+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    Network+

Default Security+ vs Network+

Hello all,

Currently studying for Security+ and I am wondering, difficulty level wise how is the Security+ vs the Network+?

Someone who has taken both RECENTLY.

Thanks.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Honestly, I skipped Net+. Didn't really see the value in it, but I did read the book. Sec+ builds on concepts from Net+, but in a security sense (duh?). Not all of it is technical, which makes it easier in some ways. Security is just a different realm from other areas of IT.

Security+ is no joke though for those with less than 2 years experience. I believe CompTIA is making their exams harder, because in the past they were often laughed at. It's a great stepping stone to the CISSP. You can pass Sec+ with ~month of consistent studying. I do hear it's easier than Net+ from some people though.

Read Darril Gibsons book if you haven't already, watch Professor Messers videos (I wish I had), and make flashcards on every topic in each domain and be able to recite their purpose from memory.

On test day I highly suggest you mark the simulation questions first and come back to them after the multiple choice. 90 minutes may seem like enough time for 75+ questions, but time can run out quick if you aren't using it wisely.

Hope that helps
    2017 - Security+ (Done) | CISSP (In progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network+
    Helps a lot thank you!

Currently reading Mike Meyer's book and using CBT Nuggets videos. I also have the Glen Clark and New Horizon's Security+ books.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS in Security Information, Sec+,A+, Server+, Network+, Certified Network Defense Profesional (CNDP), Certified Cybercrime Forensic Investigator
    Skip Net+. If you want networks cert go directly with CCENT - CCNA.

Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    Quote Originally Posted by nisti2 View Post
    Skip Net+. If you want networks cert go directly with CCENT - CCNA.
    He's already done the Net+.

My personal opinion is that I found the Sec+ easier to grasp after doing the Net+ as it uses the same concepts. You will already have a basic understanding of networking, so you just need to focus on the more secure aspects of the exam.

Take a look at the objectives and see how it compares:

https://certification.comptia.org/do...ty-sy0-401.pdf
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks