+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    See profile - 20 so far
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooseLife View Post
    Nice! Congratulations!

I noticed you have quite a collection of certs - what do you do if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm the guy with a target on his back putting out fires.

But seriously though, I'm a GRC Manager. I make sure we have our audits running smoothly, take care of any issues, prep the IT teams, internally assess security practices, do strategy, deal with exceptions, make sure internal audit is happy, give guidance on multiple topics, and say no to the use of Dropbox. I also deal with privacy issues too.

Careerwise, I'm looking to do something around the IT director or CISO/Deputy CISO level, or Chief Security Architect. Though I'm happy with where I'm at - lots of good career progression and development, and support for training/certs/school.

I go for the certs not because I want to have a lot of letters behind my name, but because I'd rather keep learning. Like I've posted before, this year, CCSK, maybe CEH, and next year ISSAP/CBCP/GCIH/etc... I would say that the certs show more of a desire to learn and keep current, rather than skill - skill is proven on the job.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    BCSc Network Security, VCP, MCSA:Sec, CCNA:Sec, GIAC GSEC, Sec+, ITIL-f
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodBishop View Post
    I'm the guy with a target on his back putting out fires.
    Sounds like a fun job

I'm a GRC Manager.
    Interesting, I did not know such a role existed. That makes perfect sense given your cert credentials. In our company those functions are spread between CFO, Privacy officer, IT Manager, and a person focusing on ISO and auditing.

the certs show more of a desire to learn and keep current, rather than skill - skill is proven on the job.
    That's a good way to put it, especially the latter part.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CIPM, CIPP/US, CIPT, CIPP/E
    Congrats!!!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    CPP, CISSP, ISSAP, ISSMP, SSCP, CIPP/US, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, A+, Network+, iNet+, Server+, Security+, CASP, GSEC, GCIH, GCFW, GREM. GCFA, MCP ..
    To Goodbishop:

I will be taking one of the official classes by IAPP soon, hopefully it has advanced better and maybe improved.

You indicated that you purchaed the practice exam, as well as passing the CIPM exam (congrats).
    Without breaching the confidentiality of the exam, and of course in retrospect, what can you say about the usefullness of the practice exam as far as helping you with the real exam?

As far as comments about the $5K for the certification, I read that blog, and I read your calculations, and although I have to speculate, the blog mentioned conferences and travel.

In one guess, if you take the training as part of a conference (I will be taking an independent class, not conference related) then a conference could be expensive, expecially if you have to travel to get there. However, if that is where he got the number, I am not sure whether is is fair in general to add in those costs as a general rule, although that might have been the route he took.

In another guess, one has to look at the Total Cost of ownership of a certification. As you did, by adding in the IAPP annual dues, because IAPP still does not charge recertification fees (AMF as some other organizations call them) - IAPP requires you to remain a dues paying member in good standing. However, from a TCO of the certification, one has to also add in the costs of maintaining the CPE credits, which there are free opportunities out there, but also CPE's from conferences, seminars and training. [the blog also mentioned training in the costs, the prep class I will be going to is $500+). Keep in mind that IAPP uses a 3 year cycle, so it is CPE per year, plus annual dues x 3 for the entire cert cycle. Keep in mind that usually the CPE for the CIPP and many other security certs may qualify for the CIPM, so CPE are sometimes reusable across different certs.

My point in this is that obtaining and maintaining (keeping) a cert has many costs, while most only look at the cost to get there and don't see the maintenance costs.

Thank your for your information on this cert.
    Last edited by Overcertified; 10-09-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Just my 2 cents - I can't comment on the CIPM practice since I am still in midst of procrastination. But the practice tests for the Foundation and US were pretty good. At $25, it's a bargain although the practice tests are very short. Good luck.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    See profile - 20 so far
    Quote Originally Posted by Overcertified View Post
    To Goodbishop:

I will be taking one of the official classes by IAPP soon, hopefully it has advanced better and maybe improved.

You indicated that you purchaed the practice exam, as well as passing the CIPM exam (congrats).
    Without breaching the confidentiality of the exam, and of course in retrospect, what can you say about the usefullness of the practice exam as far as helping you with the real exam?

As far as comments about the $5K for the certification, I read that blog, and I read your calculations, and although I have to speculate, the blog mentioned conferences and travel.

In one guess, if you take the training as part of a conference (I will be taking an independent class, not conference related) then a conference could be expensive, expecially if you have to travel to get there. However, if that is where he got the number, I am not sure whether is is fair in general to add in those costs as a general rule, although that might have been the route he took.

In another guess, one has to look at the Total Cost of ownership of a certification. As you did, by adding in the IAPP annual dues, because IAPP still does not charge recertification fees (AMF as some other organizations call them) - IAPP requires you to remain a dues paying member in good standing. However, from a TCO of the certification, one has to also add in the costs of maintaining the CPE credits, which there are free opportunities out there, but also CPE's from conferences, seminars and training. [the blog also mentioned training in the costs, the prep class I will be going to is $500+). Keep in mind that IAPP uses a 3 year cycle, so it is CPE per year, plus annual dues x 3 for the entire cert cycle. Keep in mind that usually the CPE for the CIPP and many other security certs may qualify for the CIPM, so CPE are sometimes reusable across different certs.

My point in this is that obtaining and maintaining (keeping) a cert has many costs, while most only look at the cost to get there and don't see the maintenance costs.

Thank your for your information on this cert.
    Thanks!

My thoughts on the practice exam was that it was a quick sanity check to see where I was with regards to the test. I would not view it as a source of record for questions, but more of a general "here is where I am with regards to questions that are similar to the test". On a scale of 1 to 5, I would rate the usefulness of the practice exam as about a 3. It did give me some areas to further study before I took the test.

You do mention the CPEs - that is true, you do need to obtain 10 CPEs per year. For me, I do enough CPEs for the ISC2 and ISACA certs that I have that they apply to the IAPP certs - plus I only do the free version for CPEs, which is why they weren't included in my cost.

One note - you mention a 3 year cycle, but looking at the IAPP CPE policy, there isn't a cycle, but rather 10 CPEs per year. I think if you don't submit your CPEs then you are on a 90 day grace period, then you lose your cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    CPP, CISSP, ISSAP, ISSMP, SSCP, CIPP/US, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, A+, Network+, iNet+, Server+, Security+, CASP, GSEC, GCIH, GCFW, GREM. GCFA, MCP ..
    I too hold ISACA and ISC2 (and many others as well, as per my moniker) and most of those are 3 year cycle. You are right it is 10 per year, 90 day grace, and there is also a one time 2-year catchup.

Since my last post, I actually received a discount code (100%) for the practice test, and I just tried it, and didn't do too bad. 15 out of 22. Almost a 70, not quite - but with no study or reading, just taking the practice test COLD. I bought their (IAPP) book, and will read it and I have the class coming up soon as well. We will see where it goes.
    Meanwhile I am also interested in ISC2 new forensics cert, maybe that will be next.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    See profile - 20 so far
    Yep, your cert count is awesome!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member

Certifications
    I am not trying to fit in the shoes of GoodBishop or Overcertified, but I just got a new cert - CIPP/E. I deal in EU and EEA privacy a lot, so this is great for me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    See profile - 20 so far
    Congrats!!! Way to go. That is a interesting cert, and the landscape is changing rapidly in the EU, especially with the Snowden articles.

If you don't mind me asking - what did you do to study? Did you just read European Privacy: Law and Practice for Data Protection Professionals, or did you in addition read the global survey book?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member

Certifications
    Thanks. I did not use any additional resource. I read the European Privacy: Law and Practice for Data Protection Professionals (cover to cover) and invested an additional 25.00 in the Certification Practice Test, just to get a feel for the type of questions. I spent a little more time studying for this test compared to my CIPP/US or CIPP/IT certs. The EU landscape is a bit more complex.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    See profile - 20 so far
    As a side note, IAPP just released the online training for the CIPM. https://www.privacyassociation.org/c...am#preparation
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    C|CISO, CISSP, CISSP-ISSMP, CISM, CIPP/IT, CASP,Certified Scrum Master, SSCP, COBIT v4.1, ITIL v3, ISFS, HDI-SCD, HDI-SCM, ITSM, Mobile App Security+,
    Just curious, how do you get discount codes for the CIPM practice test? I'm working on the CIPM. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    See profile - 20 so far
    Good question. I don't know - maybe shoot IAPP a tweet or a email.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member Registered Member
    GoodBishop,is it possible for you to share the foundation books for CIPP,i plan to do the exam
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    See profile - 20 so far
    Sorry chief, I sold those ages ago. You'll have to get them from the IAPP website. It's worth getting through.

And if you're implying that "share" means "pdf and send to me", that's a big no.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member

Certifications

FREE access to online training for IAPP Certification Foundation and Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM) training; Use this promotion code to register for the Training: APF2014
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Information Assurance

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2000, MCSA 2003, 74-409, MCITP:SA, CISSP
    Perfect thanks and the code worked.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member

Certifications

Default http://www.pcpd.org.hk/privacyconference2014/files/2_hughes_presentation.pdf

Yes, that's good. This code was the last slide in a presentation given at an IAPP conference. Taken from the last slide (see url in title).

Once you get into the training, there is a resource tab where you can d/l the slide deck w/notes
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    Wow. Thanks overcertified!!! Just used it to get the free training. That's an amazing value. CIPM wasn't on my radar for the near future but that just changed. Would be extremely beneficial for working at my current firm.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Stayed at a Holiday Inn.. the_Grinch's Avatar

Certifications
    BS-CST CISSP GMON MPSC Security+ XRY 1+2+3 XAMN AAA AA
    Thanks for the code! I got the Foundation course as I think this cert will be helpful in my current position!
    WIP:
    MS in Legal Studies - Drexel University
    Mobile Forensics
    Kotlin
    Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member
    Thanks for the code. I registered for both.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISA, GIAC 2700, MCSE:Security, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Security, CCENT, Sec+, Net+, ITIL v3 Foundations
    I must be losing my mind, where do you sign up?

edit never mind, pulled my head out.
    Last edited by colemic; 06-20-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP-ISSMP, CRISC, PMP, GCIH, GCFE, GLEG, CIPM, MCSE, CCNA, C|EH, CNA 5.1, ITIL-F, N+, A+
    Quick update to the thread... I took and passed the CIPM today. It was comprised of 57 questions. I used the green book and the practice test to study for this exam. I got an 80% which is not bad, since I forgot about the test date completely. Thank goodness for Gmail calendar reminders or I would have been out a few bucks Good luck all!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    See profile - 20 so far
    Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks