a good buffer overflow series, not really necessary for the course but may help.

3. g0tmi1k - I referenced this blog more than a handful of times, there are some practical examples to that may help you out in your travels.

4. http://carnal0wnage.attackresearch.com - I also ended up here a few times looking for alternative ideas.

5. Offensive Security Forums - once you have access to the forum I recommend reading every post, but as a place to start... I suggest you look at this topic first.

Keep in mind this course is not as much about teaching you EXACTLY how to pentest as much as it is about teaching you to learn how to. There are many times where I felt overwhelmed at scenarios not covered, you will get frustrated, you may even go insane for a bit, and you will have times where all the confidence you built up will be ripped from you and you will feel like a USER. My advice, push though it, and if all else fails TRY HARDER!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    Quote Originally Posted by OSCP_in_Training View Post
    Thanks everyone for posting so much reference material and insight! I'll be starting on February 5th with 60 days and can't wait to begin. Asides from being a bit intimidated and nervous about python and custom scripts, I'm very much looking forward to the challenge.
    Best of luck. Please keep us updated on your progress.

New year, new challenge. I just extended my lab time for (15) days, so I will be getting back into action starting today. Anyone else playing around in the labs?

rogue2shadow - What is your nick or handle on IRC? Are you in the offsec channel? Good luck everyone!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    Thanks for the helpful links!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NS21 View Post
    I just took the OSCP exam on Thursday (the 29th - 30th) and I got word on Saturday that I passed!
    We must have been typing at the same time as I don't know how I could have missed your post. Anyways, congratulations on the pass and thanks for sharing your experience. I will certainly check some of the links you provided.

Great job!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SilentBreakSecurity - DarkSideOps, CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , C|EH , PA ACE
    Quote Originally Posted by NS21 View Post

To sum it up.... snip.....
    Thanks! this was pretty much the area (Programming) where this exam was sort of turning me off. I totally 100% understand the programming part of this course and I am willing to study for it. However it was getting a little frustrating with all the sites and books people on here were reference as a necessity to study for this exam. I am glad to know the course covers enough for one to understand the programming concepts. I am somewhat familiar with programing myself only from writing small code on course projects when i was in college, however it was never my passion so i never went hardcore study sessions on programming, however i can understand more or less what its doing if i buckle down and trace it out.

Thanks for the review, i wil be looking further into this towards the end of 2012, but i will be picking at the topics throughout the year , learning little by little as i go.
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 03-22-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    2017 Goals: Dark Side OPS: Custom Pentesting (complete), eCPPT (in progress), LFCS (in progress), OSCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GPEN, GCIH, SFCP, CPT, CEH, QND
    I am severely tempted to try this, and sooner rather than later. I could take the time off work but obviously not enough to get through a full 30 day attempt... And the price is restrictive, since I am trying to save this year...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    How is everyone doing with the OSCP so far? I'm starting in about 2 weeks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    Can't believe I haven't responded to this thread in a while lol. I'm "rogue2shadow" in #offsec. The course has definitely been a reality check and I've gained tons of new strats and tidbits as a result of being forced to fend for myself in their arena. My schedule is not the greatest but when I get the time to lab, I'm all in and intensely focused. Like everyone else, I highly recommend the 60 days or more because life happens and believe me it will happen again and again and again...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    I'm going to buy the 60 day lab and maybe add on the additional 15 or 30 days if needed. I'm pretty pumped.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuckTheFankees View Post
    I'm going to buy the 60 day lab and maybe add on the additional 15 or 30 days if needed. I'm pretty pumped.
    That's excellent news! We look forward to hearing about your experience. I've been in contact with r2s through IRC and I know he is lovin' it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    I'm starting March 4th..wha wha! lol

Ill probably review buffer overflows and python over the next 2 weeks before I start.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

March 4th? That's almost here! I'm sure you will have lots of fun. If you do connect to IRC, feel free to PM me at any time. I may be away from the keyboard at times, but my psyBNC logs all the messages.
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 03-22-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    I figured I would share this with you guys - I just extended my lab time tonight for (60) days. This is the last time I will be extending it, so I will definitely try my very best for the next two months or so. Hope to see you on IRC!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    How many days did you buy at first?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    I bought (30) days initially, but I would strongly recommend going for at least (90) days.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CEHv7, CCNA, Security+ 70-290, 70-291 CCNA:S
    Where are you guys? How is the course?

I am waiting for my inscription, how long did you wait for the email to set the payment? I am still waiting for that email in my job email, I set 90 days...... I am very excited.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    I decided to study for the CCNA before I start OSCP...which has definitely helped my networking knowledge SO much. I can't wait until I can start.

I almost signed up one day and it took about a couple of hours for me to received the registration email.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I already registered and payed, I will begin March 17, the fun will begin....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Member
    How does this course compare with Certified Ethical Hacker from EC Council?

And - how much perl do you have to know for this to be confident? I struggle with perl -
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I took the CEH with ISSA, it teach you a lot but we never go deep and never know where to go. I read a lot of OSCP and everybody talk about the lab, lab and lab, that you try to hack the machines and the exam is more difficult. So when you mix the CEH theory plus the OSCP practice you see a pritty good picture.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    Figured it's time for an update - How is everyone progressing? As for me, I have been successful at infiltrating Offensive-Security's lab environment and have compromised all of their servers. I am currently working on documenting my work and plan on taking the exam very, very soon.

This course has been a blessing in disguise and has forced me to give up quite a bit of sleep. I recommend documenting everything the first time around so that you do not have to come back to it. Again, I recommend getting at least 60, 90 days to start if not longer.

I shall keep everyone posted once my ego gets crushed by the OSCP exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    For me I am stuck with a script to enumerate the users in a smtp service (VRFY), I've been trying to make it work and I will not move until I make it. I am glad I took the 90 days because it is taking a lot of time but it is good.....

I like to do all the exercises and the extra mile, slow but secure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 First 12 3456 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks