+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    Security+

Default Passed SYS401 & questions about next moves.

Hello, it is my first time posting on this forum, but I did use resources from this forum when studying for Security+.

So first thing first, in case anyone was interested, I got my certificate on Sept. 11, 2016 with 806/900. [Do not discuss your exam with our members]. I am currently a 3rd year university student, trying to major in Computer Security, and I have no IT background whatsoever so this certificate was my first milestone. I studied around 3~4 hours a day for 4 weeks and studied off of various resources.

My question is what certificate should I be aiming for now? I know Network+ is an option but some told me that taking the Network+ will not grant me any CE Credits? Also, I do know there are multiple certifications with different brands (ie. Cisco), so what would be a good next step?

If anyone has any questions about SYS401, I would be happy to answer but I'm sure there are enough experts on this forum that will be more helpful haha.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 09-22-2016 at 05:41 PM. Reason: clean up
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    BSc, MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, N+, S+, CEH, CISSP
    What are you currently studying and where in IT do you want to work? Probably helpful to know that first before suggesting the next cert.

What are the types of PBQ questions you get in these exams?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+
    You probably want to aim to get your CASP if you're choosing to stay the COMPTIA route. Ofcourse CISSP is another option, but CASP from what I am hearing is a more straight forward type of test, unlike Sec+, lol. If you have any pointers for someone trying to test here soon shoot me a message. Good luck on your future endeavors!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    Congrats!
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS in Security Information, Sec+,A+, Server+, Network+, Certified Network Defense Profesional (CNDP), Certified Cybercrime Forensic Investigator
    Congratsss!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    A+; Network+; Security+, GISF
    Well done!

As I understand Comptia's certification process, you are correct - Net+ will not count towards renewing your Security+

CASP is a good next step if you're staying CompTIA, as ultm8mind suggested. SSCP from ISC2 would also be a good intermediate cert to look at next.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CASP, SEC+, NET+, A+, NST, CST, ACE...
    Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member

Default What Helped

What helped you to pass? I have taken it twice. The first time I got a 722. The second time I got a 695. I have been using Darill Gibson's book and am passing the questions there. What other materials did you use to pass?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    Security+
    So first of all, thank you for your replies. [DO NOT DISCUSS YOUR EXAM SPECIFICS WITH OUR MEMBERS]. I am currently in 3rd year studying Computer Securities. As for specific jobs, I am not entirely sure what I'm looking for.. that's why when the time comes I want to be prepared and that's mainly why I want to build up my knowledge through obtaining certificates. I am leaning towards either CASP or CCENT as of now, and most likely will make a decision soon so I can squeeze minimal studying during school term at least.

Studying wise, I first went through all the Exam Objectives once using professor Messer's videos, writing all the information down as I went. Doing that helped me understand at least the overall concept of each objective. Then I read Darril Gibson's textbook fully, paying close attention to "Remember This" sections. Lastly, I used Darril Gibson's exam prep package on his website which helped me quite a bit. Those three are the only materials I really used, other than memorizing the acronyms, port numbers, and hash/encryption algorithms.
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 09-22-2016 at 05:41 PM. Reason: clean up
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    Congrats
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSc, MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, N+, S+, CEH, CISSP
    Congrats. CISSP is something to aim for but you will need 5 years experience to become certified after passing the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    The Net+ will renew your previous CompTIA exams if you take them within 3 years of the most recent one.
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNET, CCNA R&S, ITIL, MCP, Security+
    Bravo Zulu!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MTA 98-365 MTA 98-366 & MTA 98-367 C)SS & C)VA & MCSA Windows 8 & MCTS Configuring Active Directoy 70-640. Comptia Sec+, VCA-DCV, C)PEH,C)ISSO
    congrats
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks