+ Reply to Thread
  1. D20

Certifications
    A+, MCP

Default Beginning my Security + studying

Hey everyone,
    I just started studying for Security+ and so far i plan on using the following:

Professor Messer videos & Coarse Notes PDF
    Udemy SY0-501 videos
    MeasureUp SY0-501 Practice questions and simulations
    Darril Gibson's Book and Online Resources
    Pocket Prep iPhone app for Security+

I'm just curious if anyone has an opinion on an order i should approach studying? I was thinking of starting with the videos and taking notes during them. Then maybe reading when i can at home and using the Pocket Prep at while i'm at work and then saving the MeasureUp questions for last.

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping to get this test passed by February.
    2018 Goals: Study for and pass Security+ (December)
    2019 Goals: Pass Server + and work toward CISSP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    CISSP, CCNA Security, CHFIv8, CEHv8, CCNA R&S, CCENT, MCSA Server 2008, Project+, Server+, Security+ce, Network+, A+
    I think February is a bit far out. Unless you're getting hammered through Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, I would shoot for really good practice scores within a couple months.

However, by February you should be golden.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University (Started 10/1/16)
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. D20

Certifications
    A+, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by PCTechLinc View Post
    I think February is a bit far out. Unless you're getting hammered through Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, I would shoot for really good practice scores within a couple months.

However, by February you should be golden.
    I agree. It is a bit far out, but I'm just shooting for that date. Working, plus life, kids, etc are my reasons haha!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+
    If February works for you, go for it. I passed, and studied (and studied) and thought I would never pass. But I did.
    Professer M got me through, but that was a tough test. Study Linux!

Good Luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    ITIL 2011
    Hello , am exactly in the same shoes just as you with little kid of 2 years old . Preparing for the exam is really a tough one . Although am not using udemy but am planing to use Professor Messers youtube videos and Darill Gibson . Hopefully that will see me through . Am doing that based on previous threads have read a good number of people used the 2 and they got through successfully .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | ITIL-F v3 | CIW-SDA | MTA: OSF
    You can do the readings first or the video, either way you'll still be circling back to the same material and reinforcing the knowledge you've gained. However, for most I think starting with the videos helps a lot. I'm a bit old school and I read first and watch videos later for clarity.
    Degree: B.S. Information Technology - Security [In-Progress]
    Currently Working On: CCENT
    2018 Goals: CIW-SDA [X], Security+ [X], CCENT [ ], Project+ [ ], CCNA [ ]
    Future Certs: Linux+, CCNA Security, CCNP: Routing & Switching, CCNP: Security, MCSA: Win 10
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF Win10 (70-698)
    Sounds like you have a pretty good plan there. For all my studies I tend to start with the video source and make notes throughout. Review the notes and compare what you know to the CompTIA Security+ Objectives. Trust me, this will help A LOT. I used it like a checklist, and when I was confident in a subject I ticket it off. These objectives can and will show up in the exam, so make sure you're clued up on them:

https://certification.comptia.org/do...objectives.pdf

The exam is factual-based, so you don't need to know extreme details. I would suggest taking ONE MeasureUp practice test after your studies, make notes on where you failed and study those points, then take another test. When you start scoring 80-90% you should be ready.

Seeing as your exam date is so far, why not chuck in another video source too? I recommend CBTNuggets, and you can use this to fill in any gaps you may be unsure about. It does cost for this course however, so it's up to you if you wanted to spend the bit extra.

Good luck with your studies.
    2018 Goal: 70-740
    2019 Goals: 70-741, 70-742 (MCSA: Windows Server 2016)

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS in Security Information, Sec+,A+, Server+, Network+, Certified Network Defense Profesional (CNDP), Certified Cybercrime Forensic Investigator
    Good luck with your study!
    Make sure to understand everything and take notes.
    2018 Year goals:
    CCNA Cyber Ops [Done!], VCP6-DCV @ Stanly, May 31
    CCENT-CCNA [1%]
    "They say my dream is to big, I say they think to small" Brad Sugars
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member

Certifications
    ITIL 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by D20 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Udemy SY0-501 videos

I'm just curious if anyone has an opinion on an order i should approach studying? I was thinking of starting with the videos and taking notes during them. Then maybe reading when i can at home and using the Pocket Prep at while i'm at work and then saving the MeasureUp questions for last.

Also there was a thread on this site where l read that some of the sy0-501 past questions are similar to the sy0-401.
    Please verify from the experts on here .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. D20

Certifications
    A+, MCP
    Thanks everyone for the answers so far!!! I really appreciate it! I tend to over-prepare i think. I just feel better doing this and then sitting for the test. There are some days i can only study for about 1 hour or so. Its a lot harder with kids and work, etc.

Does anyone have an opinion on purchasing this: https://gcgapremium.com/full-security-course-sy0-501/

Is it worth the $99?

I was going to get the book anyway, but just thought i would ask here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF Win10 (70-698)
    To be honest, because I've never heard of that source before and there are free resources already available, I would personally say no. If you look through the Security+ forums you will see resources that people use, and most of them tend to be the same (Professor Messer, CBT, Darril Gibson etc).

All I'll say is this, I used the free Professor Messer videos, the CompTIA Sec+ objectives, a bit of googling here and there and practicing some of the main aspects and threw in a couple of practice tests. Did all this and passed first time within a month. Trust me, you are spending a lot of money on the CompTIA exam and the content really isn't that hard, so I wouldn't suggest spending loads of money on the training resources. It's over-doing it.

(P.S. the Darril Gibson book is good. I would suggest buying that cheaper on Amazon without the additional bits from that website.)
    2018 Goal: 70-740
    2019 Goals: 70-741, 70-742 (MCSA: Windows Server 2016)

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. D20

Certifications
    A+, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post
    To be honest, because I've never heard of that source before and there are free resources already available, I would personally say no. If you look through the Security+ forums you will see resources that people use, and most of them tend to be the same (Professor Messer, CBT, Darril Gibson etc).

All I'll say is this, I used the free Professor Messer videos, the CompTIA Sec+ objectives, a bit of googling here and there and practicing some of the main aspects and threw in a couple of practice tests. Did all this and passed first time within a month. Trust me, you are spending a lot of money on the CompTIA exam and the content really isn't that hard, so I wouldn't suggest spending loads of money on the training resources. It's over-doing it.

(P.S. the Darril Gibson book is good. I would suggest buying that cheaper on Amazon without the additional bits from that website.)
    Understood. Cool, i'll just get the book and use that instead of all the extra bells and whistles.

Many thanks!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT; CCNA Cyber Ops; Network+, Security+, Server+, CySA+; Infoblox
    Quote Originally Posted by D20 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Udemy SY0-501 videos

You should only need Darril Gibson's book. Thoroughly read the book, work through the practice exercises, and then take a practice test or two.

Good luck.
    Q2 '18 Certification Goals: ICND2; JNCIA-{Junos, Cloud}; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE; AWS SysOps Administrator Associate
    2018-2020 Learning Goals: Math (Idaho, Iowa, VCU), CS/EE (Idaho, VCU, Oregon State)
    To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light, or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. D20

Certifications
    A+, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by victor.s.andrei View Post
    You should only need Darril Gibson's book. Thoroughly read the book, work through the practice exercises, and then take a practice test or two.

Good luck.
    Many thanks! I plan on getting the book this weekend.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks