+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, Security +, CCNP:Swtich

Default assed Security+ 9/19/2016 !!!

I passed yesterday with a score of 780/900 and I am not ashamed of that score. I have worked in a NOC environment (admittedly) most of it on the back-end, provisioning, etc but still. This test was much harder than the CCNA, I recently passed earlier this year. Make no mistake about it. You better have some knowledge of networking. I used Darril Gibson's book, while good, it's NOT enough to pass.

I encountered some question, that had me like, are you serious? I look at this is being so sheltered I guess but I stand by what I said. This isn't an entry level test. When you take, you better have a basic understanding.

What should you study?
    Technical, operational, and management controls
    VPN
    Off the wall, wireless scenarios
    Web based attacks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    Just a few...
    Congrats on your pass! Very surprised you found it more difficult than CCNA. Whats up next?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    Congrats! It's a beast of an exam. I think some people underestimate it because they see CompTIA as basic-entry exams, but the Security+ is definitely not one of them. Doing the Network+ exam before is very helpful to understand the networking concepts in the Sec+ exam. Welcome to the crew!
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+/LPIC-1, C|EH, GMON
    You really need a P before that first word, or a "c" instead of those 2 "s".
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ACAS,Comp TIA Security +, Novell CNE, HDI Customer Service, ITIL Foundation, MTA
    assed? aced? what? Congrats.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS in Security Information, Sec+,A+, Server+, Network+, Certified Network Defense Profesional (CNDP), Certified Cybercrime Forensic Investigator
    Congratss on your *ass you miss the P
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GCFE, GCED, GCIH, CISSP, CCSP, and others that should never be mentioned
    HAHA! Based on the title I though you were bragging about failing. Remember: never forget to "P" at the very beginning. LOL

Congrats then!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Security+, ACMT, CASP, CEH, CCNA R&S, A.S. & B.S. Cyber Security Systems/Digital Forensics, M.S. Cyber Security
    CCNA was probably easier for you because you work in the networking field, that being said, congrats! and what's next?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+ and CSA+; MCSA: Windows 7, ITIL Foundations
    Congrats on the pass. It is a challenging exam, so good on you for conquering it.

@cyberguypr...I always recommend that before an exam. Too funny.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. cbd

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+
    Congrats on the pass! Totally agree...it was a hard test for me too. I got a 781.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    70-461, ITIL V3 F, ITIL OSA, ITIL ST
    Reminds me of Requiem of a Dream.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    Thanks for all the support. Yeah, I tried to edit the title with little success. Anyway, regarding my career path. I have been in the IT field since I was 18. I am now 36 and most of that time has been in a NOC environment. With my experience, I am doing pretty well, but now I want more of a challenge. I also want and know I can make more money. So, security has always interested me.

From my research there appears to be two competing paths. One suggests going down the networking (R/S) route until the CCNP level, and then focus on the security side. I can see that argument, because I do believe you need a foundation in networking. Also, if all else fails, you will 100% find a job doing networking admin/engineering work. The second line of thinking is going straight for the security certs. My problem with that track is I don't have the experience with SOC methods, tools, etc. It seems now, I may have to take a Tier 1 SOC level job and build the experience. I will be honest with you, that right now or probably will never be an option. So, I don't know.

I will take remaining of the week off to think some things out. Coming Monday though, I will be back on that grind, on whatever track I choose. I would love to hear all suggestions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalabaster View Post
    You really need a P before that first word, or a "c" instead of those 2 "s".
    Well played.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks