+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last
  1. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA CMFF CCO CCPA
    You're definitely right on both fronts, it's a talking point and no recruiter will know of it. That being said, I do believe it will be more of an OSCP like cert soon enough. I got to see a talk from the security director at the Philadelphia Federal Reserve and he had said it was now a requirement (of his) that all members on his team be OSCP certified. Also, in some of the research they were doing (which I was stunned to hear they do security research) they were using python for rapid development. At the time, this cert hadn't been released though it had been advertised. I'm pretty sure he'd add it to his list of must haves.
    WIP:
    MS in Legal Studies - Drexel University
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Thanks to everyone who has posted so far!

I was looking for some reviews on this course before purchasing and you guys have been great with posting information. Thank you all for taking the time out to post your comments.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    Comptia A+, Network+, Security+, CDFE, PDTG-TSS, CISN admin, CSE-TRA, GIAC-GCIH, GMON, SMFE
    My review may start with this is not for beginners....first I want to tear out my eyeballs then fingernails.

Some motivation for SPSE is posting in this forum.

I lost a bit of interest due to the fun I am having with metasploit still. That being said something that I have found is a new tool to help me with the python scripting course. Just a basic word document of motivation.

Recently I started a basic word document with python technotes. I began the lectures again except taking more notes this time. I took notes from udemy, LPTHW and SPSE. Now I have just about made it out of the basics part again. That being said this technotes document is starting to form into something of a security book of spells that is helping motivate me. Maybe in the future we can trade spell books from other security wizards.

Communications can be a form of magic to some people.

Hope it helps

J:\>
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I have not finished the course yet so I cannot give a full review of the course. However, at this point, I would recommend the course to anyone trying to get into security or anyone trying to sharpen their programming skills in python. It is definitely not for beginners IMO. It will lose you by the second module if you are new to programming, again, IMO. It has been fun so far. I would warn people to visit the course web page if you are having trouble with the homework he gives. Also, I find myself going through all the module videos before attempting the homework in the module. Is anyone else doing that?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Paper cranes for everyone the_hutch's Avatar

Certifications
    BSIT (CNSS 4011, 4012) / Sec+, Net+, CFOI, CEH, ECSA, CHFI, CNDA, CISSP, OSCP
    Same here. I was surprised at how fast paced the course was. I took what I could from the course, but never took the exam. I will hopefully be able to apply some of the skills during my pursuit of OSCP, and then may come back later to grab the SPSE certification. Thanks for your thoughts though. Good to hear the perspective of someone as experienced as you are in the world of pentesting.
    Last edited by the_hutch; 02-22-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    I've rebegun my studies as I want to complete this before OSCP. I've just about done module one and will post a full review on the module once completed. I have a couple of side resources to use if I get stuck on things, but I definitely would like to get to know the language very well because you can do so much with it.
    WIP:
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    N+, A+, S+, CCENT, P+, CSSA, Datto Tier 2, MCTS Win 7 Config, CEH, CHFI, G2700, FCNSA, MCSA: 2012
    @the_Grinch have you picked up the Violent Python book yet? I was leafing through it recently and may grab it as something to read before this course. Along with the 5 million other things I want to do on my way to my MS and eventual OSCP...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    in limbo right now
    After having read all of the comments and knowing that I could fit what I know about programming on the head of a straight pin, where would you guys recommend starting to pick up some programming that will eventually lead me back to the security/pentesting track I want to eventually pursue?

Thanks,
    Gene
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Paper cranes for everyone the_hutch's Avatar

Certifications
    That's a tough one to answer man. All languages are going to have some similarities. Once you've learned a few of them, getting to know similar languages is a snap. So I'd recommend starting with one of each kind. My recommendations for getting started, though not necessarily in this order, are: (Note...there are a ton of different ways to approach this...these are just some suggestions)

- Batch or Bash scripting...(shell scripting is easy for most people because they've at least done some work in command prompt/terminal shells)

- Python or Powershell (Easy to learn object-oriented scripting languages for both Linux and Windows)

- SQL (Query Language)

- HTML (Markup language)

- Java (Development language)

- PHP (Server-side scripting)

That may seem like a lot...but once you get started, its hard to stop. And there is still a LOT of other languages to explore as well. C, C+, C++, C#, Perl, Ruby, BASIC, Visual BASIC, VBScript...so many others...

Really the best answer is take your pick...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Paper cranes for everyone the_hutch's Avatar

Certifications
    As far as PenTesting goes...you need to be able to read and decipher nearly all of them. However, I'd recommend proficiency in Python and Ruby. And, if doing web app testing, Java, PHP and SQL are definitely helpful too.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Certification Invigilator Forum Admin JDMurray's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    GSEC, EnCE, CISSP, SSCP, CEH (ANSI), CASP, CCNA, CCENT, CWSP, CWNA, CWTS, Security+, Server+, Network+, A+, DHTI+, PDI+, MSIT InfoSec
    Always remember that programming languages are tools; you must pick the right tool for the right job, and be aware of each tool's limitations.

Power shell and bash shell scripting are useless if you are using an OS that doesn't supports their respective shells. Java, Python, Ruby, and all .NET languages do not compile to native code, and require that run-time environments be installed before they can be used. SQL is meaningless unless you are working with relational databases. Javascript is tightly bound to the Web environment and, despite it's ability to encapsulate scripting languages, HTML is not a programming language at all.

To save yourself time and headaches, choose your tools wisely.
    Moderator of the InfoSec, CWNP, IT Jobs, Virtualization, Java, and Microsoft Developers forums at www.techexams.net
    --
    Blog: www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdmurray
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/jdmurray
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member
    Just wanted to share the good news that I am now a certified SPSE. Feels good - the exam was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Some of the class exercises were more difficult.

I was also quite a beginner to programming and Python - I just studied really hard. Think I put in like 20 hours per week. The SPSE really has helped me - I had a job interview last week and they naturally asked me questions on Python as I listed it as a skill. He asked me about parsing URLs for data and when I talked about BeautifulSoup etc. as in the course he was quite amazed. I am hoping I get the job. Till then off to working on the SecurityTube Linux Assembly class.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    Congrats man! Good luck on the job!
    WIP:
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member
    So I have had this course for a over a month now and have been setting aside about an hour each night to practice but feel like I am getting nowhere. How long did it take for you guys to finally get it to click? I can decipher whats going on but having a really hard time actually doing the exercises. IE stringing thing together. is this normal? I have also done most of learn python the hard way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem87 View Post
    So I have had this course for a over a month now and have been setting aside about an hour each night to practice but feel like I am getting nowhere. How long did it take for you guys to finally get it to click? I can decipher whats going on but having a really hard time actually doing the exercises. IE stringing thing together. is this normal? I have also done most of learn python the hard way.
    Totally normal. I was new to programming in general and in the beginning the real uphill climb was to learn Python itself. Module 1 is good but definitely you need to include other books. My best resource was stackoverflow.com which is a programmers qa site.

Once I was comfortable with the language, the other modules were quick easy to handle. I had to pick up a little on operating systems like processes, threads etc. for Module 2, but too be honest that background is expected from someone doing a programming course.

Trust me - the first few weeks are more difficult, then it is all smooth. I've seen some students even make tools and post videos on them:

Spse Course Mitm Arp Spoof Tool Demo

Don't give up, I would rate this course as the OSCP for Infosec Programming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    I do have it and after reading the first chapter I will say it's not for the faint of heart. He moves very quickly through explaining Python, so I'd probably would go with Think Python before diving into Violent Python. I also have Gray Hat Python, haven't leafed through it just yet though.
    WIP:
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    Finished module one and it was pretty impressive. He eases you through the material and at first I thought perhaps this was a little too quick. But he goes on to explain that he's giving you the initial overview and will delve deeper into the various topics as you move along. He also stated something that my friend who is a Python developer (does it for a living) said, which was just start coding and then research as you get stuck. I think if colleges took this stand point, they produce more programmers as you can only do Hello World so many times before you want to kill yourself. On to module 2!
    WIP:
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    OSCP CISSP RHCA JNICA
    I also just finished module one. I think this course is going to be very good. I also think it would help someone who is going to do the OSCP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hello Folks,

Just registered for SPSE Certification will keep everyone posted on the preparations
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    eCPPT, RHCSA, RHCE, RED HAT EX405, EX407
    I"ve just finished the 3rd module. Until here the course is great. As others have already said you need to know some basics or the course will be very hard BUT, while I'm not a programmer- just created some basics scripts as needed until now, solutions start to come to me.
    If you are like me and you like to learn by doing then this is the course for you. I think that anyone who gets this course will be a very good at scripting in Python even if he doesnt work in infosec.
    In my opinion this is how a scripting course for a sys/net admin should be structured. Take the LPTHW first and you should become quite good after you finish this course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Member

Certifications
    CISSP, OSCP, GWAPT, IAM
    I purchased this course last April, right after starting the OSCP. I need to get started back on this soon. That's on my to do list after I finish the eLearnSecurity Web App Pen Testing course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by Bodanel View Post
    I"ve just finished the 3rd module. Until here the course is great. As others have already said you need to know some basics or the course will be very hard BUT, while I'm not a programmer- just created some basics scripts as needed until now, solutions start to come to me.
    If you are like me and you like to learn by doing then this is the course for you. I think that anyone who gets this course will be a very good at scripting in Python even if he doesnt work in infosec.
    In my opinion this is how a scripting course for a sys/net admin should be structured. Take the LPTHW first and you should become quite good after you finish this course.
    I agree. I love the course but it is module 3 that can end up confusing people. It is the only module that is frustrating/confusing, however. I have been working on the course off/on since the middle of February. It is the best bang for your buck for programming. I just wished the site was a little better.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd update my original one. Starting up again with the plan to have this cert done by Feb 1st. I'll keep everyone updated on each of the modules as I complete them.
    WIP:
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, GCIA
    This is on my short list for Q1 of 2015. Glad you are resurrecting the thread
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Looking forward to it! My SANS course went through Scapy, which I believe is also covered in the SPSE. Good stuff.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks