+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... Last

Certifications
    <- do not define you.

Default Calling all Penetration Testing with BackTrack (PWB)/OSCP students!

Judging from recent comments made by some of us here at TE, it appears that some of us will be either starting or resuming our OSCP studies in January, 2012. This thread is being created as a placeholder so that we can bounce ideas off each other, motivate one another, and share our experience as we go through this painful, yet fascinating course.

A few words of advice from someone who has already started the course:

1-) Familiarize yourself with Metasploit here.
    2-) Familiarize yourself with bash scripting here.
    3-) Familiarize yourself with python here.
    4-) Familiarize yourself with the exploit development process by going over some of these tutorials, courtesy of the Corelan Team.
    5-) DO all lab exercises, even the extra miles.
    6-) Divorce vulnerability scanners. You will NOT be allowed to use them in the exam, so they will be of no use to you.
    7-) The use of the Metasploit Framework (MSF) is limited in the exam, so ensure you are NOT dependent on it for exploitation of different targets.
    Reset lab machines prior to running a port scan on them. Run different port scans TCP / UDP, and do not rely on the standard ports used by tools such as NMAP.
    9-) Lab machines exist for a reason, so do not be afraid to attack them in any way, shape or form.
    10-) Think outside of the box and do additional research when necessary.
    11-) Spend as much time as you can in the labs and try to pivot to other networks.
    12-) When in doubt, Google is your best friend.
    13-) Persistence is the key. Do not get discouraged if something does not work as expected. Also look for different avenues to attack certain targets.
    14-) Document EVERYTHING. Documentation CAN provide you with the few extra points needed to pass the certification exam.
    15-) Last, but not least…HAVE FUN!

Please be mindful of the NDA when positing comments in this thread. It’s OK to be helpful, but let’s be ethical and professional about it. Let the PAIN…error…FUN begin!!!
    Last edited by ipchain; 12-13-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
    I will be registering for January 2012 time frame. I appreciate you posting some links and advice, I will check that out when I get home tonight.

I am ready for the challenge!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SilentBreakSecurity - DarkSideOps, CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , C|EH , PA ACE
    I might look into this after i finish my CCNP Security in late 2012. Defenitely have to get some PEN testing experience/studies under my belt for security purposes. Thanks for the information and guidance.
    2017 Goals: Dark Side OPS: Custom Pentesting (complete), eCPPT (in progress), LFCS (in progress), OSCP (Ah next year...)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    Already started as of 12/10/11 (going for 90 days). This is going to be a painful one
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SilentBreakSecurity - DarkSideOps, CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , C|EH , PA ACE
    Dont make it out to be painful, that means you dont like it and there for you shouldn't even waist your time my friend. You should enjoy and love every minute you spend learning the material you are interested in. Unless you are forced to study it i guess.
    2017 Goals: Dark Side OPS: Custom Pentesting (complete), eCPPT (in progress), LFCS (in progress), OSCP (Ah next year...)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Is python big in the pentest scene?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisone View Post
    Dont make it out to be painful, that means you dont like it and there for you shouldn't even waist your time my friend. You should enjoy and love every minute you spend learning the material you are interested in. Unless you are forced to study it i guess.
    I think you are misconstruing my intent with that statement; I've been looking forward to this experience since I started in information/cybersecurity. "Painful" references the "mind-wracking" to come. People who know me personally understand how driven I am to succeed and how ready I am to engage in courses of this magnitude.
    Last edited by rogue2shadow; 12-14-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA CMFF
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    Python is fairly big as you will find that a lot of tools are written in it (FastTrack is a big one that comes to mind)....
    WIP:
    MS in Legal Studies - Drexel University
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ah i gotcha! it just seemed like you were depressed or sadden to crunch those hours out lol. Anyways Goodluck! should be a fun ride!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    It is pretty big. Do a 'find / | grep *.py' in BackTrack and look at the output.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisone View Post
    I might look into this after i finish my CCNP Security in late 2012. Defenitely have to get some PEN testing experience/studies under my belt for security purposes. Thanks for the information and guidance.
    Good luck with CCNP:Security and I hope you do decide to take this course, for it's just phenomenal!
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 03-22-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: consecutive posting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Grinch View Post
    Python is fairly big as you will find that a lot of tools are written in it (FastTrack is a big one that comes to mind)....
    pytbull is another one.

Good luck you guys. I am going to have to gather some funds up before I can take this one (maybe in the early summer I'll have it). It is on my to do list. I think all security folks need to have knowledge of both sides of the force (like darth plagrius)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA CMFF
    I definitely would like to do this at some point, but this year coming up is not going to be the year that's for sure. I think I am going to take the next year to get a firm base in the various things you should know before taking this course. If I am going to shell out that amount of money, I want to know I did everything I needed to prior to get the most from the course and to pass the first time
    WIP:
    MS in Legal Studies - Drexel University
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Is there an oscp equivalent to network pen testing?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

OSCP is a network pen testing course. Alternatives are SANS 560 (GPEN) and CPT.
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 03-22-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by ipchain View Post
    OSCP is a network pen testing course. Alternatives are SANS 560 (GPEN) and CPT.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMurray View Post
    Yes. I did not finish all the labs, and I won't be taking the cert exam unless I get more lab time to complete the material and do a lot of extra studying. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime in my near future.

I should mention that the Offensive Security Penetration Testing with BackTrack (PWB) class is about application and operating system pen testing and not network pen testing. You will therefore be working with buffer overflows, shellcode exploits, fuzzing, debuggers, and generally learning how to own "root." There is very little in the way of network pen testing, and much of what there is isn't useful for, or can't be used on, the OSCP cert exam itself.

Just something to be aware of if your interests are more in network pen testing rater than app and OS pen testing.
    Oscp

If the class is more so towards os pen testing, I assume the test is as well?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    It isn't a class that's focused on breaking cisco gear and stuff. I think what ipchain means is that the class isn't focused on web application pen testing (CSRF and the like) and is more focused on things on the network (windows boxes, linux boxes, etc).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    Oscp

If the class is more so towards os pen testing, I assume the test is as well?
    The course deals with OS / application pen testing for the most part; however, it is still considered a 'network pen testing' course. From what I have been able to see 'network pen testing' is a broad term used to define the act of assessing and penetrating an organization's network with the ultimate goal of demonstrating risk. Attackers are ultimately after data, so finding a course solely on the 'network stuff (Routers, Switches, Firewalls, etc)' will be challenging, to say the least. OSCP/PWB covers network-based attacks such as ARP cache poisoning, although the exam is geared towards the OS / web application pen testing side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl8ckr0uter View Post
    It isn't a class that's focused on breaking cisco gear and stuff. I think what ipchain means is that the class isn't focused on web application pen testing (CSRF and the like) and is more focused on things on the network (windows boxes, linux boxes, etc).
    Thanks for clearing that up - that is exactly what I meant. The PWB course does touch on two major web application vulnerabilities: SQL Injection and Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), but it isn't focused on those two exclusively. Did I mention client-side attacks are included? Yes, even though you may have your routers and switches locked down, users normally represent the biggest risk!
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 03-22-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: consecutive posting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ipchain View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up - that is exactly what I meant. The PWB course does touch on two major web application vulnerabilities: SQL Injection and Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), but it isn't focused on those two exclusively. Did I mention client-side attacks are included? Yes, even though you may have your routers and switches locked down, users normally represent the biggest risk!
    There are a few router auditing tools in backtrack as well as packet crafting tools and and firewall/ids testing tools. It would be cool if those are hit on but it doesn't seem to be (according to the syllabus). Still I think that (as a network guy) it will be worthwhile to see how attacks on the network look. Do they allow you to do packet captures in the test lab?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    <- do not define you.
    Still I think that (as a network guy) it will be worthwhile to see how attacks on the network look. Do they allow you to do packet captures in the test lab?
    I agree. They allow you to do packet captures but no network-level attacks are permitted in the labs. If they were to allow you to do so, you may inadvertently break the network for all students. You are free to do those type of attacks in a controlled environment such as your home lab.
    Last edited by ipchain; 12-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Booo!!!! Lol. Well I just repurposed my home server to be a ESXi box so I guess I will be doing those types of attacks on my own.
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 03-22-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Thanks for clearing that up guys. I wish I had time to get into pentesting at this level but my job seems to be following the voice path more each day. Maybe when these projects are done I can start doing some of my own auditing internally. Ive always wanted to learn python too! Best of luck to you guy in Jan!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    FYI: OSCP is for application pen testing, not network pen testing. You will be hacking into network-aware software running on end-hosts, and not into the mid-point devices controlling a network.

And Python is very big in the hacking community that shows up at Defcon. Check out the Defcon Media Archives for presentations on all sort of hacking tools and techniques.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    Network+, CCNA, Security+
    I am little bit confused by what I saw on the website. They say after registration you will get to download all course materials and videos, get access to labs. Then they say that class meets every Sunday. So, do we actually have to go to a class? Connect to to some virtual class? Can we study on our own with course materials? Can anyone clarify that?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications

I think what they mean is each "session" (30,60,90) starts on a Sunday. Post registration you will get to choose from several start times based on your region and availability.

Good books! I'd also throw this one in the mix:
    http://www.amazon.com/Coding-Penetra.../dp/1597497290

Not being a programmer by any means, this book is quickly proving to be a great supplement to this course.
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 03-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks