+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 First ... 56789
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCP,MSCA,CCNA(R&S)(Wireless),ASPT,OSCP
    Hi jm0202 & whook

My lab will start next Sunday 10-6-2013 . Any recommendation before starting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member
    well u will need to spend a lot of time in the labs...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, GMON
    I am finishing up my first month on the course. Have to take a couple week break to move and hopefully find a new job, but will be back at it as soon as I can.

I would give a couple bits of advice, along with all the great reading on here.

Just start with Kali, not backtrack. The manual and videos are a little bit dated, so many of the commands won't work exactly as they are in the course, so might as will start working with the current versions. I started with a bt5r3 vm that I installed from the iso, and ended up having to start over due to an update the broke something with metaspolit / pearl - wasted half a day trying to fix it, before giving up and downloading the prebuilt vm. Then had a bit of trouble getting tftp or ftp or something to work right, and decided to switch to Kali. You can use kali on the test as well, so no issue there.

Keep in mind this is not a step by step course where the teacher walks around the room, shows you where to click and pats you on the back for a job well done. It is however, a great framework for you to teach yourself pen testing. The videos and lab book will get you started, but it will be up to you to actually modify and apply that content. As the material is a little bit dated, I would recommend doing the labs, then exploring that area for other tools as well. So, while the course might go over pwdump and fgdump, you might want to use wce or even powershell in the labs. Again, don't get too caught up or attached to what is shown in the courseware, and be ready to do your own research on the finer points of each section.

As for prep - I would go ahead and get your vm setup - apache, ftp, tftp, ssh, etc and know where stuff is located, like the windows binaries. Get a system down for recording your activities in the lab - you need to keep track of a lot of bits of info for each machine. I use evernote on my host laptop, and just copy and paste. Plus use windows snipping tool. Dual screens is a big help here. Also, brush up on your general linux skills.

Going from knowing that x can be done, to actually doing x in a real environment is a great learning experience for sure. Like "just pop a shell, dump the hash, break the hash, and you are good" sounds a whole lot easier then actually going through the steps without metasploit.

Even if you never want to be a pen tester, this class will teach you a lot about security - so far, it has been way more informative then all the study I did for CISSP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    @Wes allen .

Thank you , this what i was thinking about "Kali" switching to Kali when i downloaded BT5r3 and i tried to update it many errors comes up . I did the "Attack-Secure Penteration Testing " and got the certificate , the developer of the course used BT5r1 and many tools was not working specially webapp tool " W3af " so i completed the course using Kali , also i purchased " Justin Hutchens " Kali Linux - Backtrack Evolved course for quick switch from BT to Kali .Do u advice me to use the VM or Hard disk installation . So thank you again .

@jm0202

Thanks for reply back , i took 60 day's lab time and i can manage about 3 to 4 hours per day ,,,what scar me really the module 6 " Exp Dev " .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, GMON
    I use a vm, so that I can use two monitors - I wasn't able to get both working under mint, so didn't try to do it with Kali, though it might be more about my crappy video card then anything else. Two monitors really helps my workflow - one external with full screen vmware player running kali, and the win7 laptop lcd with evernote, firefox and the lab guide pdf.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

Certifications
    @wes allen

Many Thanks , already managed 2 monitors with my ATI card
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member
    Yeah me too. So far i am ready to go the dev network
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 First ... 56789