+ Reply to Thread
  1. Infrastructure Engineer

Certifications
    MTA 365|366|369|Network+|Security+|MCP 70-410

Default Security+ exam this week!

Hi All,

So... My security+ exam is nearly upon me (Friday). I'm Feeling fairly confident despite not taking any practice tests yet. I have spent the past 3 weeks watching the CBTnuggets 501 course, i'm hoping to finish it today and take one of the practice tests. Does anyone have any advice for taking the Security+ 501 exam? I'm hoping it will be fairly similar to the Network+ in terms of how the questions are worded.

Thanks in advance
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF Win10 (70-698)
    Skip the simulation questions and leave them until last. They take the longest time to complete. Go with your gut instinct on a question you are unsure about and don't change your answer unless you are 100% sure. Most of the time your first response is correct. Don't spend more than 2 minutes on a question. If you are unsure, flag it and come back later. You may find a later question may help you answer a previous one.

Double check the CompTIA Sec+ objectives and make sure you are aware of all content that could show up in the exam. If you're taking practice tests I would strongly recommend MeasureUp if you're willing to pay, but if not you can try ExamCompass which are free. They're not as detailed or reliable but they can help you in weak areas.

https://certification.comptia.org/do...objectives.pdf

https://www.examcompass.com/comptia/...practice-tests
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 (70-740, 70-741, 70-742)
    2019/2020 Goals: MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (70-744) | RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Infrastructure Engineer

Certifications
    Unfortunately i failed the exam with 610/900. Very tough exam however it did highlight my weaker areas. Looking forward to getting stuck into the content again to focus on my weaker areas. It's a shame CompTIA don't provide a more in depth "exam report", i really like how the Microsoft ones breakdown each objective and provide you with a graph. However, with that being said i do know in my mind which areas I'm weak on!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    CNE NetWare 3/4/5.x, MCP, Security+
    Sorry you didn't pass this time, but it sounds like you have a great attitude and know what to focus on. Good luck on your next outing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ACAS,Comp TIA Security +, Novell CNE, HDI Customer Service, ITIL Foundation, MTA
    Buy Darril Gibson's book and online resources! Will help a TON!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Infrastructure Engineer

Certifications
    Thanks for the recommendation! I have bought Darril Gibsons 501 book and i'm going to make a start on it this weekend. In addition to Darrils book i'm also going to read the sybex study guide and watch a couple of pluralsight videos.
    Fingers crossed i can be ready for the exam within the next couple of weeks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member
    I aslo failed this week , sy0-501 exam. Got 700. But I must say it is extremely difficult exam. Not only study materials are enough. You need experience.

I will take another chance next month.

My advise is:

Study each and every exam objective and each and every terms.

In exam you will find everything in short form, like MTBF and MTTR. If you dont study everything very well you will be confused in the exam.

Some linux, programing and networking knowledge is also necessary.

Practice exam is not that much helpful.

Darril Gibson's book is good, but remember study each and every term without any confusion and hesitation. That's the only key to pass the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shafin365 View Post
    I aslo failed this week , sy0-501 exam. Got 700. But I must say it is extremely difficult exam. Not only study materials are enough. You need experience.

I will take another chance next month.

My advise is:

Study each and every exam objective and each and every terms.

In exam you will find everything in short form, like MTBF and MTTR. If you dont study everything very well you will be confused in the exam.

Some linux, programing and networking knowledge is also necessary.

Practice exam is not that much helpful.

Darril Gibson's book is good, but remember study each and every term without any confusion and hesitation. That's the only key to pass the exam.
    Hi!

I am sorry for your failed, but I want to ask:

Did get the new SY0-501 exam questions? It was said that the SY0-501 exam updated with many new questions, really???

Please give me your advise, I am going to take my SY0-501 exam next month.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member
    I took the SY0-401 this morning & barely passed with a 767. Disappointed, since I never just pass, but while taking the test, I realized that it assumes you have a certain body of knowledge & experience beyond just what's in the book (I used Darril Gibson's Full Access & his book). As an adult with ADHD, I work in a very challenging environment that my peers without ADHD struggle with. By the time I get home from work, I'm on the last hour of the last dose of meds I'm allowed to take & my job really fries me, so I really struggled with remembering things. For me it's not necessarily a question of understanding something, its a question of remembering what I'm supposed to understand, & I have alot of trouble putting things together in my head & relating different things that should relate to one another just from reading a bunch of concepts. I do very well in live, in person, instructor led courses where they really TEACH, but my only instructor resource was the live online class provided through my union, which really sucked. All they do is is show slides for each chapter that parrots whats in the book, they don't provide any useful charts or cheat sheets. Back when I took my Net Plus test, my instructor gave us so many useful handouts & helped put everything together. I scored an 860 on that exam. I got a 97 on the MTA 98-366 exam last year. I don't JUST PASS. but learning this way puts the entire burden on the student to mentally process information that to me, is all over the place as far as how it's presented. I felt sick to my stomach by the end of the exam & I thought I failed. I was thankful & aggravated at the same time that I only barely passed. But passing is passing, I guess. By the way, I had very few performance based questions & they were basic drag and drop.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member

Certifications
    Congrats, mrobles1! I've always prided myself on acing cert tests, but from everything I've read, I'll be happy if I pass by one point here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Infrastructure Engineer

Certifications
    Booked the exam again for Friday 13th April fingers crossed after i have finished reading Darril Gibsons book along with reviewing all of my other material i can pass!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | ITIL-F v3 | CIW-SDA | MTA: OSF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe21 View Post
    Booked the exam again for Friday 13th April fingers crossed after i have finished reading Darril Gibsons book along with reviewing all of my other material i can pass!
    Best of luck! I'll be following suit for an end of April exam myself. What are areas you felt you needed to focus on the most while you're studying for this exam?
    Degree: B.S. Information Technology - Security [In-Progress]
    Currently Working On: CCENT
    2018 Goals: CIW-SDA [X], Security+ [X], CCENT [ ], Project+ [ ], CCNA [ ]
    Future Certs: Linux+, CCNA Security, CCNP: Routing & Switching, CCNP: Security, MCSA: Win 10
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Infrastructure Engineer

Certifications
    My weaker areas are PKI, anything to do with wireless and authentication protocols. Like one of the other guys stated experience goes a long way with any of these exams. Unfortunately i do not have much experience on the above technologies. With the CompTIA exams you need to really learn the content and how you would implement it in a real life scenario to stand any chance in the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member

Certifications
    A+ (Expired)
    How do you guys keep paying for the certifications than failing then re-paying? I would guess that would cost a lot.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCSK, OCEJPAD, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, CCP, CASP, Mobility+, Storage+, OCP Java SE 8 Professional, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe21 View Post
    Did you buy the Security+ package that comes with a FREE retake? I usually do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Infrastructure Engineer

Certifications
    I'm on an Apprenticeship program and i get 2 free exam vouchers per exam. This is the last exam i need to pass before i finish my Apprenticeship
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member scaredoftests's Avatar

Certifications
    ACAS,Comp TIA Security +, Novell CNE, HDI Customer Service, ITIL Foundation, MTA
    Cram is crap. use Darril Gibson's book and online resources.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Infrastructure Engineer

Certifications
    Security+ round 2 tomorrow morning! I feel excited,nervous and confident at the same time. Really hoping i pass this time
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Infrastructure Engineer

Certifications
    Finally passed the exam with 773/900. very happy to get this one out the way with!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member scaredoftests's Avatar

Certifications
    Congrats!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Member

Certifications
    Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS in Security Information, Sec+,A+, Server+, Network+, Certified Network Defense Profesional (CNDP), Certified Cybercrime Forensic Investigator
    Exam Cram books are really nice :P.
    I used back in time for A+ and Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredoftests View Post
    Cram is crap. use Darril Gibson's book and online resources.
    2018 Year goals:
    CCNA Cyber Ops [Done!], VCP6-DCV @ Stanly, May 31
    CCENT-CCNA [1%]
    "They say my dream is to big, I say they think to small" Brad Sugars
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member

Certifications
    Security + ce, ITIL v3 Foundation
    Congrats on your pass!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | ITIL-F v3 | CIW-SDA | MTA: OSF
    Congrats on passing the exam! How was your experience the second time around? Did you feel more comfortable answering the questions?
    Degree: B.S. Information Technology - Security [In-Progress]
    Currently Working On: CCENT
    2018 Goals: CIW-SDA [X], Security+ [X], CCENT [ ], Project+ [ ], CCNA [ ]
    Future Certs: Linux+, CCNA Security, CCNP: Routing & Switching, CCNP: Security, MCSA: Win 10
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member

Certifications
    MTA; Network+; Security+
    I passed the Network+ September 2017 and was intending to take the Security+ just a few months after... Well here i am over 6 months later with the exam booked finally for two weeks time (not overly happy with myself on the wasted time)

I am using TotalSem / Mike Meyers videos and the book, along with Professor Messer's Study Guide so i am hoping this will be enough for me to be up to speed to pass , i am starting a new job next month as a Junior IS Analyst and i think it would be nice to get this out of the way before i start...

Is there anyone here who has done the Network+ and Security+ and would be willing to share what they thought of the 401? The Network+ was the first CompTIA exam i have taken and i really do not know what to expect in the Security+; lot's are saying that the Sec+ is a lot more "wordy" in comparison? I am not 100% convinced that i will pass the exam (probably more like 70%) as i feel i have a fair few gaps in my knowledge... I have been using the CompTIA CertMaster program and the questions seem a little easy, i am able to guess most of the answers that i don't 100% know?!

Congrats to everyone who has passed recently
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks